No announcement yet.

A trick for nut work using no files.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: A trick for nut work using no files.

Originally posted by STRATDELUXER97
    Great info GJ as usual...I'm going to try this trick on one of my Teles that has some snug slots on the 1st,2nd,and 3rd strings...Is there going to be room enough in the slot for the sandpaper and the string though?
    You've got to use the very fine 600 grit sandpaper, and it probably widens the slot to the point where you could use 1 string gauge higher.....ie, doing it with a 10 high E, you'd be widening it enough to also use 11. You definitely don't want to use abrasive wood sandpaper, or else you'll sand too much material out of the slot.

And, yes, it's a good idea to detune the note a little, just so the paper slides through easier. You want to drag the folded paper at the same angle the string sits in the nut, so you don't ruin the break off point.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I use an old string of the size and file it back and forth like a hack saw. GJ's sounds easier.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
        I use an old string of the size and file it back and forth like a hack saw. GJ's sounds easier.
        This only works best on the wound strings though,as the plain strings don't remove material...
        Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Another trick I've learned, to keep the strings from binding is putting White Teflon Powder in the slots, which they sell at hobby shops for lubing airplane motors. Graphite makes a black mess all over the nut, but White Teflon Powder does the same thing, and you just blow off the excess like it's baby powder.
          You might even be able to use baby powder, because it doesn't gum up the slots, the powder just makes strings glide through the slot with no resistance.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Scott_F
            +1

Never thought of using sandpaper

Thanks GJ !!

EDIT: i can't find 0000 steel wool in my country. can i use 600 grit sandpaper for cleaning the Fret wires?? thanks
            Last edited by fingerace; 04-25-2006, 07:05 AM.
            Originally posted by Marinblues
            Remember: "Good" is what sounds good to you...everything else is marketing.

Comment

Hey GJ thanks for the tip. I will try it as soon as I get home. I was having abinding issue actually. I thin this needs to go to the Vault
              sigpic
              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
              JFG Flying V,
              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Originally posted by Robert S.
                I do the same thing with automotive feeler guages.

Nice tip!
                +1 on the feeler gauges.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
                Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
                Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
                Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Working...
                X