banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preamp Tubes for High Gain. Shootout Results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preamp Tubes for High Gain. Shootout Results.

Originally posted by Faraday
    I was at Guitar Center, unfortunately, and saw that they had one 12ax7c left in stock. It was a Groove Tubes Silver Series 12ax7c for $8.95. So I bought it. I haven't fired it up yet because the twins are still sleeping. Has anyone tried these silver series version? Are they decent. I was hoping GC would have the better quality GT 12ax7c's that are recommended by GJ. GT website says that they don't recommend the silver series in V1. I will post my review of these shortly.
    Well I tried the GT Silver Series 12ax7c and found that it is not bad when driven. It sounds 'average' for clean tones. When driven it produced nice density in the mids, but the top end was brittle and ice picky. The bottom end was clear and not mushy. Pick harmonics were a breeze. I played a CustomCustom straight into a THD Univalve with EL34 on Hi voltage with no fx. Nice tube for 9 bucks, but I would like to audition the 12ax7c that everyone hear is raving about. I will still record with my telefunken and use the GT for practice. I also want to try the Sovtek LPS as well.

Comment

bumping this excellent information. Could be vault-worthy.

Comment

I vote for vault material.

When you did this, did you replace all of the pre tubes each time?

Also, tell me more about the JJ E34L's.
        Last edited by Xeromus; 09-06-2005, 08:56 PM.

Comment

Great thread!

Thanks fo rthe info.

Comment

Working...
          X