Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finger speed

Hi, haven't been here in a while.

Anyways, could u guys tell me what YOU did to improve your finger speed. please don't tell me what u think I should do. i just wanna know how you guys did it.

Peace and Love

Re: finger speed

just wanked my ass off as fast as i could...

Comment

Get the John Pettrucci DVD. I'm serious. I bought it about a month ago and have gone thru maybe 1/4 of it. I don't have as much time to practice as I'd like to but after spending about 2 week's going over and over some of the exercises he show's I did notice a definate improvement in my playing. It's a great DVD. I was a bit leary because I thought it was going to be some hot-shot playing these impossible solo's for you to try and play. Nothing like that at all. Some of the exercise's are nut's but very practical in helping you to develop better fretting and picking strenght. Glad I bought it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
        Get the John Pettrucci DVD. I'm serious. I bought it about a month ago and have gone thru maybe 1/4 of it. I don't have as much time to practice as I'd like to but after spending about 2 week's going over and over some of the exercises he show's I did notice a definate improvement in my playing. It's a great DVD. I was a bit leary because I thought it was going to be some hot-shot playing these impossible solo's for you to try and play. Nothing like that at all. Some of the exercise's are nut's but very practical in helping you to develop better fretting and picking strenght. Glad I bought it.
        I second that..
        Marshall JVM 410C
        Mesa Boogie DC-3
        ~2010 USA G&L Legacy Special/S-500 bastard-child, Tobaccoburst.
        1996 USA G&L Legacy, Honeyburst, SSS , Dimarzio Injector/Kinman AVn69/AVn69
        2007 USA Gibson LP Studio, Stock PUPs
        2005 USA EBMM Silhouette Special,Hardtail , Tobaccoburst,SSS Stock PUPs
        1999 USA Peavey Wolfgang,Flame Cherryburst Trem
        2005 MIM Fender Tele, Hotrails/Stock Neck
        1997 Yamaha Pacifica 812 EMGs

Comment

sounds good think i'll take that advice as well
          chimaeraSUN
          Ernie Ball MusicMan Y2D (Dimarzio Steve Morse Bridge/Neck)
          Washburn WI200PRO (SD Custom Custom/'59)
          Ovation 1778-T Blue Flames
          1989 Charvel Spectrum (Tone Zone S/Area 61/Air Norton)

Line 6 HD147
          Crybaby 535Q
          Digitech Whammy
          Boss HR-2/LS-2/AC-2

Comment

The thing that's great about Rock Discipline, is that it helps you realize that you need to focus your practice, and work on various aspects of your technique, not just speed. With any picking exercise, you need to develop accuracy first, and then speed.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

rock discipline and alot of time with a metronome, and even then im not as good as i'd like to be

Comment

I own Rock Discipline and it's pretty good, but I would definitely reccommend a book called Speed Mechanics by Troy Stetina. It comes with a play along cd as well. The guy is a complete virtuoso. I have been at the book for a while now and have just dented it. It is not for the complete beginner, but most people should handle it. It does take a lot of practive though. That's my reccommendation.

Comment

speed playing is not about the fretting hand but more of the picking hand which is insanely harder if not impossible to develop.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike M.
                    +1

(I have avatars and sigs turned off. Do you?)

Comment

I practiced with a metronome a lot! And played along to a lot of death metal, and Al Dimeola!
                      Jackson SL1 with an Emg 81 and Emg single coils
                      Charvel custom with a Seymour Duncan Live Wire Metal
                      B.C. Rich Warlock N.J. with crappy B.C. Rich stock pickups
                      Digitech Gsp21 Legend(about to upgrade to an Engl e570)
                      BBE 482 Sonic Maximizer
                      Alesis Meq230
                      Samson S1500 750watt a side power amp(about to upgrade to a Mesa Boogie 2:ninety)
                      X2 Marshall 4x12 1960 "B" cabs

My band: www.decrepitbirth.com

Comment

Played scales up and down, one string scales, one string arps, alternate picking en masse, but my picking hand is natural fast so I did not have to attend that one so much,
                        but I did practise alot with coordination between the two hands....so it became patterns, small lines forwards and backwards.
                        Or chromatic pickings ad libitum in front of the tv......above all relax while doing it.
                        I never play fast anymore...don't like the damm clutter of notes when I can say the same with alot less of them, but I keep it up, so I have build up a comfort zone that allows me to use some strange things sometimes.
                        And find some Freak Kitchen, plus dig up Mattias Eklundh's solorecord...that is way more fun than the combined shredders in the world

Try this place
                        Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 10-24-2004, 02:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fatigueofheart
                          speed playing is not about the fretting hand but more of the picking hand which is insanely harder if not impossible to develop.
                          Not necessarily, depends on the style. If you´re doing palm muted 32s at 260bpm, ot tremolo picking, I wholly agree. But if, stylistically, you´re more of a "legato player" (hammer-ons, pull offs, slides, trills......) like for example Dimebag, EVH, or Randy Rhoads, then the fretting hand is equally important
                          Zerberus Industries: Where perfection just isn't good enough.

Listen to my music at http://www.soundclick.com/infiniteending and www.subache.com

Comment

With any picking exercise, you need to develop accuracy first, and then speed.
                            Yep, my teacher drilled that into me, also to practise on your acoustic - it'll strengthen your fretting hand
                            My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                            How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Im gonna follow this advice to!

**THIS DVD is £36 ($65-70) . Eeek!**
                              Last edited by Dooogz; 10-24-2004, 02:44 PM.
                              Epiphone Les Paul Studio (59 neck and JB bridge)
                              Marshall Valvestate 8080 (80 watts)
                              Korg AX1500G multi-fx
                              RAT
                              Boss PH-1r
                              Ibanez cf-7
                              Ibanwz ts-7
                              Danelectro tremolo
                              Vintage RAT - needs a fix!

Not much else - it does the job

Dooogz is taking a break from SD - ill be back soon crew!

Comment

Working...
                              X