"Printing"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Printing"?

When producers talk of printing a track, do they mean that's the way that certain track will stay? Unable to change? Is this a Pro-Tools "word"? Like an action only called that in P-T? I use Reaper. Wasn't sure if it meant the same as "Render".

Re: "Printing"?

Originally posted by Swampy View Post
    When producers talk of printing a track, do they mean that's the way that certain track will stay? Unable to change? Is this a Pro-Tools "word"? Like an action only called that in P-T? I use Reaper. Wasn't sure if it meant the same as "Render".
    I believe that when someone talks about a "printed" track, it refers to when you mix a track (or tracks) onto a new stereo track in a DAW. It's not a strictly Pro Tools function.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

"Print" and "render" are interchangeable in this context, especially when referring to a track with effects.

Once it's been printed/rendered, it can't be undone.
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Some DAWs (Adobe Audition for ex) allow you to render the track and un-render with the push of a button (you can go back and forth).

Mainly for keeping the CPU cycles down (all that processing of plugins, etc on each track adds up).

Comment

LLL nailed it; rendering can certainly be used for mixing down a multitrack, but it is track-selectable. Printing or bouncing down makes a 2 channel mix down of anything passing through the master bus.
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

^ Yes. 'Printing' referred to when the 2 channel mix down was 'printed' to tape, to then be sent off to mastering.

A further note on LLL's point, alot of DAW's refer to that as 'freezing' a track as well.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Yeah, I think these days, most modern DAWs will let you 'undo'. You can 'freeze' tracks (temp render) them, to save CPU. But modern DAWs don't force you to make decisions, which is strange when you came from 4 track cassettes, where decisiveness was part of the creative process.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
              X