Reviews of the Stag Mag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reviews of the Stag Mag

Looks like I forgot to mention the Stag Mags!

Reviews please!

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Re: Reviews of the Stag Mag

Well, I tried it out in 5 guitars (mahogany, alder, ash) in bridge and neck positions and it wasn't nearly as "stratty" as a split JB, although it was quiet. it's the only duncan I actually gave up on, took back in anger and forced the shop to swap it for a screaming demon (brilliant) with an extra cash payment (no swap policy in Yorup, see).
    Other people swear by it, so I suppose it must work in some combinations; I should be most interested to hear as I haven't got any Fenders - perhaps that's the problem?

Comment

Quickie sidebar; I gotta say a little thanks to Evan Skopp.
      Somewhere, back in the old forum, there was a thread where someone was asking for a pickup recommendation for something that was medium to low output, with a rich, warm sound. The thread caught my eye because it was what I was looking for also.

Most folks were recommending the Alnico Pro II's.

Evan popped in, and said something to the affect of "Don't forget the StagMags."
      I looked them up, and they seemed to fit what I was looking for.
      Then, John from BlackRose was blowing out a pair on the trading post, and I snagged 'em.

So . . . thanks Evan, for suggesting them. I wouldn't have known about them otherwise.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, I installed a pair of StagMags into a mid-80's MIA Peavey Patriot - a guitar just like my Predator, except with a hardtail bridge, and no locking nut.
      The manual calls it "select hardwood", but it looks like plywood to me. Not the kind you buy at the hardware store, but plywood all the same.

Regardless, it has bumped my 59n/C5b Predator into second place.

I installed both p'ups using 3 position DPDT switches, (on-off-on), so that I could easily select north-coil/humbucker/south-coil operation at the flick of a switch. In conjunction with the standard 3-way, I can get an amazing array of sounds. (For the record, a 3-pos, SPDT switch would work just as well. One half of the switches I have are unused.)

I was actually surprised that selecting either the north or south coils of the same pickup would have that much difference. Its subtle, but still noticeable.

What I like most about these p'ups is, I tend to play "clean", lately, and this guitar was put together for that purpose. All the switch combinations are very clean and snappy. There's no "bassy" sound in any position. Every note is distinct and articulate whether in chords or single notes.

I should probably point out that I play this through a Johnson J-Station. There's no actual amp involved. (Unless, of course, you count the Crown DC-150A that the Johnson feeds.)

I believe that these p'ups have just put my cheapy Johnson Strat out-of-business.

Artie

Addendum: There must have been a "newness" factor here. I still love the Stag Mags, but am moving them to a Strat. Also, the Predator is back to being #1. (Albiet, with a 59b on its way to replace the C5.)
      Last edited by ArtieToo; 05-31-2004, 02:25 PM.

Comment

I've heard the clip you had post in the forum with the previous pickups. I could be interesting if you could post another with the new pickups. Just to see how the sound had changed with the new pickups...

EDIT: just a bit more explanation: I am very interested in the sound of this pickups expecially in series or parallel. I have post some threads in the forum but it seems that not many people are using them...

Thanks...
        Last edited by mongrollo; 05-26-2004, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mongrollo
          I've heard the clip you had post in the forum with the previous pickups. I could be interesting if you could post another with the new pickups. Just to see how the sound had changed with the new pickups...

EDIT: just a bit more explanation: I am very interested in the sound of this pickups expecially in series or parallel. I have post some threads in the forum but it seems that not many people are using them...

Thanks...
          I'll try to get something posted a bit later. One of the things that makes me an "amatuer" is, I can never seem to play the same thing twice. Each "performance" is a one-shot deal.

If nothing else, I'll at least try to run a simple chord progression through each switch setting.

Comment

A Stag Mag was the first S-D pickup that I bought, and I used the 21-day exchange through Black Rose Customs to replace it with a Custom 5.

It was in the bridge position of an H/S/S strat. Split, it did sound a lot like a vintage single coil (think SSL). However, it didn't have the meaty tone of a real humbucker. I like the tone of bridge & middle single coils in series better, personally. Or a real humbucker...

Several guys are using the Stag Mag in the neck position though and really seem to like it there. Hopefully one of them will chime in.

Chip
            Heritage 535 Special, Warmoth frankenstrat, MIM Strat, & Taylor 314C(no E)
            Amp Builds: Tweed Princeton (5F2-A) variation, 2 BF Princeton Reverb clones, & Super Reverb clone
            Sometimes use a Blues Jr., Tech 21 Trademark 10 & Power Engine 60
            SPG modded DS-1, TS-7 & CryBaby; Visual Sounds Rte. 66 & H2O; Guyatone Tremolo
            SD pickups: SSL-2, APS-2, tapped Quarter Pound, Custom 5 & Antiquity humbuckers

"Conan! What are the best things in life?"
            "Girls, guitars, guns and cars!"

Comment

I've used the "Mag" for the past 3 years. It's the Alnico 5 flat-pole version, but with the same winding and output.
              It's fairly thin, bright, and high-output in the bridge, good for Neil Young stuff or more bright, jangly stuff for clean work.
              It kills in the neck spot. Big loud smooth tone that never muds up. It's fairly bright in the neck still, but the mids are just right. It's clearer than a standard humbucker, not muddy period. Split, it sounds just like a good single-coil. For an example of the tone, think of the intro to "Sweet Child Of Mine" by GNR, big smooth "woman tone".

Comment

The Stag Mag is great ... I can't believe Duncan doesn't offer it as a Single coil. It's hot and quacky.

I use it at the neck position of my double Fat Strat.

Yes, it is hot ... I do have to drop the height a bit. What's interresting is that as a single coil (at the height I have it) it's a very nice noiseless PU. When you double it up it simply boost the volume ... it doesn't make it into a humbucker or something like that ... just more volume which is great when you need a transparent boost.

I'm basically doing the exact opposite of what Duncan says to do. They say bridge position = hot double coil but if you want a Strat tone kill a coil.

I think if you put the Stag-Mag in a LP it would really open things up. Gibson meets Fender. But remember this PU is mean looking because of the 2 strat PUs side by side. Like having a bicycle chain up there. It's OK looking on a Strat but on a LP people ask me what that is. Especially when they hear it.
                Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

How are the MIDDs of this pickups?
                  any comparison with other SD Humbuckers?
                  Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                  Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                  Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                  Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                  Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                  Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                  Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                  Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by WITH FULL DISTORTION
                    How are the MIDDs of this pickups?
                    any comparison with other SD Humbuckers?

It's very balanced, not too scooped and not too snappy.

It's not a humbucker at all.
                    Fat Strat into a Soldano, always.

Comment

i would like to hear the stag mag bridge in action for some metal riffs with full distortion
                      anyone wants to record and send to me the clips?
                      and i would like to hear it in the neck, with some 2 hands and sweeped arpeggios.
                      ?!?!!
                      Ibanez RG7420-Evo 7-Liquifire 7
                      Ibanez RG7420-Blaze Custom 7-Air Norton 7
                      Ibanez RG550-Nailbomb-Nailbomb
                      Jackson DXMG-Juggernaut - Juggernaut
                      Ibanez RGT6EX-81-60A
                      Ibanez RGT42DX-BlackHawk - BlackHawk
                      Fender Am Std-Holy Diver-Emerald

Charvel Fusion DLX-81-SA
                      Ibanez SR505 MIK Bass.

Fender EVH 5510 III 50w Head + Custom 2X12 Cabinet W/ WGS Liberator Speakers.

Comment

Working...
                      X