This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well XI. My name is Curly.

My name is Curly, and I'll be your host of The Well for the next week or so. The Holiday Well, so to speak.

I'm going to start by trying to answer some things up front, such as my background, my playing history, and my work.

To begin with, I'm a native Californian, born in San Diego and grew up out in the desert.

As far as playing, I began playing clarinet in third grade. At that time, we had band in elementary school. My older brothers had a trumpet and a clarinet, and I chose a clarinet. When I was about 12, there was a huge Folk Music boom. My brother had a bunch of Kingston Trio albums, and there was a show on TV called "Hootenanny" that had a lot of the best Folk artists. One artist that made a big impression on me was Josh White. He played a small Martin, and was just a fine player. I got a cheap Silvertone acoustic for Christmas and started taking lessons. I took lessons from a black jazz player named Creon Thomas, who could play anything, and could write charts and lead sheets very quickly. We went through the Mel Bay method, but to be honest, I was a crappy student and had a hard time relating to some of the material. Nevertheless, I kept playing.

As some have said, in those days if you had an instrument you were probably in a band. I met a guy who could play "Walk Right In", which was a big hit, and we started playing stuff together. Ed had a great ear, could play lead, and I loved chords, so I played rhythm. We learned a bunch of Surf tunes from The Ventures, Dick Dale, etc ... "Wipe Out", "Pipeline", and on and on. We started in 8th grade, and played all the way through high school. Our Surf band was called The Risqués. In high school, our band was Your Mother. By then we had moved on from Surf music to a mix of Oldies and Top 40 stuff, but when The Beatles hit, and the British Invasion, that was IT.

We played a lot of Beatles, some Stones, and a lot of stuff from The Who, The Kinks, The Yardbirds, and so on. I saw The Yardbirds on what was probably their first tour of the States. Jeff Beck had recently replaced Eric Clapton, and they JAMMED. That led to our band covering "For Your Love", "Mister, You're a Better Man Than I", and "Heart Full of Soul". I think we were probably the first band around to use fuzz tone, and I would have to say we blew some minds.

As far as gear, my first electric was a Silvertone with a Bigsby and mini humbuckers. I had a small Silvertone amp, and that combo could sound NASTY on stuff like "All Day and All of the Night". I upgraded to a double cut Martin electric and a Jordan 2x12 solid state amp. My friend Ed was playing a Rickenbacker 330 and a Fender Vibroverb, and my friend John had a Framus bass, kind of like Bill Wyman's.

After high school, I headed off to college. I came home on holiday, and Ed was playing bass for a guy named Bill Bolin, who was playing everything from the first Bluesbreakers album, and just NAILING it, tone wise, playing wise, and singing it at the same time. That was my introduction to the Blues. I got the Beano album, started woodshedding, playing hours a day learning one album after another by Clapton, Peter Green, Michael Bloomfield, and others. I was so much into the Blues, so serious, and playing so much that I'd say it affected me emotionally because it was just so DEEP. To this day, The Blues is very much a part of my playing.

Anyway, that's a start. I'll try to add more later, and try to dig up a few old photos.

For those who don't know, there is a lot of stuff on my site, including pics of my gear, some clips, and my famous chili recipe.
    "music heals"
    facebook

Re: The Well XI. My name is Curly.

Whatever happened to Moe & Larry? Did they form their own band?
    Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
    https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
    Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
      Dam! You stole my question!
      FOR GEARJONESER.......... I HOPE THIS ONE IS LESS OBNOXIOUS AAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

sigpic

Originally posted by Stratman
      I never heard anybody say he caught anything from a fly. My cousin gave two guys the clap, and nobody ever whacked her with a newspaper.
      Originally posted by tone4days
      cus 14 y.o. girls get faster every year

Comment

Hey Curly...
        All your guitars have a beautiful finish. What are your top three favourite finishes? They have to be in order, too.

What is your most embarrasing moment?

What are you more interested in modding nowadays: guitars or amps?

What is your favourite track on the Beano album?

What are your favourite foods? Include one 'main meal' type dish and one 'desert' dish.

Rap or metal?

Thanks for playing!
        Originally posted by Kanye West
        Welcome to the real world. Everybody wanna booooo me but I'm a fan of real pop culture!!! No disrespect but we watchin' the show at the crib right now cause...well you know...I'm not crazy y'all, I'm just real.

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
          In truth, Curly was the funniest Stooge, Moe was not a great leader, and signed some poor contracts, not realizing their value. Larry's claim to fame is that Ringo looks a little like him.
          "music heals"
          facebook

Comment

About a month ago, I went to my 40 year high school reunion.

A couple weeks later I got an email from my friend Todd Driscoll with a picture from '67 of "The Stein Club". I'm the short guy in the middle:

"music heals"
            facebook

Comment

great looking stable of guitars, which would be #1 in your heart?
              for sound-
              ease of playing-
              sentiment-
              kick-ass good looks-
              I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Comment

Young Curley! Cool pic!

I wanna know your favorite Peter Green Album and Song

Comment

Originally posted by Rainmaker View Post
                  Hey Curly...
                  All your guitars have a beautiful finish. What are your top three favourite finishes? They have to be in order, too.

What is your most embarrasing moment?

What are you more interested in modding nowadays: guitars or amps?

What is your favourite track on the Beano album?

What are your favourite foods? Include one 'main meal' type dish and one 'desert' dish.

Rap or metal?

Thanks for playing!
                  thanks kindly!

1. of my own guitars, I like my LPB strat, my honeyburst "Teletron", and the burst on my "Stratron" came out very nicely. Not all finishers seem to get bursts right, IMHO.

2. uh, in my younger days, I was at a party. someone was passing around a white powdery illegal substance. I dropped it on the carpet. Actually, I swear it wasn't my fault, but people still remind me about it.

3. I'm more into guitars. Amps are more technical, more geeky in a way, and just plain harder for me. I'm pretty proud of building a 5E3 that worked, but I started a Princeton project months ago, and just quit on it.

4. Probably "All Your Love", partly because I can play most of it. I have tried to get the double stops in "Hideaway" for YEARS, and they still tear me up!

5. If you've seen a pic of me, I like to eat! I grew up eating a lot of Mexican food, and I still love it. My favorite place back in my home town is a little place out in the country called Camacho's place, and I ate there twice in two days when I went home recently. I usually just have rolled tacos, an enchillada, and some beans. I'm also a big fan of good barbeque, but it's not really easy to find good Texas style brisket in California. I'm not so much of a dessert eater, but I do like ice cream and chocolate.

6. I don't have one rap or metal CD. I try to be open minded, but I'm a little bit Old School. I do have an interesting version of LL Cool J's "I Need Love" by Irish Folkie, Luka Bloom.
                  Last edited by Curly; 12-20-2007, 10:28 PM.
                  "music heals"
                  facebook

Comment

Originally posted by darnright View Post
                    great looking stable of guitars, which would be #1 in your heart?
                    for sound-
                    ease of playing-
                    sentiment-
                    kick-ass good looks-
                    thanks!

for sound and ease of playing:
                    for a long time I mostly played my blue Warmoth strat, which has a thin neck and APSs with a Hot bridge. That was the first guitar I wired. Later I put a meter on the APSs, and they were about 7K each!

lately, I've played teles more and more, and my favorite is my black tele with a tapped custom shop set that just sounds KILLER through my old Deluxe - it just compresses and sustains like hell.

for sentiment:
                    has to be my '72 Martin D-28 that I bought new as soon as I could get the cash together. Unfortunately, it's had a series of less than stellar repairs and doesn't sound quite as good as I think it should.

for killer looks:
                    I think my Teletron looks killer, but it is not my best player. I think that's the way it goes a lot of times though, and I'm sure we'd all pick a player over a looker.

I have to add that as I've had more custom guitars built, I've gotten fonder of larger necks. Even though I don't have big hands, I've just gotten more used to the feel of beefy necks.
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Gr8Scott View Post
                      Young Curley! Cool pic!

I wanna know your favorite Peter Green Album and Song
                      Since we're in The Well, I'll say "Oh Well" from "Then Play On".
                      seriously, such a great composition and performance. the funny lyrics that crack me up:

"I can't sing, I ain't pretty, and my legs are thin."

back in the day, I had all of the early Fleetwood Mac stuff, including the Chicago stuff, and an album they did with Eddie Boyd. I always felt he was so soulful, and could be hauntingly sweet one minute, and scarily fierce the next -- stuff like "Rattlesnake Shake" and "Searching for Madge". Just killer.

needless to say, his life story is the stuff that movies are made of, and he'll always be one of my favorite players.
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

Will you ever love Ashley Simpson again?
                        '06 Gibson R8, '94 Gibson LP Jr Special, Fender CS Dirty Dozen Strat, Fender Hotrod '52 Tele, /13 FTR37, Kemper, DrZ EMS, DrZ Plus, Various pedals

Comment

Originally posted by JumpMarine View Post
                          Will you ever love Ashley Simpson again?
                          never! that biotch!

jump was in town visiting, and we planned to go to House of Blues for Sunday Gospel Brunch. We got there, and they said the second show was cancelled to prepare for Ashley Simpson's evening concert. There were a bunch of teeny boppers hangin' around, just waiting to see Ashley.

biotch!

I've been to a Gospel Brunch, and it's my kind of music, and my kind of food!

We'll get there one day, Ryan.
                          "music heals"
                          facebook

Comment

Hi Curly. Can you elaborate on one single event in your lifetime, that you learned from, and which is something others could learn from as well?

Can you name one single band or artist which you think should be obliagory listening for us kids?
                            My Soundclick

Comment

Curly.

Having you do the holiday season well is well just the best way to enjoy this season....
                              Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
                              When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
                              Red Devils - 1% all the way!
                              Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
                              Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Working...
                              X