banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Preamp Tubes for High Gain. Shootout Results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Preamp Tubes for High Gain. Shootout Results.

I have 2 RFT's, and that was my go to tube until I tried the 12AX7-C. I need to pop that in there again, with the "C" in V2, just to compare.
    My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by PUCKBOY99
      You beat me to it!

I tried the Shuguangs in both my Matchless Clubman & Boogie Blue Angel....definitely brings more bite to the board & tightens everything up.

I opted to keep the RFTs in the Clubman though...I dig the vintage Marshall-like fatter vibe.

I also use Ei Silvers in the Boogie 4x10....again, too smooth.

What did you think of the Ei's??? Not enough gain to compete, I suppose.

Right now I'm A/B'ing the Blue Angel 4x10 & a Blue Angel head I picked up....maybe instead of selling one, I'll switch up the tubes & give it a different feel.

GRANTED...these are not high gain amps, but like you say...clean amps can benefit from these tubes too, if you're looking for a different feel.

Good shoot out Joneser....as usual!!!!
      How would the chinese sound in a BF fender circuit?

I dig the tone of my NOS GE 5751's for loads of clean headroom, but i also refer to an LPS when i want some gain. It's a non master volume. Would my BF amp benefit from a chinese tube in the V1?
      2004 50th Anniversary Deluxe American Strat, SETH-N BRIDGE, ANT 2 SURFER MIDDLE, ANT 2 DLX MINI HUM NECK

280K RS guitarworks volume pot, 250k cts tone pots, .047uf paper in oil Jensen aluminum capacitor, running D'addario Chromes 13's with wound g > Analogman Orange Juicer>Acoustic 200H Bass head> Alesis Picoverb> unknown 12'' JBL Orange car speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Imp
        yea - they seem to have a pretty solid agreement with whoever makes 'harma' valves.. i might as well try the harmas tbh.. they sound pretty good

'hotrox uk' sell valves too.. i need to raise funds first

tom
        I got some harma 6L6's from watford. They were delivered pretty rapidly and the valves sound nice. Bear in mind though that these are the first valves I have bought so I only have the original Sovtek's to compare with.

Comment

Nice job GJ.

I think the Ruby's I got from Scott F are the most recent Chinese variation and they are fantastic!!! They beat up everything else I fronted the XXX with.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

So basically i should get 3 Sovtek LPS's for the first 3 positions? What should I get for the next 2 positions in my Tremoverb? I want that nice thick chunk but also warm, shimmery cleans. I'm running JJ E34L's but want to upgrade my pre tubes.
            Looking to Purchase:
            Axe-FX Ultra
            ART SLA2
            Mesa Boogie 2X12
            PRS Tremonti
            PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
            Edwards Les Paul Custom
            Gibson Explorer
            Fender Stratocaster
            Fender Telecaster

Comment

great stuff GJ. Thanks.
              Success seems to be connected with action. Successful people keep moving. They make mistakes, but they don't quit.
              -Conrad Hilton

Comment

The EI's are good tubes, but just a little trebly and can have a ringy undertone when the amp is at full blast. The Gold Elites with gold plated pins are a step better, but they're still more expensive than some of the winners of the shootout.

The EH's are pretty similar to the Chinese, but when I backed the gain down to 3, the sound would get a tad skinnier than with the winners of the shootout. Honestly, it's so close and almost inaudible, that it's not worth fretting about if you've got fresh pre's in your amp.

I mostly did this shootout so that people can go straight to the best, next time they retube their amp, or if they feel like buying 1 tube to make things as perfect as they can.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I keep seeing that the Sovtek LPS are used by Mesa/Boogie. Does this mean that they are stock in my amplifier?

I put a 12AX7M in V1, and it completely kicked the crap out of the stock 12AX7 - however if GJ says the Sovtek tube is better, I doubt I had one in there in the first place. For you Mesa guys, what do you run in V1? I've seen some of you have the 12AX7M's, and some have the C's too.
                  woooooo

Comment

I wasn't 100% sure earlier but Harma is part of Watford valves although they don't actually make them.

Comment

GJ, I've tried several tubes in my Budda....RFT, Jan/phillips, JJ, EH, 12AX7M.....I currently have chinese in V1 and LPS in V2! Sounds terrific!

Comment

Originally posted by rraawwrr
                        I keep seeing that the Sovtek LPS are used by Mesa/Boogie. Does this mean that they are stock in my amplifier?
                        Unless it's changed, I'm pretty sure the stock tubes are Electro Harmonics 12AX7EH.
                        || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                          Tonight, I did a preamp tube shootout, just to see what pre tubes are the KING of high gain. The test amp was my extremely good sounding 50W Marshall Jubilee on Jubilee 4-12 w/Vin 30's and Tesla JJ E-34L's (10% higher output than EL-34's)

I actually lined up my whole collection of preamp tubes and started popping them in one after the next in the 1st position. The other 2 are GT12AX7C's.
                          I listened to the amp's gain from 3 to 10, and listened for thickness, tightness, and sustain on chords and high notes.

First of all, preamp tubes are very difficult to hear all the differences, sometimes there was almost no discernable difference.

I won't bore you with the details of all of them I tried, like the Russian 12AX7A, EI's, EI Gold Elites, Sovtek WXT, JJ ECC83, Electroharmonix, and some Various no-name ones pulled from old amps. All of them sounded good, but I'll narrow it down to the high gain killers for you.

Mullard 12AX7/7025 Made in Britain NOS. Pretty damn good, but just a tiny bit of mush at highest gain settings....gain on 10 fairly loud.

GT12AX7M (Mullard copy) A tiny bit fatter than NOS Mullard, but again, just a bit indistinct and sloppy when gain is on 10. Sounds better on vintage type amps.

Tungsol 12AX7 Current Production. Nice rich tone, tight, and great gain, but the sustain would drop out just a little. Still a great tube well worth buying, but let's move on. Keep in mind, I'm splitting hairs....it's a phenomenal tube.

GT12AX7C or any unlabeled Chinese 12AX7 Shuguang 9th Generation.
                          Now, we're getting into the top rung on the ladder! These are extremely tight on the palm mutes and have excellent sustain for low and high notes!
                          These are what come stock in Bogners and Two Rock's I believe. I use them in my Ecstasy and they sound great! The only drawback is that the overall tone is just a tiny bit narrow in order to give you that super high gain. You get great chunk and sustain, but you may need to back your treble down 1 notch because of it's bite. Killer tube!

Telefunken Hand Selected German NOS. What can I say, it's the most legendary 12AX7 there is! Sweet smooth and sustaining with tight low end chunk even with the gain backed down to 7. With gain on 10, it stays clear and tight, just like the Chinese 12AX7, but it's a tiny bit warmer and sweeter.
                          The drawback? Expensive as hell! Why spend the money when you can get the prior tube or the next one on my list.....the high gain amp winner!!!

The SOVTEK 12AX7 LPS!!! Sweet, smooth, sustaining, the right amount of aggression and low end palm muted chunk at all gain levels. Trust me, I went back and forth about 6 times, shutting off the amp, and swapping tubes between the 12AX7C, the Telefunken, and the Sovtek LPS. It came down to a battle between the Telefunken and the LPS, because it was THAT close.

In summary, if you own a highgain amp like a modern Marshall, Jubilee, Mesa Rectifier, Stilletto, ENGL, Peavey JSX, 5150, Soldano, or other similar amp, it's not a bad idea to swap out your pre tubes for either the GT12AX7C @$14, or the Sovtek 12AX7LPS @$12. The 1st position will make a difference, but you may as well get a set of 3 if you haven't changed them in several years.
                          OK, I hear most people here raving about the GT12ax7C, but now the Sovtek 12ax7LPS has crept in. Are we gonna have to have a poll question now? Which is it the GT12AX7C, or the Sovtek 12AX7LPS? Who cares about price?!

Comment

Originally posted by rraawwrr

I put a 12AX7M in V1, and it completely kicked the crap out of the stock 12AX7 - however if GJ says the Sovtek tube is better, I doubt I had one in there in the first place. For you Mesa guys, what do you run in V1? I've seen some of you have the 12AX7M's, and some have the C's too.

I run gt12ax7m in #1 and fx loop or #4 and 12ax7eh in the other 3 positions in my Rectifier. The #1 fattens everything up and sounds the biggest and in the fxloop tube it fattens the loop signal when engaged only and it doesnt lose its fullness but the Gt12ax7m is not as high output as the EH. I hear the M is only around 103 rated and the EH is around 110. I was told not to use a M int he phase invertor as it is not high enough output to drive your power tubes and is rareley balanced either.
                            My bands links:

PEDL
                            www.myspace.com/pedlmusic

TREBLE BLEED
                            www.myspace.com/treblebleed

KLINK
                            www.myspace.com/klinkdetroit

Comment

I've been using the Sovtek 12AX7WAs in a Carvin X100B and they really loosened up that stiffness and gave it a much rounder, warmer tone-- pushing into that old Boogie territory.

Comment

Originally posted by screamingdaisy
                                Unless it's changed, I'm pretty sure the stock tubes are Electro Harmonics 12AX7EH.

My 2004 Rectoverb came with Sovtek LPS.

Right now I'm liking the new JJ 803 long plate in V1 and stock LPS's in 2-5.

The high gain JJECC83's sounded too dark and lacked detail.
                                Originally posted by Ayrton
                                most of what I hear sounds like a great riff trapped in a terrible song

Comment

Working...
                                X