Collaboration - prog/pop/heavy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Collaboration - prog/pop/heavy

Here is a song I finished mixing over the holidays 2014. I spent late summer and fall of 2014 recording guitar and bass tracks for it.
    The song is written by soundcloud artist KNmac. He asked me to add bass and guitar tracks to it. He's heard a few of my songs that I posted on the Cubase forum and asked me to add lead guitar on a song of his a year ago. This is the second song of his on which I'm adding parts.

When I heard his rough mix, I realized that this song held all sorts of possibilities in addition to just doing some lead guitar. I liked the song soon as I heard it. Since it's in C#, I could hear some downtuned riffing sounding good in it. Some textural parts, some ambient parts... there were a lot of possibilities.

The only bass I had at the time that had a low B string to go with the down tuned riffs was an Ibanez Gary Willis signature fretless. So the song has fretless bass.

For the down tuned riffs I used my Gibson Buckethead signature Les Paul Studio into a 6505+ head and XXX cab.
    The lead guitar is a Hamer Californian into a XXX combo, with a Zakk Wylde Crybaby wah. The solo in this song actually makes use of the Californian's extended fretboard, as I hit an F# at the 26th fret in one spot.
    The strummed guitar in the verses is a Carvin AE-185 recorded direct. I recorded the piezo and magnetic pickups and panned the acoustic tone to one side, and the electric tone through Amplitube 3 on the other side.
    The textural clean guitar in the choruses is a PRS McCarty Narrow Field, through a Digitech Hyper Phase pedal, and then direct in and run through Amplitube.

I tracked all the parts and sent them to KNmac to do his mix. When he did his mix of the sing, he did some picking and choosing from among all the parts I'd recorded. But he graciously offered to send me the vocal, drum and synth tracks so I could do my own mix. I changed the drum tracks a bit in some spots, and used all my guitar tracks in my mix.
    This my mix. KNmac's mix is on his soundcloud page.

"Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
    Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
    guitar pic site
    Original prog rock on soundcloud
    Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
    Original blues on soundcloud.com

Re: Collaboration - prog/pop/heavy

Looking forward to checking this out!!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Not my kind of music, but nice playing nonetheless!
      There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

Really dig this!

Comment

That was most enjoyable!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
          X