Reviews of the Alnico 2 Pro and Pearly Gates Humbuckers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reviews of the Alnico 2 Pro and Pearly Gates Humbuckers

a few notes of interest about this pickup i should make wile Ime thinking about it. first off- i have never played this pickup in a les paul so i cannot vouch for how it will sound in a les paul. second- i liked it so much i shuved one in a fender strat-maple neck-floyde rose tremelo equiped guitar (in the bridge) and it sounded to thin and trebley becouse a floyde rose tremelo will rob volumn and base tone from any pickup so i would recomend a stronger pickup for a floyde rose equiped guitar ( a medium output or hotter pickup) like a screamin demon wich with the floyd rose tremelo sounds fantastic in my opinion but remember i dont like scooped pickups so keep that in mind. tone sounds i can get with this pick up-amp combo- distortion wise- vanhalen 1 and 2 easily, dokken tooth and nail, zz top lagrange, tush, any hard rock like zep and so on. blues sounds are very taisty and easy to get but remember, thats with an american fender strat-maple neck-vintage trem thru a mesa boogie recto verb amp-useing eather a 2/12 vintage celestion 30's cab or 4/12 vintage celestion 30's cab. hope this helps somebody. also remember this is the pearly gates plus pickup- not regular pearly gates wich is still a great pickup-the pearly plus has a alnico 5 mag-so I am told on this forum-and is wound hotter than a regular pearly gates. some say thru a small speaker it has to much gain and bite. In my opinion this pickup is not the perfect pickup for drop d tuneing thrash, but realy shines for regular tuneing blues, hard rock, some metal, and searing lead tones with high gain amps and 12 inch celestion speakers.
    Last edited by philthis; 05-16-2004, 05:54 PM.

Comment

I have PG's in most of my guitars. It is my favorite SD pickup. Awesome Classic Rock sounds and sounds great clean and tapped too. Rock on Seymour!
      Owner:
      Slamo Custom Guitars
      Doc Simons Miracle Guitar Polish

Comment

I want you to picture this scene... you're playing on stage in a smoky blues bar in Chicago. The smell of fine sweet cigars permeates the room. Glasses of decades-old single malt scotch lines the bar. You're playing a buttery smooth blues line on your neck pickup. Someone opens a door and you can feel Chicago's wintery cold wind across your face. The door closes and you realize it's your job to warm the place back you. So you dig in and heat up an otherwise warm pickup, taking it to new blues heights. The crowd is in your hand once again, winter is forgotten for another hour.

The alnico 2 pros are now my favorite neck humbucker. I have one in my 58 RI Les Paul and it's amazing. I can get that smooth tone I desire and it overdrives with ease. THe A2 mags are just musical, over tones are great. Hard to make a bad choice with this pup.

In the bridge, it was good but not great for my ears. I ended up going with a Custom Custom there. Review on that in the other thread. I do love the A2P/CC combo in a Les paul.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Alnico 2 Pro:
          I bought a set of APH's for a korina Dean V guitar. The pups worked just great for the guitar: compared to the stock units, they were sweeter, rounder and fuller sounding, with better harmonics. Nice, vocal-like mids in the neck position, nice growl and just enough highs in the bridge position.

Later on I tried the set in an alder/maple Strat-style guitar, and they did not work very well with that particular axe. For some reason that guitar is very bright sounding and basically any pickups sounded harsh until I put in a set of high-output ceramic monsters that sort of compressed the highs and upper mids.

Pearly Gates
          Let's get back to that Dean V. I just thought I might add a touch of that Texas sizzle to its tone, so I swapped the APH's for a set of Pearly Gates. Wrong. The PG's were too bright for that particular guitar. I ended up putting the APH's back.

But I used the PG's in my custom made mahogany/maple guitar (mahogany/rosewood bolt on neck, short scale) to great results. That guitar has always sounded very smooth or even too tame to my ears, and I tried 3 various pup configurations before ending up with the PG's. They are likely to stay - they add just enough of those bratty upper mids and highs to add some harmonics and spark to the dark-sounding guitar.
          Gibson Hawk Series guitars rule!

Fave SD pups: Duncan Custom, Alnico II Pro, Pearly Gates, Phat Cats; Nashville Studio and Alnico II Pro for Tele; a Sadducer in my Crafter acoustic.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
            I want you to picture this scene... you're playing on stage in a smoky blues bar in Chicago. The smell of fine sweet cigars permeates the room. Glasses of decades-old single malt scotch lines the bar. You're playing a buttery smooth blues line on your neck pickup. Someone opens a door and you can feel Chicago's wintery cold wind across your face. The door closes and you realize it's your job to warm the place back you. So you dig in and heat up an otherwise warm pickup, taking it to new blues heights. The crowd is in your hand once again, winter is forgotten for another hour.
            Nice description, Scott. Have you ever considered appealing to Seymour Duncan in regards to writing ambient descriptions like this one for different pickups in a pamphlet?

Comment

That description aslo makes you the Bob Ross of guitar pickup descriptions.
              In case you don't know who he is, he is that guy with a big afro who does all the art- oil painting infomercials.

Comment

this happy little pickup lives in this happy guitar thru this happy amp and so on.......... nice idea on atmosphere. :
                Last edited by philthis; 05-16-2004, 09:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X