banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Erlend the Viking here! :D Please give me some attention, and questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dzdandcunfsd
    replied
    Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Each and everyone I met from up North spoke excellent English. Some even better than native speakers. I once tried to learned Swedish, didn't get far because I got derailed by my interest in a woman, but it waas still fun. On the basic level, I'd say it was easy, like 40-40% mix of German and English with some added flavor and as far as I know Norwegian is very similar. Not the same, but they understand each other by speaking their own language.

When I was a PhD student I had to give classes to students and we had many from up North. A group of Icelanders told me about the "laanguage hierarchy": Finland is the odd guy out, not one of them, it's just "Perkele vodka Suomi". According to them Icelandic is of course the OG Norse languange and they make fun of Swedish because its "soft", then the Swedish do the same with Norwegians because its even softer and all three of them make fun of Danish because it sounds like gibberish I had a great laugh, they were so cool about it and meant absolutely no wrong. It was nice to see that people from different nations can poke fun at each other and then laughing together on the joke. Definitely a different attitude...
    Yeah that'd be nice! hahah would be a culture shock to me.

Leave a comment:

• dzdandcunfsd
    replied
    Originally posted by Erlend_G View Post

Norwegian is quite similar to English;

And "everyone", meaning every children in school, is taught english from grade 1. There's also alot of english shows on TV; that along with subtitles, helped me learn English at a young age. Also I learned alot from the internet, hanging around here on this very forum, in the age of 12.-15 years old.

Many of the words are actually the same, or similar. The grammar is also similar;
    I guess it's maybe the easiest language for an American or English person to learn.

Swedish and danish is so similar to norwegian, that if you know one of the languages, you can understand both the others. (With the exception of one wierd word, or so).

Good luck .

Since Norway is so long and thin, there's very different dialects ranging from south to north. There is also two official languages, "Bokmål" (book speech), that's most common- and "Nynorsk", (new norwegian) that was started by some wierdo a hundred years ago. I'd not personally bother about the "nynorsk" .

-Erl
    There's pockets of the US where it may as well be a different language.....backwoods Arkansas/Missouri......always to me sounds like a banjo getting plucked hahah..........go far NE you get the chowdah of Boston......Backwoods Boston or Maine as its called locally hahah, while different, but not a lot .... being one of my favorite hilarious dialects, it always makes me smile
    Texas, etc.........really slowed down lazy drawls.......there are no real western US accents, other than that annoying stupid valley girl or stoned surfer........ as nobody there is really "native" just a hodgepog collection from everywhere else lol.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by nexion218 View Post

Each and everyone I met from up North spoke excellent English. Some even better than native speakers. I once tried to learned Swedish, didn't get far because I got derailed by my interest in a woman, but it waas still fun. On the basic level, I'd say it was easy, like 40-40% mix of German and English with some added flavor and as far as I know Norwegian is very similar. Not the same, but they understand each other by speaking their own language.

When I was a PhD student I had to give classes to students and we had many from up North. A group of Icelanders told me about the "laanguage hierarchy": Finland is the odd guy out, not one of them, it's just "Perkele vodka Suomi". According to them Icelandic is of course the OG Norse languange and they make fun of Swedish because its "soft", then the Swedish do the same with Norwegians because its even softer and all three of them make fun of Danish because it sounds like gibberish I had a great laugh, they were so cool about it and meant absolutely no wrong. It was nice to see that people from different nations can poke fun at each other and then laughing together on the joke. Definitely a different attitude...
    Yeah,

Swedish is all about "tutta pannan, fyka lôken, pilla krassan"

and the Danes sound like they got a potato stuck down their throats XD

\m/

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by solspirit View Post
    Have you heard of a car collector there with a huge underground garage?
    No :/

But then again, I'm a villager from the barren lands of the north .-
    not a cilivilzed city man from the south .

how come you ask?

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by dzdandcunfsd View Post
    Thanks! Yeah I hadn't even considered the fact of it spanning such a vast region and being so varied........I've spent some time in Alaska, I quite enjoyed the staying mostly dusk/dawn all day long in the winter-time, I can see it being a problem after some time, as it stays so cold in places you're pretty much stuck inside as well. I'll stay out of North Norway

I personally don't mind the smell of fish either, I'll have to give some fish jerky a try

Yeah I agree with you on the diagnosis thing! I mean it can't be something if it's not in a book and easily defined right? haha.....also my take on "music theory"

I've dated some strange people, one girl in particular was very into some dark arts magic stuff, I mostly blew it off, we did have fun until we didn't....... then I started to worry hahah, anyway, long sad story there, but she's no longer with us, had a brain hemorrhage is what I was told, I took it harder than I probably should have, we had been apart for roughly a year by that time, but that could of been a cause that affected some of her nuttier behaviors towards the end of our relationship. I especially didn't appreciate being hit by her car very much, was the final straw for me Still a bit of a sore spot for me, well not physically, and almost 10 years ago now.... Reminded of that because I do remember hearing/reading about a surge in suburban kids practicing a lot of juju in that area becoming a trend.

Actually quite scarier than the sky possibly opening up to eat you whenever it feels like it (In tornado country)

Not saying it is, but even if it was just "all in your head" does that make it any less scary? I'd think not!

Oh language-wise, I'm mostly fluent in English(being my native language) Passable conversationally in Spanish (well Mexico's version of it anyway)

Most people there speak English as a second language right? How hard is Norwegian? I assume, to learn?
    Norwegian is quite similar to English;

And "everyone", meaning every children in school, is taught english from grade 1. There's also alot of english shows on TV; that along with subtitles, helped me learn English at a young age. Also I learned alot from the internet, hanging around here on this very forum, in the age of 12.-15 years old.

Many of the words are actually the same, or similar. The grammar is also similar;
    I guess it's maybe the easiest language for an American or English person to learn.

Swedish and danish is so similar to norwegian, that if you know one of the languages, you can understand both the others. (With the exception of one wierd word, or so).

Good luck .

Since Norway is so long and thin, there's very different dialects ranging from south to north. There is also two official languages, "Bokmål" (book speech), that's most common- and "Nynorsk", (new norwegian) that was started by some wierdo a hundred years ago. I'd not personally bother about the "nynorsk" .

-Erl

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Demanic View Post
    What do you think of lutefisk? Or gaffelbiter?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk
    Lutefisk is "allright", personally I'd rather have the fish fresh and not treated with lye .

the thing about lutefisk, is to top it with loads of bacon, mustard, green pea stew, and other condiments. By itself, it doesn't taste very much.

"Gaffelbiter"; i guess you mean those canned anchovies... I like them on top of a boiled egg sandwich, where the ammonia (lol) gives it a nice kick. But not by itself.

When I was visiting my mother, (i just came home today), we had the national food of Norway; "Fårikål". Translated it means "SheepInCabbage". It's sheep meat and cabbage boiled together, and served with potatoes (and maybe carrots), very nice.

Leave a comment:

• nexion218
    replied
    Originally posted by dzdandcunfsd View Post

Most people there speak English as a second language right? How hard is Norwegian? I assume, to learn?

Leave a comment:

• solspirit
    replied
    Have you heard of a car collector there with a huge underground garage?

Leave a comment:

• dzdandcunfsd
    replied
    Thanks! Yeah I hadn't even considered the fact of it spanning such a vast region and being so varied........I've spent some time in Alaska, I quite enjoyed the staying mostly dusk/dawn all day long in the winter-time, I can see it being a problem after some time, as it stays so cold in places you're pretty much stuck inside as well. I'll stay out of North Norway

I personally don't mind the smell of fish either, I'll have to give some fish jerky a try

Yeah I agree with you on the diagnosis thing! I mean it can't be something if it's not in a book and easily defined right? haha.....also my take on "music theory"

I've dated some strange people, one girl in particular was very into some dark arts magic stuff, I mostly blew it off, we did have fun until we didn't....... then I started to worry hahah, anyway, long sad story there, but she's no longer with us, had a brain hemorrhage is what I was told, I took it harder than I probably should have, we had been apart for roughly a year by that time, but that could of been a cause that affected some of her nuttier behaviors towards the end of our relationship. I especially didn't appreciate being hit by her car very much, was the final straw for me Still a bit of a sore spot for me, well not physically, and almost 10 years ago now.... Reminded of that because I do remember hearing/reading about a surge in suburban kids practicing a lot of juju in that area becoming a trend.

Actually quite scarier than the sky possibly opening up to eat you whenever it feels like it (In tornado country)

Not saying it is, but even if it was just "all in your head" does that make it any less scary? I'd think not!

Oh language-wise, I'm mostly fluent in English(being my native language) Passable conversationally in Spanish (well Mexico's version of it anyway)

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied
    What do you think of lutefisk? Or gaffelbiter?

Sent from my SM-A115A using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    dzdandcunfsd:

Many people cannot stand the smell of dried fish. (It's usually dried cod, or something similar). I personally love the smell, aswell does most cats and dogs.

But I've heard of like... workplaces having to shut down, and open every window to ventilate, because someone brought dried fish for lunch. :o

About medical diagnoses: I find it's invented to make "things easier" for the doctors... Not to help the patients. I'm in the same "bin" as people who are completely delusional... but OK, no discussion needed! .

The average temperature, is very different from south norway to northern norway. Because this country is very "tall and narrow". I don't know the Fahrenheit conversions;

but where I live, north of the artic/polar circle- You'd have to wear alot of clothes from August to June. There is 2-3 months of "summer" where you can wear a shorts and t-shirt, on the warmest days.

In the very south of Norway, summer is over 6 months long :o. And they barely got any winter. The sun goes down every night, and there is no "dark time" or "midnight sun".

In the verymost north of Norway, it doesn't even grow trees :/. It's very very barren. It gets even colder, when you move inlands into finland / sweden.

We typically never got any natural disasters; we just hear of hurricanes in the USA. . There was a minor flood a couple of years ago, in middle norway. But I believe no-one was hurt.

...The scariest thing I've ever witnessed (and it being here in Norway)., Is the activities, and attacks, by satanic sect members. It seems to be a "big thing" and growing, in the city of Tromsø, Trondheim and so on. makes me very sad. As I've mentioned, they've bothered and violated me for years, but the doctors/police/state only calls it "my schizophrenia".

I guess, when people are "spoiled rich", doesn't have to work, and can do what ever they want to do. Some "weak souls" come together, and start worshiping the devil. And find victims, like me- to work their evil ways on. This is a "touchy" subject, :/. In the 1700's, there were actual "witch burnings" in the area where I live.

I suspect they did this, because they were aware of the dangers, of having people doing powerful evil magic ++ onto others. But unfortunately, alot of innocent people were also convicted. So it stopped.

thanks for the reply!

-Erlend

Leave a comment:

• dzdandcunfsd
    replied
    Salted and or dried fish.......does it work like jerky? can you just carry it in a pocket for a snack whenever? and does it still stink.......or I guess smell like fish?

medical diagnoses are just things to make other people feel better...........most seem to like everything nice and easily boxed in and explained, at least that's my opinion no discussion needed.

what's the average temperature in Norway? I live in mostly a desert climate, really hot in the summer but does get way below freezing in the winter with high winds to boot, but have always preferred the cold. Always intrigued by other places, and (usually) travel quite a bit. What types of natural disasters are typical there? pretty used to angry tornado filled skies and earthquakes/fires........anything super scary there?
    Last edited by dzdandcunfsd; 08-28-2020, 08:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Originally posted by Spirit of 76 View Post
    Actually this book I am mentioning is not at all a self help book.

It's a book where Dr. Peterson explains human behavior, human nature, etc. The idea is more to help us understand why we behave how we do, why we make the decisions we make (good or bad) , etc.

It really changes how you look at yourself, people around you, etc.
    Well.

I'm 30 years old, and has spent the majority of my time experiencing things, thinking about it;

I feel like I'm quite where I'd ideally "want to be", taken into concern, my current situation.

When I was 18-20 years old, I was frantic about working hard, to achieve life goals. Such as a good job/carreer, success with music and women.

...but nothing did really work out. I lost everything I had of material wealth, became a junkie; and experienced traumatic events-
    that led me to "give up" on most everything, except making the best out of my day, trying to have a good time. Not think about the negative things;

-but try to have something nice to look forwards to.

I was thinking about writing a book, for many years- called "Things you should, and should not do in your life", hehe .

And then give it to my younger self, with a time machine. Even just reading it, to remind myself of what to do, and don't.

As I said, things have mellowed out the past years, and I've come to acceptance with major issues, such as my Paranoid Schizophrenia, methadone/alcohol addiction; debt among other things. Often I am more depressed and tired of it all, than happy and motivated. :/

But I sit here, the days go by. Soon I'll leave for a 4 mile walk to the grocery store, and get some carrots and potatoes for my salted "Rose Fish" i bought yesterday.

an aquired taste, some say... the best part is the head, with the eyes and all. Couldn't get that unfortunately.

I hope my walk will put me in a better mood. I have reoccuring, horrible nightmares; about evil spirits/people who torture me. I experience 100% real, physical pain; and when I wake up, I feel drained, sick- like someone has poured a bucket of "evil" onto me. No one has been able to help me yet, the doctors call it "Schizophrenia"- but I personally am rather sure; it's caused by the actions of other people. We don't need to discuss this, unfortunately the problem is as bad no matter the proven cause .

See ya later alligator! \m/

-Erl

Leave a comment:

• Spirit of 76
    replied
    Actually this book I am mentioning is not at all a self help book.

It's a book where Dr. Peterson explains human behavior, human nature, etc. The idea is more to help us understand why we behave how we do, why we make the decisions we make (good or bad) , etc.

It really changes how you look at yourself, people around you, etc.

Leave a comment:

• Erlend_G
    replied
    Well, I've learnt one (very importamt) lesson painfully late in life:

"Be your own best friend".

:/ I've seemed to work against myself, shoot poison into my blood and being all crazy the last 10 years... I should have been "cooler", thought things trough maybe.

But done is done!

I've tried reading "self help" books but none has really worked. :/

thanks anyway! \m/

-Erl

Leave a comment:

Working...
X