X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wjombat
    replied
    Re: LIVE NOW - Q&A with Blues Saraceno 7/29/10

Thanks for talking with us. I am going to yield the floor to some other folks.
    Colby

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Originally posted by erikm5150 View Post
    Hey Blues,

Thanks for all the funky music!

One aspect of your playing/soloing that a lot of people appreciate is that it moves, grooves and swings... the note choices, the feel... it's all there.

What advice would you give to someone who is trying to incorporate these aspects to their playing?

Thanks!
    Absorb it all as an overview, not lick-by-lick or piece-by-piece. My problem with a lot of current artists is that they don't have their own thing going on and how excited can I get about that?

What impresses me the most is having an identifiable sound. I am very un-excited by people who are great at the execution, but don't have their own sound.

Leave a comment:

• wjombat
    replied

Originally posted by Blues Saraceno View Post
    There are a lot of artists out there that I could learn from.
    OK. So who is the artist you would most like to work with?

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Originally posted by wjombat View Post
    What is it about PAF sounding pickups do you like?
    It's simple. The reason I tend to go towards a PAF is they sound the most natural and the least false. If you have a good guitar sound and it sounds good clean, I let the amps do the work. Because I use the volume pot and let the amps do the work, it's important for me to start with a good clean sound.

What would you like to do with your career that you have not yet accomplished?
    Date Miley Cyrus! No, not really.

I'd like to get my career to the point where I can pick and choose all the artists and talent I work with. There are a lot of artists out there that I could learn from.

Leave a comment:

• erikm5150
    replied

Hey Blues,

Thanks for all the funky music!

One aspect of your playing/soloing that a lot of people appreciate is that it moves, grooves and swings... the note choices, the feel... it's all there.

What advice would you give to someone who is trying to incorporate these aspects to their playing?

Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Originally posted by JohnJohn
    And btw - thank you for taking time to sit down one on one with your fans like this.
    All of us appreciate the artists taking the time as well as Evan and all at Duncan for giving us this opportunity.
    Thank you for YOUR support. It's definitely appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• wjombat
    replied

What would you like to do with your career that you have not yet accomplished?

Leave a comment:

• wjombat
    replied

What is it about PAF sounding pickups do you like?

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

OK, who's next? C'mon, let me have it!

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Originally posted by JohnJohn
    You've long been recognized as a great player and solo artist - did playing with a band known for so many radio hits affect how you approached writing on your own?
    Definitely! It's almost like "different horses for different courses." You can't deny that one of the reasons I took that job is that I wanted to see music from a fan-based view. It helped me expand my approach.

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
    Do you feel like you need a hot rodded amp to get your awesome lead tones, or could you get, within reason, the tones you need out of stomboxes and "a clean amp?"

I've always wondered this, for professionals who rely on a beefy, saturated tone, especially.

Is there truly no substitute for a mean amp turned up to 11?

P.S. Your playing is just absolutely fun to listen to --- you're one of the only players in the world where I know whatever I listen to will be FUN. So thanks!

-Hunter
    I absolutely can get the tones out of a clean amp and stompboxes. That's how my dad started building pedals. I got tired of dragging multiple boutique amps to sessions and I started bringing one amp and a bunch of his different stompboxes depending on what music I had to play that day.

In the studio, there's definitely a substitute to a mean amp turned up to 11. Live, not as much.

The people who have followed my career from the beginning, I take their comments to heart. So I really appreciate when people like you "get it."

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Originally posted by Jeff_H View Post
    Blues,

What is your favorite guitar/amp combo for recording? Also, do you prefer a different combo for live work?
    It's a nearly impossible question to answer. For me, there are different tools for every situation. What I would use for drop tune heavy metal is totally different for what I'd use for classic rock.

Definitely different rules apply for live work. It all comes down to this: I need to be loud!

Leave a comment:

• ImmortalSix
    replied

Do you feel like you need a hot rodded amp to get your awesome lead tones, or could you get, within reason, the tones you need out of stomboxes and "a clean amp?"

I've always wondered this, for professionals who rely on a beefy, saturated tone, especially.

Is there truly no substitute for a mean amp turned up to 11?

P.S. Your playing is just absolutely fun to listen to --- you're one of the only players in the world where I know whatever I listen to will be FUN. So thanks!

-Hunter

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Originally posted by stevie_bees View Post
    Thanks for sparing the time on here Blues.

Do you still get the same feeling when you pick up the guitar today as you did when you first started playing, or has your relationship with it changed?
    When I'm not working under a deadline: yes. Once the art becomes commerce and deadlines and expectations come into play, it's more about execution.

Leave a comment:

• Blues Saraceno
    replied

Hi Blues,
    What is your favorite guitar right now and what kinds of pickups do you have in it? On a side note, I was always jealous of you because we are about the same age and you had already made a name for yourself as a teenager. How much was practice and how much was talent?

Colby
    My current favorite guitar is the Ernie Ball Music Man Reflex. I just did a video for them that's on the Ernie Ball website. It has to be noted that with any Ernie Ball guitar, the first thing I do is tear out the stock pickups and put in Seymour Duncans. I always tend to favor pickups that are close to PAFs. My current favorite are Pearly Gates.

As to your other question, I would say it was 25% talent, 25% practice, 25% opportunity and 25% pesistence. As a side note, my career has always been about making the best out of whatever shows up.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X