Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jolly's very "Strange" song....kinda "Beatlesque"

Ok Wattage, I'm raising the stakes bro.

Here's a song I wrote and recorded about 2 1/2 - 3 years ago. Some of yall have heard it, as Scott posted it for me on the old forum a couple of years ago. I know alot of you have never heard it, so I figured I would share it again.

It's a very weird and strange song, hence the name "Strange". It kind of has a circus atmosphere to it. The first time I played it for my mother she said "it reminds me of a russian bear riding a tricycle in a circus". I have absolutey know idea how this song even popped into my mind.

All the guitars are the Jazz Model in an Epiphone Les Paul. The weird oboe melody is from an old 80's Roland synthesizer I borrowed from a friend of mine. Actually the oboe sound is the vocal melody. I just liked the way it sounded so much this way that I never layed down any vocals and kept it as an instrumental. I tried my best to get a Sgt. Peppers era Paul McCartney bass vibe going on it.

Don't worry, I don't let this song get off so easy. It has a nice surprise ending to it. Well, I hope you enjoy it.

That is wonderful!!!

The ending reminds me of something Mike Kenneally might do. You've definiely raised the bar for me if nothing else. My brain doesn't come up with much stuff like that unfortunately, got to break out of the box a bit. I can almost picture a little guy playng a hurdy gurdy in the background swaying back and forth waiting for his minkey (Peter Sellers anyone) to come back.

You might like to check out a guy called Andy Prieboy, he was in Wall of Voodoo for a while, his solo stuff is pretty cool very wide ranging but he does a few things that make me think of Gilbert and Sullivan yet he still rocks. Also an unreal band called 16 Horsepower, they flip my head out completely. I am not sure how to describe them all that well but if John Fogerty was kind of dark and evil and had electricity in like 1849 then started drinking and playing music with Frenchmen and hillbillies it might be a start.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Thanks Wattage I'll have to check out some of those folks you mentioned...they sound interesting.

Comment

Hehe I kept seeing strange images of a puppetcircus with wires.
        Or the episode with Courage the cowardly dog and Fussili...hehe weird indeed.
        And I love the ending

Comment

Very cool song.......ESPECIALLY THE ENDING!!!!!

Awesome playing there.......and that's a Jazz? I better check that out methinks...
          There's nothing quite as satisfying as a dancing banana...

Comment

I dont remember ever hearing that before and it is pretty cool. The intro has a mid-carreer Alice Cooper feel and the outro rocks for sure.

Nice clip Jolly.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Originally posted by Rid
              Hehe I kept seeing strange images of a puppetcircus with wires.
              Or the episode with Courage the cowardly dog and Fussili...hehe weird indeed.
              And I love the ending
              as remarkable as this sounds, so was i!

anywho, i love this strange ****! i have allways loved weird and mysterious music for some reason. got any more?
              esp ltd deluxe ec-1000 (amber sunburst)
              fender mim standard strat
              peavey classic 30
              johnson j-station
              original ibanez ts-9 (not in use)
              dunlop crybaby (sometimes in use)
              yamaha f-310p acoustic
              taylor 410 acoustic
              "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Hehe it was a very vivid image.

Comment

i love the ending as well, turns it up.

by the way, what the f*ck are you doing at the 3:35 mark? a whiiile back u discribed how..... care to repeat?
                  peavey classic 30
                  johnson j-station
                  yamaha f-310p acoustic
                  taylor 410 acoustic
                  "This ain't no ballet-we want people to listen with their eyes closed,to just let the music come inside them and forget their wordly cares..." Duane Allman
                  "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Suess

Comment

Great clip, especially the ending. JOLLY = Rockstar

Comment

I've always loved that clip. While most of your songs are straight up rock, you do some very good pieces to envoke certain moods or feelings. I maintain that you should see about writing soundtracks to movies or something, when I first heard "strange", I thought of someone tripping badly, followed by an immense shoot out or car chase or something. Something like that would have fit well in a movie like "fear and loathing in las vegas".

Regardless, great song!

Comment

Everytime I listen to this tune , I have it in mind all day long !

The end of the song kick some a$$ !

Great tune , bro !
                        Pickups used :
                        Les Paul: A2'59/'PGn ; SP90-1/SP90-1
                        PRS Santana 1: Phat Cats
                        PRS CU22 : SLb/'59n ; A2'59b/PGn ; Phat Cats
                        PRS McCarty : A2P/A2P ; SL/SL
                        PRS Singlecut : Ant/Ant ; SLb/59n
                        PRS Modern Eagle : SLb/Antn
                        PRS Hollow : Ant/Ant
                        PRS Mc Soap : SP90-1/SP90-3 ;SP90-1/SP90-1/SP90-3
                        PRS Mc Deluxe : Antiquity II minis
                        Strat : APS1TwBg/APS1rwrp/APS1T; APS1TwBg/SSL1rwrp/SSL1;Antiquity II Set;Antiquity Texas Hot Set
                        Teles : 59b/PGn ; Ant set ; JDb/SSL1rwrp/SSL1
                        SG : SP90-1/SP90-1

Comment

well, i played it today for my art class (like i do with a lot of stuff i like here, hope its cool with you...)

first impression was "is this jewish music?""are we at a carnival marc?" and the simple "what the f*ck"

i made them basically listen to the whole thing though and the almost jumped at the ending, it literally surpirsed them......

love the tune man.
                          peavey classic 30
                          johnson j-station
                          yamaha f-310p acoustic
                          taylor 410 acoustic

Comment

Originally posted by xerxes
                            well, i played it today for my art class (like i do with a lot of stuff i like here, hope its cool with you...)

first impression was "is this jewish music?""are we at a carnival marc?" and the simple "what the f*ck"

i made them basically listen to the whole thing though and the almost jumped at the ending, it literally surpirsed them......

love the tune man.
                            LOL...that's pretty funny. Thanks again everyone, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

Kinda reminded me of a slowed down version of The Doors "Whiskey Bar" (I think that's the title), but of course with quite a spicier ending.
                              I saw colors, man, tracers.....

Nice Clip, bro!
                              Last edited by midnite_man; 03-17-2004, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X