banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erlend the Viking here! :D Please give me some attention, and questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Each and everyone I met from up North spoke excellent English. Some even better than native speakers. I once tried to learned Swedish, didn't get far because I got derailed by my interest in a woman, but it waas still fun. On the basic level, I'd say it was easy, like 40-40% mix of German and English with some added flavor and as far as I know Norwegian is very similar. Not the same, but they understand each other by speaking their own language.

When I was a PhD student I had to give classes to students and we had many from up North. A group of Icelanders told me about the "laanguage hierarchy": Finland is the odd guy out, not one of them, it's just "Perkele vodka Suomi". According to them Icelandic is of course the OG Norse languange and they make fun of Swedish because its "soft", then the Swedish do the same with Norwegians because its even softer and all three of them make fun of Danish because it sounds like gibberish I had a great laugh, they were so cool about it and meant absolutely no wrong. It was nice to see that people from different nations can poke fun at each other and then laughing together on the joke. Definitely a different attitude...
    Yeah,

Swedish is all about "tutta pannan, fyka lôken, pilla krassan"

and the Danes sound like they got a potato stuck down their throats XD

\m/
    If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

Norwegian is quite similar to English;

And "everyone", meaning every children in school, is taught english from grade 1. There's also alot of english shows on TV; that along with subtitles, helped me learn English at a young age. Also I learned alot from the internet, hanging around here on this very forum, in the age of 12.-15 years old.

Many of the words are actually the same, or similar. The grammar is also similar;
      I guess it's maybe the easiest language for an American or English person to learn.

Swedish and danish is so similar to norwegian, that if you know one of the languages, you can understand both the others. (With the exception of one wierd word, or so).

Good luck .

Since Norway is so long and thin, there's very different dialects ranging from south to north. There is also two official languages, "Bokmål" (book speech), that's most common- and "Nynorsk", (new norwegian) that was started by some wierdo a hundred years ago. I'd not personally bother about the "nynorsk" .

-Erl
      There's pockets of the US where it may as well be a different language.....backwoods Arkansas/Missouri......always to me sounds like a banjo getting plucked hahah..........go far NE you get the chowdah of Boston......Backwoods Boston or Maine as its called locally hahah, while different, but not a lot .... being one of my favorite hilarious dialects, it always makes me smile
      Texas, etc.........really slowed down lazy drawls.......there are no real western US accents, other than that annoying stupid valley girl or stoned surfer........ as nobody there is really "native" just a hodgepog collection from everywhere else lol.

Comment

Each and everyone I met from up North spoke excellent English. Some even better than native speakers. I once tried to learned Swedish, didn't get far because I got derailed by my interest in a woman, but it waas still fun. On the basic level, I'd say it was easy, like 40-40% mix of German and English with some added flavor and as far as I know Norwegian is very similar. Not the same, but they understand each other by speaking their own language.

When I was a PhD student I had to give classes to students and we had many from up North. A group of Icelanders told me about the "laanguage hierarchy": Finland is the odd guy out, not one of them, it's just "Perkele vodka Suomi". According to them Icelandic is of course the OG Norse languange and they make fun of Swedish because its "soft", then the Swedish do the same with Norwegians because its even softer and all three of them make fun of Danish because it sounds like gibberish I had a great laugh, they were so cool about it and meant absolutely no wrong. It was nice to see that people from different nations can poke fun at each other and then laughing together on the joke. Definitely a different attitude...
        Yeah that'd be nice! hahah would be a culture shock to me.

Comment

We north-norwegians, use to travel across the border to Finland - "Kilpisjarvi- "Kilpis Halli- shop" to buy cheaper beer, booze , tobacco-

aswell as a multitude of delicacies; like liqurize, chocolate, among other things . Their famous "grilled pork ribs" that are bought cooked in the store, are a must-have;

to throw in the freezer for later .

I spent a ton of money there the last time. Sadly, the finnish food is sooo good, it doesn't last a long time .

-E
          If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

The epithome of guitar sound to me, btw ...

just listen to the opening riff ...

it's LOUD!! The rattling of 4x12" cabinets, like drum shells!

.... ...

\m/

Comment

As I just wrote in another post;

I got my new webcam working!

Click image for larger version

Name:	118988827_626741171545765_4879859205664102036_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=Yja2qmd_DWIAX_zm99k&_nc_ht=scontent.ftrd1-1.fna&oh=244212fd4163d704d08e97857bbfab34&oe=5F7FBEF2.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	6015577

I promise I'll record some guitar videos; some pictures of my gear, apartment and so on...

i first just need to get used to, having a camera . I hope the sound quality is "allright", unfortunately my amp is facing the wrong direction; but I'll see what I can do .

Any wishes for guitar playing?

-Erl \m/

Comment

^^^^why does your Facebook page list you as being female?

Comment

Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  ^^^^why does your Facebook page list you as being female?
                  Because I want to fool the government! :o

also, I get adverts for menstrual pads \m/

-Erl

Comment

Have you thought of joining an MMA gym to get rid of your psychological issues? Maybe you'll meet chicks there and possibly build a career. Is MMA big in the Nord?

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
                      Have you thought of joining an MMA gym to get rid of your psychological issues? Maybe you'll meet chicks there and possibly build a career. Is MMA big in the Nord?
                      Mixed Martial Arts? :o

I might as well start hitting myself in the head with a mallet

never been much of a fighter, :/ but fortunately, I've made it for 30 years without a single fight. When the day comes, though, I'm afraid I'll either run or take a beating XD.

My father used to attend different self-defense classes, Tae-kwon-Do, kick boxing and what more :o. But I never had the interest....

also my best friend was murdered in a "fight". Well, the killer said in court it was a fight; (most likely he was stabbed in the back while not knowing what was going on).

I'll try my best to stay out of trouble...

..I think there might be some self-defense or MMA club in the city of Tromsø, but I live quite afar from there.

I guess I'll find something else to do, but thanks

-Erl

Comment

You have a doctorate degree? So you just dumb down your intellectual level all this time so as not to cause friction? Lol...

Comment

Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

Mixed Martial Arts? :o

I might as well start hitting myself in the head with a mallet
                          Never saw the appeal either......I mean if someone likes paying good money to get sweaty and go rolling around on a mat trying to choke, break arms/legs and just generally be taught to beat on other people power to ya, to each their own and all that. I did wrestle in grade and high school and some in college, but am shocked seeing some of the mostly old ass men clientele at some of these strip mall MMA places. Better shot at a yoga class if you want any actual physical and psychological benefits or meeting anyone Some pent up aggression to work out? I hear guitars are good for that

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post

You have a doctorate degree? So you just dumb down your intellectual level all this time so as not to cause friction? Lol...
                            I wouldn't do that, not even for you! I'm just a diamond in the rough and a real d!ckhead. But at least I never lie about it.

Joking aside, I did not finish the degree. Things went south on a personal level with my PI to the point where I'd gag from the thought of a lab or pipette. I LOVED doing it. I'd sleep at the microscope, spend 40+ hours in there and when I wanted to go home to sleep I got something like: "Isn't it too early for that? 40+ hours? Who cares? Do you expect a medal for that?" and the likes. It took me about two years to make the decision and in the meantime things escalated to unprecedented lows. So one day I went in, packed my stuff, cancelled my scholarship and never looked back. That guy made me hate something I loved and dreamed of doing since my childhood. And actually it's not just him, during those years I got to peek into the disgusting world of peer-reviewed and impact factor driven science that made me realize that a researcher's life today is about forcing out papers to get the next grant, not about science. Actual science is but a byproduct, a sideshow of the hierarchic capitalism (as I named it) of today's science. Of course there are sincere, genuine scientists out there, but based on what I saw, those are the ones who are without grant money and a proper group, locked away in the far corner of the building in a small office.

We did have a rather nice closing ceremony though, as the guy sued me for stating facts about him supported by hard evidence in an effort to call attention to the way PhD students are handled. He got humiliated in court, his claim withdrawn, case dismissed. Of course the story has many wrinkles and I am not without a fault either, but believe me: this situation was way beyond of what my character flaws would warrant. Many sided with me, but none of them had the balls to speak up when needed.

Since then I turned my back completely on what I spent the better part of my life learning, threw out most of my books and keep replacing everything with music, friends and family. My former PI of course published everything I did without mentioning me in the papers. But I sincerely don't care. At times I am bit sour about it as I know that my Mother and my granny would've been super proud if I pulled it off. But Mom's a goner and granny understood that I'm better off not wrecking my mental and physical health while earning a few extra letters on my ID card.

But most of the time I feel free. Got a job in different city with money enough to keep me afloat, I can work from 6 am to 2 pm, a supportive partner and a kickass cat, a way more mature attitude and way to learn and study music. So I'm cool with how things turned out, I just wish I had arrived to this point where I am now a bit sooner than 36.

Sorry Erl for hijacking your thread!

Comment

hey Nexion, cool to hear your story!

I'm glad you told it to us.

I wish for a "better" life myself, next spring I've decided to move to the south of Norway,.

To somewhere, where I can take the bus/train 1-2 hours, to get to, and from a bigger city.

And still live in a nice apartment (or hopefully, a tiny little house) close to nature, and adopt a cat as my best friend and partner .

Rock on!

(I'm going to bed, have had a full bottle of Captain Morgan. But my alcohol tolerance have let me gone so far, I'm far from drunk yet. :/. So I'm gonna sleep 2 hours, then shower, and get up for the evening meal at 21/9 a clock at the "meetings room" where I live.)

-Erl

Comment

Originally posted by dzdandcunfsd View Post

... (.... )... Some pent up aggression to work out? I hear guitars are good for that
                                Yeah, especially when you hit that "blue note" and let it sustain, with tons of feedback and rhythm section going on in the background ...

or just those really, really heavy metal riffs

Comment

Working...
                                X