Cabinet simulation software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cabinet simulation software

I've just started using my Univalve as a preamp direct to my interface and I'm looking to get some nice cab simulations.

I looked around and downloaded LeCab2 and some free IRs, among them Signal Audio God's Cab and some others.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best out of recording like this? Any other good free software you'd recommend to use? Any practical tips would be nice, as I have no experience with this and would welcome any advice you could give.
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Re: Cabinet simulation software

This is what I've managed so far:

Listen to Testi5 by user860819272 #np on #SoundCloud
    There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

I really like TwoNotes Torpedo Wall Of Sound for Impulse Resonses. The price of entry is really good, too (free).
      When using IRs with multiple guitar tracks, it's usually better to have a bus set up and send all of your DI tracks to it instead of inserting the plugin on each track. I would also recommend having a reverb bus with a room sound at 100% wet and send the guitar there as well, balanced using the aux send to taste. This will help glue the tracks together into a single sonic space. I usually end up sending almost all of my sub-buses to the room for the same reason.

Amother tip if you are just starting out: presets are your friend!! You are much better off using presets and perhaps tweaking to taste (if even needed) than trying from scratch.

Hope that helps.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        I really like TwoNotes Torpedo Wall Of Sound for Impulse Resonses. The price of entry is really good, too (free).
        When using IRs with multiple guitar tracks, it's usually better to have a bus set up and send all of your DI tracks to it instead of inserting the plugin on each track. I would also recommend having a reverb bus with a room sound at 100% wet and send the guitar there as well, balanced using the aux send to taste. This will help glue the tracks together into a single sonic space. I usually end up sending almost all of my sub-buses to the room for the same reason.

Amother tip if you are just starting out: presets are your friend!! You are much better off using presets and perhaps tweaking to taste (if even needed) than trying from scratch.

Hope that helps.
        Thanks!

I'll have a look at the Torpedo Wall of Sound. I'll try to test some of the most popular and promising ones out and see which ones I'll save as my go to ones for different styles.

I hadn't thought about buses - I didn't even know what it meant until I checked it up after reading your post. Grouping similar tracks together for having the same treatment sounds practical and I'll do it. I was thinking earlier on of getting a track with a room mic to fill the sound out and your way sounds good, I'll try it out.

Comment

One of the best 32-bit guitar amp sims I've heard is now ghostware. It's hosted as freeware on various websites, but the developer vanished.
          It's like the less-a**holey version of Amplitube.
          I use this on a lot of things, even keyboards.
          Built-in cab and amp IRs, with selectable rack and pedal FX. You can turn off the cab and amp sims, and use the effects, which are pretty sweet.

FreeAmp 3 by Fretted Synth Audio (Windows)
          sigpic
          "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
          --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
          Originally posted by Lewguitar
          In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Originally posted by Johtosotku View Post
            This is what I've managed so far:

https://soundcloud.com/user860819272/testi5
            Sounds pretty neat. Ownhammer has some cool looking ones plus a freebie to try: http://www.ownhammer.com/free/public-beta-redux/

With IRs you still need to (at least I think) use compression, eq, hi/low passing, gating, etc. like you normally would if recording with a mic. It not like a magic bullet.
            Last edited by DankStar; 01-20-2015, 07:05 PM.

Comment

I've tried some a year or so ago (Redwirez) but I can't recommend them; they make your tone sound lifeless and dull like from a modeler.

These, along with some other/similar gear are cool for the tweak factor, but that's about it. And I think the tweak factor is what gets people hooked on it.. so much so they ignore the subpar tone.

A turd is still a turd no matter how many times you polish it or put sprinkles on it.
              Last edited by LLL; 01-20-2015, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                One of the best 32-bit guitar amp sims I've heard is now ghostware. It's hosted as freeware on various websites, but the developer vanished.
                It's like the less-a**holey version of Amplitube.
                I use this on a lot of things, even keyboards.
                Built-in cab and amp IRs, with selectable rack and pedal FX. You can turn off the cab and amp sims, and use the effects, which are pretty sweet.

FreeAmp 3 by Fretted Synth Audio (Windows)
                Thanks, I'll check it out.

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                Sounds pretty neat. Ownhammer has some cool looking ones plus a freebie to try: http://www.ownhammer.com/free/public-beta-redux/

With IRs you still need to (at least I think) use compression, eq, hi/low passing, gating, etc. like you normally would if recording with a mic. It not like a magic bullet.
                Thanks for the compliment. I've been on a metal kick lately and haven't yet dabbled around other kind of tones. I have to say I'm pretty surprised how good tones I can get. It looks like software has come a long way since the last time I used some digital modeling.

I haven't yet used any post processing. I'll have to give them some trial and error after I hone the sound as far as I can first with just IRs and cab sims and fine tuning the preamp.

I'll check the Ownhammer out, I've heard some good things about them already.

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                I've tried some a year or so ago (Redwirez) but I can't recommend them; they make your tone sound lifeless and dull like from a modeler.

These, along with some other/similar gear are cool for the tweak factor, but that's about it. And I think the tweak factor is what gets people hooked on it.. so much so they ignore the subpar tone.

A turd is still a turd no matter how many times you polish it or put sprinkles on it.
                Ok. I still think I prefer recording with a mic but right now I either have a blown transformer on my amp or some problems with the cab or the cord as I get no sound from the speaker out of the amp. (And before someone gets all fussy about me damaging my amp, the Univalve has an internal dummy load and it's perfectly safe to use it without an external load.)

I also like recording this way as I can do it all around the clock as it's practically silent.

Comment

My Studio 2 has the same feature and I record guitar parts direct and add IRs all the time. Great way to quietly get great tones.

Comment

Originally posted by Johtosotku View Post
                    Does anyone have any tips on how to get the best out of recording like this?
                    The problems of direct recording:
                    1)single tracking
                    2)lack of poweramp coloration
                    3)lack of dynamic speaker distortion, and post-cabinet coloration (mic, room, console strip)

The solutions:
                    1)Double track everything religiously.
                    2)A dummy load lets me capture some of the output stage goodness. You can try a poweramp sim plugin if you choose so.
                    3)This is the small difference that makes a difference. I think it's impossible to nail down in home studio conditions, so I just leave it out of the scope for demo recording purposes. I'm sure you could use a plugin or two but myself I prefer to keep digital processing to a minimum.

Regarding the IR convolver block (LeCab or whatever) - I really recommend that you build a collection of hundreds of IRs, weed through them and pick a couple of favorites. Tweak them and save as presets.

If you can program a rhythm section, do it. A mix context will put your presets to the test. Expect many IRs to fail it. Some will be thin, buzzy, harsh, some will clash with the bass in the midrange, some will seem coming from under a fluffy blanket, some won't cut through, some won't sit (sound out of place, detached from the mix).

Comment

^ lots of good advice there.

Comment

Did a little more digging.

The remainder of the Fretted Synth software archive is hosted here. http://rekkerd.org/fretted-synth/
                        There's some nice stuff in there.

The guy's name is Joseph DeHelian. One of us -- bass player from BC (Before Computers), guitarist, got into software as a hobby.
                        He even posted his email address in the comments, so if something's puzzling you, he might be able to help out.

vinta9e nailed it.
                        sigpic
                        "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
                        --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
                        Originally posted by Lewguitar
                        In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by vinta9e View Post
                            The problems of direct recording:
                            1)single tracking
                            2)lack of poweramp coloration
                            3)lack of dynamic speaker distortion, and post-cabinet coloration (mic, room, console strip)

The solutions:
                            1)Double track everything religiously.
                            2)A dummy load lets me capture some of the output stage goodness. You can try a poweramp sim plugin if you choose so.
                            3)This is the small difference that makes a difference. I think it's impossible to nail down in home studio conditions, so I just leave it out of the scope for demo recording purposes. I'm sure you could use a plugin or two but myself I prefer to keep digital processing to a minimum.

Regarding the IR convolver block (LeCab or whatever) - I really recommend that you build a collection of hundreds of IRs, weed through them and pick a couple of favorites. Tweak them and save as presets.

If you can program a rhythm section, do it. A mix context will put your presets to the test. Expect many IRs to fail it. Some will be thin, buzzy, harsh, some will clash with the bass in the midrange, some will seem coming from under a fluffy blanket, some won't cut through, some won't sit (sound out of place, detached from the mix).
                            Thanks for the help.

I do at least double track most parts I make. The Univalve line out "delivers a line level signal from the power amp", so I take it as it gets most of the goods that the amp has to offer. The transformer, cab/speaker and mic magic are left missing, and they are what I try to compensate as much as I can with digital processing.

I've found a few hundred MB of IRs so far. Some of them even sound good to my ears. It'll take a lot of time to go through them, but I've already found some that I reckon can be usable in the future.

I use Addictive Drums as my drum program. I also have a bass guitar in the house. I always have both on a finished track.

Comment

Originally posted by ginormous View Post
                              Did a little more digging.

The remainder of the Fretted Synth software archive is hosted here. http://rekkerd.org/fretted-synth/
                              There's some nice stuff in there.

The guy's name is Joseph DeHelian. One of us -- bass player from BC (Before Computers), guitarist, got into software as a hobby.
                              He even posted his email address in the comments, so if something's puzzling you, he might be able to help out.

vinta9e nailed it.
                              Thanks. It looks like there's a pretty comprehensive selection of VSTi to try out. With all the free stuff I've found and been recommended to, I'll have no problems spending my free time.

Comment

Working...
                              X