banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erlend the Viking here! :D Please give me some attention, and questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

I wouldn't do that, not even for you! I'm just a diamond in the rough and a real d!ckhead. But at least I never lie about it.

Joking aside, I did not finish the degree. Things went south on a personal level with my PI to the point where I'd gag from the thought of a lab or pipette. I LOVED doing it. I'd sleep at the microscope, spend 40+ hours in there and when I wanted to go home to sleep I got something like: "Isn't it too early for that? 40+ hours? Who cares? Do you expect a medal for that?" and the likes. It took me about two years to make the decision and in the meantime things escalated to unprecedented lows. So one day I went in, packed my stuff, cancelled my scholarship and never looked back. That guy made me hate something I loved and dreamed of doing since my childhood. And actually it's not just him, during those years I got to peek into the disgusting world of peer-reviewed and impact factor driven science that made me realize that a researcher's life today is about forcing out papers to get the next grant, not about science. Actual science is but a byproduct, a sideshow of the hierarchic capitalism (as I named it) of today's science. Of course there are sincere, genuine scientists out there, but based on what I saw, those are the ones who are without grant money and a proper group, locked away in the far corner of the building in a small office.

We did have a rather nice closing ceremony though, as the guy sued me for stating facts about him supported by hard evidence in an effort to call attention to the way PhD students are handled. He got humiliated in court, his claim withdrawn, case dismissed. Of course the story has many wrinkles and I am not without a fault either, but believe me: this situation was way beyond of what my character flaws would warrant. Many sided with me, but none of them had the balls to speak up when needed.

Since then I turned my back completely on what I spent the better part of my life learning, threw out most of my books and keep replacing everything with music, friends and family. My former PI of course published everything I did without mentioning me in the papers. But I sincerely don't care. At times I am bit sour about it as I know that my Mother and my granny would've been super proud if I pulled it off. But Mom's a goner and granny understood that I'm better off not wrecking my mental and physical health while earning a few extra letters on my ID card.

But most of the time I feel free. Got a job in different city with money enough to keep me afloat, I can work from 6 am to 2 pm, a supportive partner and a kickass cat, a way more mature attitude and way to learn and study music. So I'm cool with how things turned out, I just wish I had arrived to this point where I am now a bit sooner than 36.

Sorry Erl for hijacking your thread!
    Be happy that it only took you to 36. And very seriously, congratulations. Keep it up!

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Comment

Erl the Viking, is moving next week-

And for all that I know, I won't be back online for several weeks.

But! Please continue to answer my questions, write me PM's, and don't forget about me.

I'll be back here in a "minute" .

With a full review of my life situation, new apartment- and everything you REALLY DONT WANT to know!

Rock on!! \m/

-E
      If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Methadone won't fix you, just delays the problem indefinitely.

If you want to taper off, you can use Immodium (yes, the diarrhea pills), which are technically a piss-weak no-high opioid.

Take enough so you're not too shaky, then take 1 less every day or two.

caution: Don't eat cheese or any constipatable foods or you'll wish for death, though.

And do quit drinking. Alcoholism easily substitutes for opiate addiction.
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
          Methadone won't fix you, just delays the problem indefinitely.

If you want to taper off, you can use Immodium (yes, the diarrhea pills), which are technically a piss-weak no-high opioid.

Take enough so you're not too shaky, then take 1 less every day or two.

caution: Don't eat cheese or any constipatable foods or you'll wish for death, though.

And do quit drinking. Alcoholism easily substitutes for opiate addiction.
          Hey man,

Like things are today- I'd rather drink my methadone + a bottle of rum every day-

than to sit here with things around me, being the way they are. It makes me feel completely miserable.

Personally, things are OK; (with that I mean- inside me, there aren't any issues going on.)

I hope to be starting a new and better life next spring, starting with moving away from "this", and towards somewhere in Southern Norway.

In the south, things are completely different. You can catch a train, and be in like, 5 different cities, within two hours. About 1000x the people, and also opportunities for making musical connections, experiencing things- personal development.

I've been sitting in the middle of nowhere; far north of the polar circle; and waited for "life to be cool" for ten years now. Only thing that has kept me here, has been my family.

There is very little for ANYONE here, except people with houses, familys, and work. They seem to thrive. But, I've wasted my 20's utterly and completely.

The health-care system ; that "should" have been there to help me- has been so poor, that I don't think it has helped me at all. At "best", it managed to fool me into thinking, that I was "getting help"- instead of taking more control of my own situation.

I wish for a nice, quiet place to live- where I'm safe from any crazy people (including landlords, government staff, etc.) ... With the option to rest, if I want so (I'm on 100% welfare because of serious disabilities, ). And maybe take the train into a city, if I want to meet people, hear a concert, "go out".

Also, I've given up on women. I can't stand "people" anymore... I'd like to live with a cat, though... if my life situation gets good enough. And my home is a stable place, suitable for a feline.

5 minutes, and I (we) are starting moving my stuff, to the other apartment, where I'll stay over the winter.

All this stuff is making me feel *miserable* (stressed out, restless, sad, angry...).. but I try to stay calm. Forget about all the ****. (Who cares about **** anyway.).

I'll be back, and reporting- when I get my PC aswell as internet up and running.

See ya!

-Erl
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Hey if you're on Norwegian benefits, then you're probably better set than 95% of the world's working population.

In that case, definitely move somewhere where you have other distractions than drink and substances.... or at least switch to mildly less toxic obsessions, like fitness or video games.

Cats are definetely good a bit of warmth and positivity. Although already-reclusive people who get cats can sometimes end up in a "screw humans, I prefer the company of cats" mindset that isn't particularly healthy either
            "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
              "screw humans, I prefer the company of cats"
              My thoughts and feelings exactly! If I could hit a button that would turn me into a cat and the best hunting buddy of our cat, I'd already be a cat. My partner agreed to feed us and take care of the litter box, the only thing she insists on is that we sleep with her in the bed every night. (talk about having a true, unconditional partner!) I'd miss playing guitars though... :/

Comment

Yeah, cats RULE! :o

... as I said.. just this last winter to go.. and I'll be moving, starting my "new life"- that I should have begun 10 years ago.

Thanks for all the replies, guys!

Rock on!

-Erl

Comment

Here's our little beast.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                    Here's our little beast.

Say "meow" from me

I love cats!

It it a "siamese"? :o

Comment

Yes, she is and I will.

Comment

This well is deep, yo.

Seriously - I enjoyed reading, some raw powerful stuff and quite the history you've got. I hope you are settling in nicely in south Norway

Your old profile pic from the mid 2000s is still in the matrix...

For when you return, what is your favourite amp model right now? 12 years ago?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk

• EBMM JPX BFR (Crunch Lab/Liquifire)
                        • Schecter C-1 Classic (Custom8/Jazz)
                        • Mayones Duvell 7 Standard (Instrumental SFTY-3/Decomp)
                        • G&L Tribute Comanche
                        • Godin Stadium 59 (Custom Cajun/'59)
                        • Horizon Precision Drive --> Fulltone FB3/FD 2 --> Crybaby From Hell (Fasel) --> Boss BF-2 --> CH-1 --> TC Flashback X4
                        • Mesa/Boogie Mark IV-B (SED =C= 6L6) + EarCandy BuzzBomb 2x12 (V30/C90)

Comment

Originally posted by Metalman_666 View Post
                          This well is deep, yo.

Seriously - I enjoyed reading, some raw powerful stuff and quite the history you've got. I hope you are settling in nicely in south Norway

Your old profile pic from the mid 2000s is still in the matrix...

For when you return, what is your favourite amp model right now? 12 years ago?

Sent from my SM-N986W using Tapatalk
                          Thanks .

I do my best, to be open and honest, about myself and my life. Maybe I should not be too naive; some people "out there" will search for ones weaknesses, and use it against you.

Things are going so well right now, (and in the next months, I hope), that I'm tempted to stay here for, let's say a year. The government is finally offering me a place to meet up, some simple work, the right support- and medication. I've even messaged some "local" musicians on Facebook, we might meet after new-years, atleast after the hardest winter is done. (It's all ice-cold, and dark. Until mid-march).

I think my favourite amp, has to be a good Fender Princeton Reverb, with a 12". Or one of those Ampeg 15w combos, that were only made in a few months. (After wasting a months savings- I couldn't get one; they were discontinued. But, what a haunting 6v6 tone, with a beautiful, almost "dark" spring reverb,

Living happily with a Blackstar HT-20mkII, I'm no big fan of the digital reverb. But, atleast it has "real" tubes, and do the deal for home use, and small gigs .

12 years ago, I played an 80's Marshall 50w transistor combo, 2 channel, with spring reverb. I hope it's put away somewhere; I burnt something inside it, and then we had the "house n everything burnt down" accident. . It was a very, very good amplifier. Didn't make you miss tubes, at all. "The" essential 80's Marshall tone, at "dead quiet" volumes; with no extra pedals needed. :/

I miss that amp. (And sometimes, all the other gear, things, days I've had).

Sorry for the short reply, I need to be going now;

for my "daily" stay at the "welfare center"

rock on \m/

(Brothers of true Metal, proud of standing tall!)

-Erlend

Comment

Are you trying to learn to play new musical instrument?

Comment

Originally posted by HardisS View Post
                              Are you trying to learn to play new musical instrument?
                              Not right now-

I'm trying to play my electric guitar, as good as i can- though. The quality of my instrument and amplfier; is so good-
                              that I am the limitation! :o.

I am considering, if I should, or should not- buy another bass guitar, bass amp, keyboard +++ in the future. As mentioned, I have owned ALOT of great instruments, but lost it all.

So far, I'm very comfortable, being happy with what I got.

An instrument I'd like to own and play, is the Djembe. It's the perfect acoustic percussion instrument, in an acoustic, low key setting.

At one time, I owned a... "plastic recorder/ clarinet". It had a brand name. It was real fun, but I think it was stolen? . I'd like one of those, but in real wood. (Imagine a recorder, with a clarinet/saxophone reed).

-Erlend

Comment

Har du vært i Estland?
                                Originally posted by Gearjoneser
                                Put the two together, and make it Kambone.

Comment

Working...
                                X