• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DanBoul
    replied
    Re: LIVE NOW!!! - Q&A with Peter Stroud with Dan Boul

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
    Welcome Gents! Thank you for taking time to spend with us!
    Dan,
    Ive heard the 65 Amps pack some serious tone, but havnt had the priveledge of playing one. What promted you to build your own amps, how long did it take you to develop the sound you were shooting for? And do you offer or will you offer a "lunchbox" size head with a master volume?

Thank you
    Happy to be here! Thanks for YOUR time!

The impetus was Peter needing to get good tone at lower stage volumes with Ms. Crow. Peter and I were geeking out on the old Ball Amp at the time and out of frustration we decided to make one ourselves . . .but with our usual neurotic attention to detail and we both have wierd bent for doing endless research. Peter was in LA a lot so we had time to flesh it out.

We honestly didn't intend to go into biz like this, it sort of asked us to do it. The response to the first amp we made for Peter's gig started a chain reaction that lead us here. Also, being in LA, we're surrounded by many experienced and highly talented people and we have no ego about getting smart guys to help us!

Leave a comment:

• Peter Stroud
    replied

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
    Peter: Please describe your favorite Telecaster.
    I have many... but the one I still think about is a late '50s Esquire I had during high school years that I've regretted parting with ever since. It had the "thing" with a smaller V-neck. still miss that one.

Otherwise I've really enjoyed my 76 Tele Custom over the years. Love the original front humbucker and it has had SD's in the rear position for the past 15 years...first with a Tele Classic 55 (?), later and still an Antiquity Broadcaster

Leave a comment:

• DanBoul
    replied

Originally posted by lpmarshall View Post
    Not much to ask, just wanted to say I've been using the Lil Elvis head/cab as my primary amp for the last year. Thanks for putting out such great amps!!!!
    Cheers man!! We're honored!!

Leave a comment:

• BloodRose
    replied

Welcome Gents! Thank you for taking time to spend with us! I am at work, so my input to this conversation will be minimal.. And I cant follow along, so I apologize if my questions are repeats.

Peter, tho I tend to listen to heavier stuff, Im a fan of your work with several of the artists you've played with. when/What can we expect from your upcoming solo project? Any interesting road stories?

Dan,
    Ive heard the 65 Amps pack some serious tone, but havnt had the priveledge of playing one. What promted you to build your own amps, how long did it take you to develop the sound you were shooting for? And do you offer or will you offer a "lunchbox" size head with a master volume?

Thank you

Leave a comment:

• Peter Stroud
    replied

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
    I hear ya...

Speaking of your "own gigs"...any chance of a Peter Stroud solo album anytime???
    Not quite a solo gig.. but I've started a smokin band with my pals Audley Freed and Keith Gattis. We're writing and recording now with hopes to have something out by 1st qtr in the new year. It is rippin to say the least ad we;re thrilled with the songs so far. Great band overall.

Leave a comment:

• lpmarshall
    replied

Not much to ask, just wanted to say I've been using the Lil Elvis head/cab as my primary amp for the last year. Thanks for putting out such great amps!!!!

Leave a comment:

• DanBoul
    replied

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
    Hello, Pete and Dan. Thanks so much for being here.

What's your stance on "boutique" amp manufacturing? I understand that attention to detail is important for good design and construction, but is it really that necessary to get the OEM resistors, caps, tubes etc. to achieve the sound? Or is that a whole bunch of jive?
    Good question, sometimes yes and sometimes no. There's a lot of definitions of "Boutique" we only use 1 NOS part that is Allen Bradley resistors of which we have a few hundred thousand of, but otherwise it's not realistic to produce consistent gear with old parts. Some modern parts sound every bit as good as the old stuff, but most of the "mojo" comes from transformers and build quality. I can't tell you how much build quality makes a difference. It was a HUGE surprise to us when we got into this business. I could give you a list of the strangest things that make a significant difference in the way an amp sounds that have nothing to do with NOS parts. :-)

Leave a comment:

• Peter Stroud
    replied

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
    Peter. Do you find a gig supporting a piano to be more challenging than the more comfortable position of playing electric over acoustic guitar? How do you prepare for a more challenging gig like that, where the songwriting is based on piano?
    Honestly, I haven't been in that situation enough times to draw a comparison. But in regard to songwriting that is based more on piano..such as in the case of Sarah M... there can be quite a lot more chordal movement and different voicings. It's all about finding which work best or learning what is there, so having my theory and voice leading knowledge acquired from college days has helped tremendously.

It's always a little more unnerving playing as a duo vs as a band. Even a trio is easier I find.

Does that answer your question?

Leave a comment:

• ginormous
    replied

Hello, Pete and Dan. Thanks so much for being here.

What's your stance on "boutique" amp manufacturing? I understand that attention to detail is important for good design and construction, but is it really that necessary to get the OEM resistors, caps, tubes etc. to acheive the sound? Or is that a whole bunch of jive?

Leave a comment:

• Rich_S
    replied

Peter: Please describe your favorite Telecaster.

Leave a comment:

• DanBoul
    replied

How did you come up with your enclosure design, and how did you justify the expensive packaging over the typical tolex- or levant-covered box?
    One more thing sorry . . .we actually never thought we were going to make more than a few of these . . . they were just for Peter's gig and then the dam broke and we were committed! :-)

Leave a comment:

• Peter Stroud
    replied

Originally posted by Peter Stroud View Post
    Hi Rich!
    the 18watt.com site was one of real inspiration camaraderie and goodwill. We had a lot of friends who helped and as we carried further with our goals for tone and appearance we quickly decided we wanted to create something more of our own. Marketing-wise, we did not want to put out another clone series. We also understood the importance of having our amps stand out onstage for the sake of recognition. The rest was just making something we felt looked really cool.
    and of course.. a lot of time went into tuning the cab's for tone in conjunction with the amps. ...cabinet size, the size of the back panels, open back vs closed, etc. and speaker selection was an extensive process.

Leave a comment:

• DanBoul
    replied

OH yes! And the covering needs to be special for something that is above average right? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Peter Stroud
    replied

Hi, guys. Thanks for joining us today. I was very active a few years back on 18Watt.com, at a time when Dan was there a lot, too. Somehow, the result of my involvment was a single 18 Watter clone, while Dan's was 65 Amps. And so it goes.

I've always admired 65's cosmetics; the 2-tone vinyl and especially the vents on top. As a manufacturing engineer, I assume it was fairly expensive to design those vents, and have them fabricated. I've always thought it was a gutsy move on your part to put in that much work (and presumably money) up front.

How did you come up with your enclosure design, and how did you justify the expensive packaging over the typical tolex- or levant-covered box?
    Hi Rich!
    the 18watt.com site was one of real inspiration camaraderie and goodwill. We had a lot of friends who helped and as we carried further with our goals for tone and appearance we quickly decided we wanted to create something more of our own. Marketing-wise, we did not want to put out another clone series. We also understood the importance of having our amps stand out onstage for the sake of recognition. The rest was just making something we felt looked really cool.

Leave a comment:

• DanBoul
    replied

Hi, guys. Thanks for joining us today. I was very active a few years back on 18Watt.com, at a time when Dan was there a lot, too. Somehow, the result of my involvment was a single 18 Watter clone, while Dan's was 65 Amps. And so it goes.

I've always admired 65's cosmetics; the 2-tone vinyl and especially the vents on top. As a manufacturing engineer, I assume it was fairly expensive to design those vents, and have them fabricated. I've always thought it was a gutsy move on your part to put in that much work (and presumably money) up front.

Thanks for the kind words Rich!

We worked with my neighbor Bill Malone on the design. He's a horror movie director who followed the Beatles to everyone of their N. American shows on all tours. We have extensive discussions about how cool looking Vox's were the first time he saw them . . . old and new at the same time.

So we went for a design that is fresh and new, yet gives a clear "tip of the hat" to our forefathers . . . some good 60's hotrod cues as well . . . vents = 65 Mustang . . . front = split window Vette! ;-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X