Acoustic Strings?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acoustic Strings?

ok, so I just got my first acoustic and I'm discovering that it's a whole different animal to the electric I'm used to playing and I just wondered what strings you'd recommend?

I can only make a whole step bend on the High E and B strings, the others are impossible to bend enough to hit the note which is really frustrating.

Re: Acoustic Strings?

I would just keep playing it until your hand got stronger, then when you go to play you electric you will be amazed at how much easier it is to play.

I use 12s on mine and I wouldn't go any smaller than 11s.
    MIM Fender Strat-stock
    Kramer Focus-cool rails/vintage rails/hot rails
    Dean V X- 85/81
    Crybaby From Hell
    Ibanez DE7
    ADA MP-1
    Furman EQ
    Peavey Bandit 112

Comment

You hit the nail on the head when you said "it's a whole different animal". Trying to bend further than a whole step on Acoustic!!! What for. If you are trying to play electric music on acoustic....... it won't work. Clapton released the Unplugged CD with an Acoustic version of Layla because the original version can't be played properly on acoustic guitar.
      First start off using light strings (12's) Tune them to pitch and practice playing music that does not require a large amount of bending. Your hand strength will gradually get better, and you will be able to step up to a medium gauge (13's). The heavier the strings the better the tone will be. THink of some great Acoustic guitar players that you are familiar with. Listen to what they play. They are not trying to burn up the fingerboard on these instruments. This is not to say tha you can't play fast, you just can't play acoustic the same way you play electric. They are very different animals!!
      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Your hands get stronger with time (I practice my electric solos in my acoustic and then turn to my electric... It feels like I could bend all the way across the board and play wayyyyy faster)

As far as quality strings go, I only use Elixir polyweb medium/light... They play smoother, last longer and sound great.... worth the extra bucks...

Comment

What they said!!!

My Guild came with some pretty heavy strings. I tried to get used to it, but wound up putting some lighter guage strings on it, but like BluDave said, the heavier the guage, the smoother & fuller the tone.

I went to 11s & right now I'm on 12s.....working my way to 13s.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
          Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
          FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
          http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

Thanks guys,

I wasn't trying to bend more than a whole note, just up to a whole note and couldn't bend the strings far enough to get there

I don't know what the stock strings are but I think I'll buy a set of 11's and 12's and see how it goes

Comment

I use Martin Marquis 12s, especially when I'm in the studio. There's nothing like them but the really good sound is only there for a couple of days after you open them up.
              - '71 Les Paul Custom 'Fretless Wonder' (now refretted with oversized frets)
              - '76 Martin HD-28 (pre-fire)
              - '85 Charvel (Jackson) Model VI
              - '00 Dean Jazz Standard
              - 'Godin LGX
              - Seymour Duncan Convertible Combo Amp

Comment

Your hands get stronger with time (I practice my electric solos in my acoustic and then turn to my electric... It feels like I could bend all the way across the board and play wayyyyy faster)
                I agree

I'd start off on 11's and stick them out for a few weeks. If it really does prove too much of a jump from what you use on your electric switch to 10s for a while.

I use 11's myself as I practise all my lead playing on my acoustic. 12's I find just that bit too thick for bends.

Make sure you don't hurt yourself by overplaying on thick strings when you're not used to them, try and make sure you always do warmup chromatics and stretching exercises before you do anything else.

I garuntee you if you stick at it, within a month or two you will have made more progress than what would take several on electric

Good luck man
                My clips

Originally posted by Rid
                How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Working...
                X