banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tapping meltdown...with my spalt-top Raven West supertstrat..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tapping meltdown...with my spalt-top Raven West supertstrat..

Sounds a bit gaelic/bagpipe-ish in parts I think..

Too bad the looped/rhythm guitar track all but disappeared in the mix..

...but at least you can hear the solo..

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 01-15-2015, 06:24 AM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Re: Tapping meltdown...with my spalt-top Raven West supertstrat..

I'm a FANtasmagoria of this. Your thread titles are hilarious.

Comment

sweet playing - your splated guitar is awesome - love that look.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
        I'm a FANtasmagoria of this. Your thread titles are hilarious.
        Thanks!! I'm still working on things...trying to get used to coordinating/making it work with more scales & stuff (& hit a couple less bum notes with my right hand)

Haha....those titles just pop into my head & seem right lol...

Originally posted by macki View Post
        sweet playing - your splated guitar is awesome - love that look.
        Thanks man!!

And yeah ..I really love it. Hadn't played it for a year.. the input jack was loose & I just never got around to replacing it till a few days ago. Strings were rusty as hell too ..going to change those today and take it for another ride..

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Finally....finally I can hear da notes!

Once again, not trying to raz ya here, but a few points (since this is why we post things right?)

-Shorten it up! These super long rips are tiring and it just seems like you end up re-hashing real quick. I'd like to see you come in here and bash out a minute of gold rather than one minute of gold mixed in with 8 minutes of blah. I think this will allow you to really utilize the technique as well and get some more concise licks going.

Once again, sounds cool dude, keep em coming
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Thanks!!

I get your point....but I'm just jamming these long solo's 'cause it's fun for me more than anything..

..been trying to work on the technique (that tapping) which is pretty much my own thing as far as I know (ie.. not based on the usual over-practiced shapes/arpeggio's) so it's pretty intuitive/feel based, more like hybrid picking (except that I tap instead of pick) ..and ^^ those are pretty much my practice sessions for the day lol...it's just that I'm recording them now

Frankly, things would sound way better if the backing rhythm/chord progression/melody could be heard under the solo. Unfortunately my Zoom multi-FX/looper usually just gives me two choices (bury the backing guitar track or bury the solo ). I'm hoping things will sound way better when my new dedicated loop pedal arrives (can set levels for both with the turn of a knob)

The problem there is you can't really hear the backing melody...the licks don't get repeated that much at all..

Youtube

Comment

Awesomeness aside, I would like to hear some anchor notes at the end of those tapping runs to add definition. Like a 1 or 5 of the scale held out, or with a slower more assertive rhythm, to separate ideas every so often... I hope this makes sense.

Other than that, Sweetness!
              Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
              Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
              At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

Thanks dude & yeah, I know what you mean.

The main problem with this one was I couldn't hear the backing guitar track myself while playing the solo....which made things a bit disorienting/difficult at times haha. Also I wouldn't normally have that much tapping in a solo (almost all the way through lol).... just wanted to try and overdo things for this one, to see what it would sound like . But yeah, I'll keep that in mind.

Youtube

Comment

I signed on at Vimeo & uploaded it there...got to say the quality's much better (both image & audio)....definitely going to use it more often..maybe even go for the ($$) upgrade. I kind of like the lead tone in this vid (for once lol) & youtube takes the edge off that a bit....plus my spalt-top looks better here too..

Youtube

Comment

I love Ravens. I barely know anyone who uses them. They are some really nice guitars and their natural finishes are awesome for such little money.

My 57T at the very top left.

Cool solo. I'm getting an Early Slayer vibe and it shows the useable sounds you can from an RWG straight out the box.
                    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                      I love Ravens. I barely know anyone who uses them. They are some really nice guitars and their natural finishes are awesome for such little money.

My 57T at the very top left.
                      Nice man..lots of cool V's! I guess that's the tele model? I remember seeing those. Not into Tele's myself but they had the same cool tops. Really wish I'd bought more Raven West's lol..insane value for what they cost & you hardly see them around anymore (at least not the superstrats)

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                      Cool solo. I'm getting an Early Slayer vibe and it shows the useable sounds you can from an RWG straight out the box.
                      Thanks man!! ..early Slayer? ...without even screwing my trem arm in? ****..that's pretty sweet!

Yeah..certainly very usable & beyond haha. My Raven West is'nt really "straight out of the box" though...I've swapped the pickups out for a pair of Dean/DMT's.

Youtube

Comment

Yeah. It's awesome though, it's neck thru mahogany and bubinga, I have a super D in the bridge yet it still sounds like a tele. Even picking it up and messing around unplugged and it's undeniably a tele.
                        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Yeah, very well made & they sound awesome. I wish I got one of the ebony topped/bottomed ones (basswood in between) ...they looked amazing. Haven't really come across that combo anywhere else. My maple top's about a fifth of the body's thickness ..so I imagine it would affect tone, & I'm guessing two such ebony slabs (top/bottom) with basswood in the centre would probably sound pretty distinctive as well..

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                          X