banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Well XXXIX - Class is in session, time to get schooled!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Well XXXIX - Class is in session, time to get schooled!

Hey guys,

B_Bent asked me to do The Well this time around.... Most of you are probably saying "who the heck is this guy?!" ... I guess I do more reading than I do posting, but I'm on here every day basically, and unknowingly you all (read: some of you) provide me with a lot of useful advice.... SOOOO... Ask away and I'll respond as soon as possible... I'm a music teacher so it's hard for me to post during the day, but I'll get around to it.

Thanks,
    -Andrew-
    (Andrizzle)

www.guardiancustoms.com

Re: The Well XXXIV - Class is in session, time to get schooled!

Tell us about your formal education and how that ties in to what you do with your life now.

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939 View Post
      Tell us about your formal education and how that ties in to what you do with your life now.
      I have a B.S. in Music Education. At the moment I'm in my second year of teaching and I teach Elementary Music (Grades K-5). It's a pretty incredible gig honestly... I didn't really want to do Elementary to start off, but I really enjoy it a lot more than I thought I would, and the hours are incredible, my day is laced with 45min. - 1.5hr. breaks during the day at times... I teach in a small rural area about 45 minutes north of Atlanta, it's a fairly poor area but the kids are great! After school I teach guitar lessons, some days I go over to the local high school and teach saxophone lessons (my primary instrument)... It's a good amount of extra cash that helps with the GAS. In the next couple of years I plan on moving on to middle or high school (while attending grad-school for my Masters in Music Ed.) teaching band and whatever else they have me do.

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

How did you get into the laser engraving stuff that produced my awesome looking neckplates?
        Originally posted by Empty Pockets
        yngwie sounds like an orchestra of cartoon bees.

Comment

Originally posted by scottish View Post
          How did you get into the laser engraving stuff that produced my awesome looking neckplates?
          **(FOR THE SHORT VERSION SCROLL DOWN)

My dad owns an trophy shop in town that also does engraving (rotary and laser)...

I've worked there off and on for about 5 years while in school. I developed his entire engraving side of the business so that we can do custom orders and what/not. The last year of my schooling I worked there full time and developed my own techniques of custom-engraving things. (Not to say that people can't replicate what I do, but most of the stuff we do I figured out by trial and error) Now that I teach full time I go in occasionally after school to help him out when necessary. Sometimes when I'm on breaks I connect via www.logmein.com to his computer at the shop and fix minor things for him.

I still do all his really custom orders (non plaques and/or standard things) and enjoy doing the guitar stuff in my spare time, like pickguards, neckplates, and stomp boxes. I'm about to get a shipment of new material (1/8in. acryllic) to try and do pickguards with in the future... If it works out well, they should be much more defined than the ones in the past, however, I'm worried that it'll scratch a lot easier.

**What a long rant to basically say "My dad owns an engraving shop"

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

What's the funniest thing that's ever happened with little kids in music class?

What if there's a kid with zero musical potential? How do you get them to sound good with one kid that's hopelessly making noise? How do you tell the parents?

Do you ever get GAS for saxophone gear, or just guitar gear?
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Tell us about that sweet Tele in your avatar.

Comment

What occurs before you "drizzle?"
                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

So why don't you post so much? Most of us have day jobs....I think...
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post

1. What's the funniest thing that's ever happened with little kids in music class?

2. What if there's a kid with zero musical potential? How do you get them to sound good with one kid that's hopelessly making noise? How do you tell the parents?

3. Do you ever get GAS for saxophone gear, or just guitar gear?
                    Answers:
                    1. Funniest moment was about a year ago when I was teaching Kindergarten kids about "PITCH" ... I was having them say the word back to me and then the definition.... so I said "PITCH" and most of them responded with "PITCH" however there were a few that said the word with a "B" instead of a "P" which made them all want to say it with a "B".... so I had to spend the next 10 minutes annunciating the difference between a "B" and a "P".... that taught me to write the word on the board before saying it in the future

2. At the moment I mainly teach general music... mostly basic theory, some history, genres... that sort of stuff. That doesn't apply a lot in my day-job, especially when the most "potential" showing is at PTA meetings... However, in teaching lessons I have run across that a few times, mostly in singing. I believe that everyone (except VERY FEW) have the potential to sing, but some are more naturally able. I'd never tell a parent that their kid isn't able... At the ages I teach, I'm just happy that they're interested in music! I'd rather ruin a concert with some bad singers than discourage a kid from singing/playing/being involved with music somehow.

3. I do get saxophone GAS on occasion, it's way different than guitar GAS though... A couple of things:

3a. I play sax often but not as often as I should, I got REALLY REALLY REALLY burned out on it in college because I was playing in different bands symphonic/wind ensemble/jazz/etc. every day, and I would practice sometimes 4-8 hours other than that. So, unfortunately, I don't get the thrill out of it like I used to before it became like a job.
                    3b. Sax gas is different because I have really incredible saxophones, and like guitars there are 'elite' instruments which I kinda already own... I don't really want others because of how incredible my setup sounds at the moment. Sax gas is more like curiosity... Like I'm curious how this mouthpiece will sound with that reed and that neck made of a certain metal.... it's hard to figure out exactly what you want the sax to sound like because they don't let you just walk into a store and try out a mouthpiece (think of all the germs)... so generally you have to end up buying it and then trading with others (yes, there are sax forums for this) or selling somehow.

So, the short answer is yes, and no... haha

Originally posted by Lucid_Lunatic View Post
                    Tell us about that sweet Tele in your avatar.
                    That sweet tele is a beautiful MIM Nashville Tele I found at GC one day, and the guy ended up selling it to me at cost. I took it home and instantly started doing a pickup upgrade, it's got a SSL1-Neck, APS1-Middle, SD Jerry Donahue-Bridge, it's got sweet glassy, smooth strat tones to crisp, twang in the bridge. It's a 2 in 1 guitar and I love it. I engraved the pickguard out of a piece of Lucite a while back and absolutely love how it looks on there! It's also got orange drop caps/superswitch/straplocks/the usual.... I love it!

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                    What occurs before you "drizzle?"
                    A tightness in my bladder area

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    So why don't you post so much? Most of us have day jobs....I think...
                    It's not because of my job... I don't know really... I just spend so much time reading I guess I neglect the other part of being a participating member... Maybe I'm just lazy

keep em' comin guys!

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

Which saxophone is your favorite? Also, you should look at this, my favorite saxophone related website: http://www.eppelsheim.com/eb_kontrab...on.php?lang=en

Comment

Originally posted by dd12939 View Post
                        Which saxophone is your favorite? Also, you should look at this, my favorite saxophone related website: http://www.eppelsheim.com/eb_kontrab...on.php?lang=en
                        I like that link... I've seen those before, they're kinda a novelty in the sax world... everyone would love to own one but there's just no real-world need for them... but definitely cool!

As for my favorite sax... do you mean brand/model? If so I guess like everyone I'd love to own a late 60's model Selmer Mark VI tenor sax... but they're a bit pricey for my budget.

if you're asking which type I like most... I honestly would love to play baritone sax more often if the parts were more soloistic (however, it's a more bass/background instrument... IME) however, I really get a kick out of playing a great tenor solo, when I play tenor it feels like I'm singing, almost natural

all this sax talk makes me wanna go practice for a bit... I think I'll go do that... I'm in my music room at the house right now, I'll take pics of this room on my phone tonight and post them tomorrow

thanks for the questions!

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

As sax goes, who is the "hottest" sax chic, with street cred? You know, the Candy dulfer school of cool/smooth jazz with a rack and stems?

And what is the 1957 Gibson Black Beauty of saxaphone?
                          Originally posted by Bad City
                          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                            As sax goes, who is the "hottest" sax chic, with street cred? You know, the Candy dulfer school of cool/smooth jazz with a rack and stems?

And what is the 1957 Gibson Black Beauty of saxaphone?
                            In all honesty I can't even name an ugly female sax player with street cred, so sorry on that one.

As far as holy grail of saxes - the Selmer Mark VI's from the sixties are the most sought after and I think they have the sweetest tones! The way I understand it the Selmer Company lost all the machinery in a fire and they have never been able to reproduce the same product since

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

I play in a band with a 3-5 piece horn section, and I love listening to the sax players. I've also always had a bit of that 'try to play like a sax on guitar' jones. Do you try to play sax-like stuff on guitar, and if so, do you have any hints?
                              Originally posted by Jolly
                              ...but then again, I'm so deaf I can't even hear myself fart.

Comment

Working...
                              X