• j9fd3s
    replied
    Re: LIVE NOW - Guest Luthier Series Feature's Hamer's Jol Dantzig

many thanks to evan and jol! very cool!

Leave a comment:

• KeeperOS
    replied

I do realize I'm late but work took the best of me so if it's not possible to answer I'll understand.

Ok, Jol, first of all let me start by saying that I'm a Rock/Metal and a Strat guy but when I think about a guitar I simply will own someday that is the Explorer and when I think about the name on the headstock it never says Gibson or any such. It say Hamer (Standard naturally, Custom preferably, that guitar is pure class!)

My question is also about the Californian (BloodRose and I have a tendency to think alike).
    I know that SuperStrats today are a dime a dozen but one of my two favorite guitars is a Washburn MG-100, a guitar with STRIKING resemblances to Hamers of the day in general (I was later told that many ex-hamer employees had joined the Washburn Chicago Custom Shop when the MGs were designed so that makes sense). That said I would be extremely interested to know whether there would be any plans for a USA version of the Californian (and preferably one without EMGs) since I have an aching suspicion (that comes pretty darn close to certainty) that one such guitar would be the ultimate guitar for a guitarist such as I (ah, forget it, no, what I meant was it would be MY ultimate guitar!)

Thanks again and I'll understand if you won't be able to answer.
    Last edited by KeeperOS; 09-09-2009, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• darnright
    replied

Yes, Thank Evan! This is a great idea. It seems I know so little....

-dave

Leave a comment:

• ImmortalSix
    replied

Big thanks, Evan!

Leave a comment:

• Evan Skopp
    replied

Ordinarily, this thread would end now, 5:00 PM Eastern, but I just got a call from Jol. He had to head out to an appointment. But he's going to come back on a bit later and answer the questions he didn't get to.

Thanks for everyone who has posted so far. We'll announce the winner of the contest later on tonight.

Leave a comment:

• Steve Haynie
    replied

Hello, Jol.

I have been elected to ask this question. Is there any chance of ever seeing an official Hamer checkerboard strap again? The originals have gotten extremely expensive if you can find them for sale.

Leave a comment:

• darnright
    replied

Mr Dantzig, First, Thank you for your very valuable time. Now, my question...is about Hamer guitars. I currently own two USA model Hamers. A 95 FM and an '04 Artist custom. I understand why they sound different, I'm not quite sure why the FM (the newest to me), "feels" so much better when I'm playing it. The body contours are very similar, except the FM has rounded body edges. Just curious if you had any ideas. I think the biggest difference in feel is in the neck, though. Thank you so much.

I have to say that this Artist Custom could be the most beautiful guitar I have ever seen.. Honey blonde and tons of flame!!!!

-thanks,

-dave

Leave a comment:

• dmandude123455
    replied

hi jol, thanks for doing this, i think its really cool that you would go and take the time to answer questions about your trade.

my question whats its like working as a luthier and how/where did you get started?

reason why i ask is because iv become intrested in luthier work and in guitar work in general.
    Last edited by dmandude123455; 09-09-2009, 02:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Fender_Punk
    replied

Originally posted by Jol Dantzig View Post
    I'm sorry man, that was just a joke. When people ask me if I'm related to Glenn, I tell them that, and then start singing "Mother, tell your son to clean up his room, tell him to do his homework too..."

Well, you had to be there I guess.

We've made a few carbon fiber guitars here, and they are not cheap to make. The whole time, people are playing them they are comparing the sound to their wooden guitars, so what's the point really? It's like a plexiglass piano. They have their place, but it's not what I want to do.
    Lol, excuse my ignorance, I didn't catch the difference in the spelling of your last name. Great joke thought! My last name is Hanson so I get asked every day if I'm related to the Hanson brothers, to which I reply "No, I don't play hockey!" (Slapshot reference)

Thanks for your input on wood supply and carbon fibre.

Being a "tree hugger" I welcome the use of alternative materials or harvesting younger forests that are grown for industrial use rather than "old growth" or ancient forests (as I believe the signal chain has the main influence on tone). That being said, I'd rather see Brazillian rosewood harvested for guitars than being slashed and burned.

Leave a comment:

• ganzosrevenge
    replied

what type of neck joints do you think are the best for not only the working musician, but for the one who is at home just playing for enjoyment?

Also, I have seen neckthrus with trussrods in the neck, if such a guitar were to have its relief changed by turning the rod, would that adversely affect the entire guitar structurally, and not just the neck, or just the neck.

What is your view on the methods and mentalities of FMIC and Gibson, and do you think they've done their time and should leave, or that their size does in fact provide positives for the guitar industry?

Jason

PS: Saw your blog, your work is AMAZING!

Leave a comment:

• Andrew Lamprecht
    replied

When you made the Hamer guitars for Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing, did you meet them? Did they seem like good guys?

And

What is your absolute favorite guitar if you could only have one?

Thanks, Andrew

Leave a comment:

• B2D
    replied

Mr. Dantzig - I just wanted to pop in to thank you for doing this Q&A session for us. This kind of look into the guitar industry in a rare treat for us.

My question: In retrospect, can you attribute Hamer's lasting success to any one particular factor, or has it been a combination of things?

And just for fun - what kinds of music do you like to listen to? What are some of your favorite artists?

Do you have any major hobbies or pastimes aside from luthiery?

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

Originally posted by Jol Dantzig View Post
    I had a blast making those designs, but that was then and there are so many people doing it now. We even named the Californian as sort of a tip of the hat to guys we admired. Like we were in an arms race... "OK man, you think you're cool... how about 27 frets?"

Never say never... but I have Mike Shannon's phone number at Jackson if you need it! My buddies over there make those superstrats every day.
    Thank you! I like Jacksons too, but love the old Hamer headstock shape and the boomerangs.. Its just gotta be a Hamer!!

Great insight on the Priest settups!! .007 guage strings?? OMG!! I didnt even know those were made.. Explains why they never used Floyds.

Time is ticking down, so this will be my last entry..
    Jol, again, I thank you and will say that you have a fan and friend in Jax FLA!
    Last edited by BloodRose; 09-09-2009, 02:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Is there anything you would like to build commercially but think/know nobody would buy?

What do you do then? Build it for yourself and be done with it?

Leave a comment:

• Jay 77
    Guest replied

Reading this thread has been the highlight of my day, and I'm sure others will agree! Okay, show of hands - who plans on buying a Hamer now?

Thanks to Jol for doing this and to Evan for making it happen. You guys are class acts.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X