X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reviews of Duncan Humbuckers for Metal & Heavy Distortion

****IGN HAILS ALEX.
    Man i´m in a amp quest tone.
    i must choose from 4 different amps that MIKI reviewed .
    MARSHALL JCM 2000 DSL 100 HEAD,
    LANEY GH100TI HEAD
    PEAVEYS 5150 II AND TRIPLE XXX.
    and you have the laney that i want to hear.
    can you do a death/black/thrash soundclips and send to me ?
    i must hear THE AMP DISTORTION, not the pod distortion .
    PLEASE MAN.
    do a soundclip to me, in C, D,E . if you do not a guitar tuned in C, d, or E, you can use your 7 strings.
    cause i do not have a 7 strings so, it may be a little different sound.

can you do that for me and send to my email?
    [email protected]
    HAILS AND THANKS IN ADVANCE
    J.P
    Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
    Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
    Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
    Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
    Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
    Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
    Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
    Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

HOLY CRAPPY MAN
      I MUST CONGRATULATE AND GIVE TO YOU ALL TEH KUDOS MAN
      UNHOLY WORK ON THAT FS REVIEW.
      I´M ALMOST CONVINCED IN BUYING ONE TO PUT IN TEH NECK
      I´M JUST WAITING FOR THE DIME59HUM FS NECK TO BE INSTALLED AND I WILL HEAR ITS SOUNDSAMPLE, IF I LIEKD, I´LL BUY IT. NO DOUBT THAT I WILL.
      black/death/thrash/fusion metal TONE hails and kudos.

J.P

Originally posted by TheProphet
      Although I much prefer to search for people asking about the Full Shred ... I contribute.

I've used the Trembucker Full Shred in Alder and Poplar bodied guitars for about 5 years now. It's been run on various different amps and always using 500k volume pots.

I'll try and sum this up easily

Voice: The Full Shred is a very distinct sounding pickup that is very articulate and can easily cut through the mix. Similar to single coil pickups, the articulate nature of the pickup means that string to string picking and runs are clear even under a considerate amount of distortion. Sweep Picking, and Palm Muting are areas where the Full Shred excells. With palm muting, the articulation means that the Full Shred delivers pure "Chunk". Being high output and also having the articulate (you gotta hate this word now) nature of this pickup, I feel it is compressed sounding ... especially clean ... hence why I also use the '59 in the neck.

EQ: The EQ (which I feel is slightly different to voice) is more focused on the upper mids and highs, lows are not boosted that much, but unlike other pickups that I have tried, the bass is extremely tight once you learn to get it out of there.

Common Complaints Some people complain that the Full Shred is harsh, too bright, or doesn't have enough bass ... all of these from my experience can be fixed. The bright and harsh impressions are often from people not re-adjusting their EQ, or the pickup height (important). Generally, taking the time to experiment with these will result in you getting a better feel for the pickup. Not having enough bass ... sometimes I feel the same but I've found some solutions which will be answered in the next section ...

How to get the most from your Full Shred Woods: I prefer it in Poplar ... and I think it'll also be good in Mahognay and other darker woods ... this will help increase the bass responce in the Full Shred. Albeit, Farkus, much to my hestitation over his choice uses it in an Ash guitar and seems to be pleased with the results.

Amps: Closed Backs! Tight Tight Punchy Bass will occur when you mate the right guitar and amp with the Full Shred and a Closed back cab. Once again, play with the EQ and (suprise) the gain settings ...

There's all sorts of things you can do ...

DYK info ... Mr. Betts from the Allman Bros. Band is listed as using the Full Shred in the bridge, and is not a one trick pony, I also use it for Classic Rock, Bluesgrass, Alternative, Blues, Fusion, and other experimental styles of music.
      Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
      Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
      Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
      Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
      Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
      Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
      Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
      Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

The Duncan Distortion (DD) is not trashy at all ... a lot people get turned off by the name Distortion but really a sweet PU. Some people think it's a Boss Metal Zone in a PU - it's not.

It's by far my favorite PU.

The DD produces what a lot of players call a compressed sound which means as you add gain it kinda rolls itself and get thicker and thicker. For example it can sound like Randy Rhoads (what he used) or through the clean channel and very little pedal distortion you get warm fuzz. It's actually quite versatile BUT for a dirty type of sound. The clean is OK but a bit sterile.

It has a bunch of harmonics (like a JB) which I love and a great rhythm. There are more articulate PUs for Vai type stuff (like a DiMarzio Evo) but you will lose the rhythm. The DD is a great mix. Listen to 'Flying High Again' by Rhoads/Ozzy that will give you a great idea. The DD bridge and DD neck work very well together too. The middle position gives you P-90 (heavy early Sabbath tone). It will do Slash very well too. I find it has more bass than the Duncan spec chart shows. It's not dark or bright. If your the only lead guitarist and need both a heavy rhythm and a searing lead tone the DD is it. FYI: The Gibson Iommi is darker and not as compressed.
        Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

As far as im concerned, you can get a real thick mid range punch and big bass with pups like the Duncan Distortion but they all get to compressed and small, i like to be able to play normally and then when i get REALLY pissed off or have an extreme surge of sexually driven aggression and play harder and more aggressive, for my sound to reflect that completely and super hot pickups just dont respond like that, they make the wimpiest attack sound big but unfortunently the best attack sound kinda squishy. But im not one of those "low output pickups are the only way to go" people, those dont always cut it either, so what DO i like.......Screamin Demon! PERFECT metal and hard rock pickup! Full Shred is great to, the Custom 5 and Custom are great to. The Demon just always sounds tight, crunchy, aggressive, articulate AND dynamic. I love it!
          EBMM H-S-H Silhouette

Gibson Les Paul Studio

Fender MIM Stratocaster

Bogner Goldfinger 45 1x12 Combo

Comment

Originally posted by Maximusgordon 2.0
            As far as im concerned, you can get a real thick mid range punch and big bass with pups like the Duncan Distortion but they all get to compressed and small, i like to be able to play normally and then when i get REALLY pissed off or have an extreme surge of sexually driven aggression and play harder and more aggressive, for my sound to reflect that completely and super hot pickups just dont respond like that, they make the wimpiest attack sound big but unfortunently the best attack sound kinda squishy. But im not one of those "low output pickups are the only way to go" people, those dont always cut it either, so what DO i like.......Screamin Demon! PERFECT metal and hard rock pickup! Full Shred is great to, the Custom 5 and Custom are great to. The Demon just always sounds tight, crunchy, aggressive, articulate AND dynamic. I love it!
            Good points and those are things I did like about the C-5 and the Rio Grande BBQ. I am afraid of the Custom for the reasons you mentioned, but I am going to probably try one along with a JB. I really have been interested in a Screaming Deamon and PG lately though.

Comment

I had a Demon in a BC Rich Super Strat for 11 years. Loved it - I did everything with it. It's a Super PAF.

It worked very well with the 2 single coils (Voodoos or DiMarzio SDS-1). The only reason I changed it was because the Gibson Iommi came out. I was curious, tried the Iommi and realised it's probably the best distotion PU available today. Plus, it's constructed for high volume playing i.e. hardly ever feeds.

The only drawback of the Demon are the Harmonics don't jump out as much as on a JB, Distortion, Allen Holdsworth or Iommi.

Comment

one of my guitars is an american strat-maple neck-floyd rose equiped guitar with 2 humbuckers. the floyd rose trem robs base and volumn as some of you may have experianced. I wanted somthing in the neck that would be strong enough to sound good clean with the floyd but still have good strat type tones even when it was split in single coil position. I put in the full shred neck pickup and man was I happy with that. it sounds realy full and lush clean and split clean it sounds pretty close to how a regular single coil sounds. dirty it gets a real cool bluesy clip (unsplit) without it getting to basey and I find my self useing it for some realy cool lead tones. split dirty you can get some great jimi hendrix or stevie ray tone out of it as well. I would highley recomend this pickup for anyone with a strat style guitar equiped with a floyd rose type tone arm.

Comment

anybody else have a review of the dimebucker?

Comment

Originally posted by philthis
                    one of my guitars is an american strat-maple neck-floyd rose equiped guitar with 2 humbuckers. the floyd rose trem robs base and volumn as some of you may have experianced. I wanted somthing in the neck that would be strong enough to sound good clean with the floyd but still have good strat type tones even when it was split in single coil position. I put in the full shred neck pickup and man was I happy with that. it sounds realy full and lush clean and split clean it sounds pretty close to how a regular single coil sounds. dirty it gets a real cool bluesy clip (unsplit) without it getting to basey and I find my self useing it for some realy cool lead tones. split dirty you can get some great jimi hendrix or stevie ray tone out of it as well. I would highley recomend this pickup for anyone with a strat style guitar equiped with a floyd rose type tone arm.

I always thought the FS neck would be a better choice than the Jazz neck.

Especially if you like distortion and a clean sound. Never got around to testing my theory.

Comment

yup that full shred neck cleans up without being thin sounding or basey muted sounding and it wont fart out your speakers at big volumn. it also has a wicked distortion sound and you can get some great lead tones out of it as well as roll of the volumn nob to 8 and get big fat blues-all this with tone sucking floyd rose trem on my guitar. its the best pickup i have heard for pairing a heavy metal bridge pickup and heavy and clean tone neck pick up for a floyd rose trem. I like it much better than the jazz.

Comment

Yeah, Prophet is right...I LOVE the FSb pickup in my ash American Strat. In fact, I like it so much, I'm thinking about chucking the neck pickup, the Pearly Gates, in favor of the Full Shred neck pickup. I was using the neck PG for sweet, smooth leads...and it DOES that, and holds up well with considerable gain. But, now I'm finding since I record a lot, I can switch guitars for that. Now I'm jonesing for a tight, focused neck pickup to go with the FSb; from what I've read the FSn will do that. The FSb gives me Yngwie smoothness with less squeal than HS-3's.

The PGn is probably going into my Wolfgang...along with a black JBb. Many will balk at this choice. But, I'm not afraid to try them or to eq aggressively and adjust pup height, which helps immensely. For example, the ash strat was said to run the risk of being too bright for the FS ( and I appreciate the advice!)...but man, it can cut like crazy, but still has great, fat tone without being shrill in the least. The bottom end? Chunky, tight and responsive. (Prophet, if you get the chance you should try it...amazing tone!)

My other favorite pup is the JB...what a killer pickup. Neck or bridge position for me. You have to put it in the right guitar...preferably one a little light on the mids, to my ears. When you find the right guitar, the JB is probably the best pickup on the planet overall. I'd say that the JB and the FS are neck and neck in the high gain category though...both are great. Nothing says 80's metal like the JB though...

Farkus
                        2007 Strat ('78 bridge, a2 Pro neck)
                        1976 Strat (Antiquity 1 set)

Fender, Mesa, Marshall Amps

Comment

I own a Dimebucker and a Distortion (both in my SG). I love them both, but they are extremely different. I consider them to be like thunder and lightning. The Dimebucker is certainly the lightning, razor sharp, screams with precision. I think it's a great pickup, and, considering how much my amp loves bass, I am actually able to cut through with highs using this pickup. In the neck position, the Distortion is thunderous. It is booming and heavy, and far more low end than the Dimebucker. I can roll the tone back on that one and get some great sounds, whereas rolling the tone off my Dime kills the tone, IMO. I think both pickups are great, and if you love playing really heavy stuff, this is a great combo. I, unfortunately, will be getting rid of these pickups soon because I can only take one electric guitar to college in September, and those pickups are way too heavy to be the only style I can use up there. If anyone is interested in this set, send me a PM.

Comment

So far I like the Distortion the best. The JB seemed to have cardboard highs, and the Dime seemed to have a hollow sound in it. But the Distortion does sound muddy in dark Mahogany guitars. I havn't played the Invader enough to really say about it. I tried the pickups in an LP, and a Strat. I also used Mesa 50 Caliber amps, as well as Marshalls.

Comment

Originally posted by philthis
                              yup that full shred neck cleans up without being thin sounding or basey muted sounding and it wont fart out your speakers at big volumn. it also has a wicked distortion sound and you can get some great lead tones out of it as well as roll of the volumn nob to 8 and get big fat blues-all this with tone sucking floyd rose trem on my guitar. its the best pickup i have heard for pairing a heavy metal bridge pickup and heavy and clean tone neck pick up for a floyd rose trem. I like it much better than the jazz.
                              Amen bro!

FSn believer right here. The thing always stays clear, sweet, and articulate, no matter how much or how little gain you have. Havn't found a better neck pickup for what I play yet!
                              Ibanez RG 470 Hotrodded w/ OFR, SD FS/JB Jr(b)/DD, 90% of original hardware replaced
                              Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby Hotrodded w/ TB, LED indicator, BC109s, will have sweep range selector and booster circuit
                              Carl Martin Rock Drive
                              ISP Decimator
                              BOSS DD-3
                              Laney LC-15R

My Rig

Comment

Working...
                              X