No announcement yet.

how different straps change my tone.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: how different straps change my tone.

Originally posted by Lazarus1140 View Post
    I get so tired of strap freaks and their crazy theories. Spend all you want on your slabs of wood and boutique tone suspenders. It all means nothing without a balanced set of brass strap buttons. What good is an expensive strap if you're going to ignore the transference of strap energy to the tone timber? Too much emphasis has always been placed on the "neck joint" while strap coupling has been overlooked.

It goes without saying that savvy players avoid chrome plated buttons due to the inductive losses inherent in the nickel alloys and the resultant tone degradation ... particularly when using the neck pickup on a short scale guitar.
    Amazing! But what happens if i sandblast the chrome off and repaint in black? ?
    I'm truly worried about my chrome now! Gosh darnit all!
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
      ....... But what happens if i sandblast the chrome off and repaint in black?......

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! Chrome rhymes with what? Tone, that's correct. Whew! THAT was a close one.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        See, I really care about strap related tone . . . but I'm a purist. I play without a strap, just leaning the bottom of my guitar on my 4x12 cab and using my fretting hand to hold the neck up. No strap = completely free tone where it sounds like your fingers are flying off the fretboard.
        Of course the tone is completely freed when you're talking about true strap bypass.
        I am so close to retirement that I could play in a band full time. All I have to do is figure out what to use instead of money, improve my playing, learn some songs, and find some other musicians more talented than me who will do exactly as they're told. .

Comment

Originally posted by CTN View Post
          I call BS.

The type of rug you stand on makes a MUCH larger difference to your tone than the type of strap.

I only use boutique Persian rugs like all the pros.
          ****, is that what i've been doing wrong? all this time i've been playing while standing on a POS rug i got at IKEA.
          SOON, WE WILL ALL HAS A FLAVR!!1!

the definition of insanity

Comment

The tone is in the threads!

I guess that kinda applies to straps as well.

cloth covered cables are also superior.

Comment

Anyone heard the new Line 6 modelling strap ? Very close but I don't think they'll ever get the tone of real leather.

Comment

This would be funnier on The Gear Page.
                Custom neck-thru strat
                1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                1995 PRS CE24
                D'avanzo #8
                Breedlove Solo Concert
                1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

geez; no wonder i keep sucking. i use those four dollar nylon straps almost exclusively.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I use a solid wood strap. One large, arched piece of wood glued directly to the guitar body. It takes all 3 of my bandmates helping to put it on, but the strap holds the guitar away from my body, which really brings out the resonance and the sustain is absolutely unparalleled due to the increased mass. I've tried a few types of wood and have found solid Pecan to be the most stable so far. The extra 40 lbs. of the strap digging into my shoulders and spine makes extended gigging somewhat difficult and I've been in the hospital more than once after trying to swing my guitar around during high-adrenaline stage antics, but neither leather, cotton, nylon nor stainless steel (which I've also tried) really give me the same warm and lively tone as this solid wood contraption...

Comment

I know that the wood that the guitar body is composed of affects the tone, but what about if you are standing on wooden floor tiles. If you were playing a mahogany bodied guitar while standing on mahogany floor tiles, would it enhance the mahogany tone? Would one's tone be snappier playing on a maple floor tile?

Comment

i've actually just finished renovating my home so as not to lose the acoustic magic of my own strap; for studio work i exclusively use the seatbelt my mother was wearing when i was birthed.

live i usually use my tactical gear.

HTH,

Comment

Originally posted by dr. ad View Post
                          i've actually just finished renovating my home so as not to lose the acoustic magic of my own strap; for studio work i exclusively use the seatbelt my mother was wearing when i was conceived.

live i usually use my tactical gear.

HTH,
                          Fix'd.
                          Originally posted by DreX
                          Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
                          The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
                          There's no substance to anything I have posted.
                          Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
                          I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

^ both. it was a long drive.

Comment

I put a pink strap on one of mine and I don't even use it.

No wonder I sound like ass.

Comment

One of mine is a leather belt I origonally made for pants. I think this may account for the leggy tone I get.
                                sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                                - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Working...
                                X