Back with a new tube amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Back with a new tube amp

Great tone man, boy that has some crunch to it. Traynor to be the best affordable amp these days hands down.

Comment

Hi Sly....nice change of sound, it does sound good indeed.
      But it is not the same as a mic....it lacks that air movement thing..almost like PODs and such, but the sound is very good due to the real amp doing it, just get a compressor or a cleanbooster to push it more, it feels more real that way.
      Actually it is more convenient than setting up a mic, which sometimes is a nightmare.
      I use an AKG, I do not like the SM57 much when I am the one using the damm thing
      How about a GH12 celestion for it??
      Bet it would sound very nice

Comment

Yeah Rid, the GH12 would sound great but I heard it also makes the amp sound quite louder, and I find it loud enough for home use as it is. I'll see when my wallet is fuller . One sure thing is that I will definitely upgrade the amp over time.

A mic is on its way ! Nothing fancy, but I use a crappy SB Live anyway, so paying too much for a mic is useless for the time being. It's a Samson. I should receive it by the end of the week, so I'll try to do some testing over the weekend or early next week. I also bought a new pedal to boost the amp... I won't talk about it until I know if this was a good move or not

But the Direct Box is a keeper. I think I get very decent rhythm tracks with it.

pres_tito: yes, I really think that (as long as you avoid the smaller YCV20) Traynor amps are hands down the best tube amps out there for the price. Better clean than Peavey Classics, better overdrive than Fender. All around great tube amp, and upgradable to pro quality with better tubes and high-end speaker (if you don't care to annoy everyone around you ).

Talk to you soon guys! I'm always very busy these days.

Gibson Les Paul Traditional
        Norman B50 Acoustic Guitar

Comment

Why do you say to avoid the the smaller YCV20? I am curious. I thought that it could be a valid "bedroom" alternative.
          °
          my stuff

Comment

Well, honestly Marinblues, it is a decent amp but it has EL84 tubes. I don't know much about tubes, but I already know that an amp with 2 EL84 is not for me (too little gain, and farty). It may be a great choice for someone who plays only clean or low gain stuff, but I was looking for an amp that allowed me to play stuff like early Kiss (73-77), Led Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith and the likes (my personal music is higher gain also). The YCV40 is perfect for that. The YCV20 needs a pedal to get those sounds. I wanted to have a pedal only for really hi gain stuff, like EVH-type of lead, which can be achieved with a booster (simple overdrive pedal) in the lead channel. The last thing I wanted was to have to rely on a pedal for high gain stuff (like a "hunky" Metal Zone).

So the YCV40 is better for that and quite honestly, the clean sound of the YCV20 is poor in comparison.

Basically, I prefer to have an amp that is a little overpowered but great sounding, than an amp with lower power that doesn't satisfy me. I've had too many unsatisfying amp already

Comment

Heh a pedal
              I sometimes use my Hydra as extra gainstage into my Plexi, gives a special sound I really like.
              Plus the Hydra also sounds great pushing a cranked amp even further.
              And you can turn down the volume and the top is not gone, works like that through the Plexi as well.

Comment

I tried to hear it but I keep getting an error. To bad because I'd really like to hear that Traynor amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly_D
                  Well, honestly Marinblues, it is a decent amp but it has EL84 tubes. I don't know much about tubes, but I already know that an amp with 2 EL84 is not for me (too little gain, and farty). It may be a great choice for someone who plays only clean or low gain stuff, but I was looking for an amp that allowed me to play stuff like early Kiss (73-77), Led Zep, AC/DC, Aerosmith and the likes (my personal music is higher gain also). The YCV40 is perfect for that. The YCV20 needs a pedal to get those sounds. I wanted to have a pedal only for really hi gain stuff, like EVH-type of lead, which can be achieved with a booster (simple overdrive pedal) in the lead channel. The last thing I wanted was to have to rely on a pedal for high gain stuff (like a "hunky" Metal Zone).

So the YCV40 is better for that and quite honestly, the clean sound of the YCV20 is poor in comparison.

Basically, I prefer to have an amp that is a little overpowered but great sounding, than an amp with lower power that doesn't satisfy me. I've had too many unsatisfying amp already
                  thanks Sly.

M.
                  °
                  my stuff

Comment

My pleasure Marineblues... if you have any questions about the YCV40, just drop me a line. It's an amazing amp!

Comment

- What more can I say, what a beautiful sound

Comment

Thanks Jaganath!

I really dig this tone. My amp search is over

Comment