banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"Fall Deeper" (Acoustic Unplugged Song, like Alice in Chains)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Fall Deeper" (Acoustic Unplugged Song, like Alice in Chains)

Any Constructive Criticism is Great! finished this one just now:

Re: "Fall Deeper" (Acoustic Unplugged Song, like Alice in Chains)

a little about the guitar mics:

I used a Shure SM7B and a Shure SM58. both sounded pretty bad, and mixing them together sounded worse! so I just deleted the SM58 track. they have a lot of noise since I have to turn up the preamp volume. the tone is pretty bad too, the sm7b truly was designed for radio broadcasting and vocals!

I am really needing a cheap condenser mic now, Im never recording guitars again with the sm7b or sm58, I tried all types of equalizing and compressing and reverb and delay and other mixing tactics. Ive tried a bunch with the sm58 and no dice still.

the sm7b sounds a bit better but not by much, everything written about it for acoustic guitar is like a poor man's version of some primitive ancient bob dylan track lol

Comment

I dig it. It somewhat reminds me of STP's Sour Girl.

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
        I dig it. It somewhat reminds me of STP's Sour Girl.
        thanks brutha, I really appreciate it!!!

I dont listen to folk/acoustic, but I dig unplugged tunes by rock bands like that song Sour Girl!

Comment

sweetwater had these mics on sale for $75 that everyone likes for acoustic guitar so I bought it today, what a steal:

hope it helps me out with this dealeo, I bet it will

Comment

The 2020 is a cool mic, I think you will find it useful, especially on the acoustic guitar.

The song was cool; you may want to double the acoustic guitar, or use some processing to widen it out a bit. Otherwise, sounds good to me!
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Thanks brutha, really good advice!! cheers Im gonna have to try that mic out asap, maybe spruce up this song! prolly would be pretty quick, I would not change the video so that I could save time, just swap in the audio.

Thanks for the listen! Good stuff

Comment

Looking forward to comparing the guitar tracks before and after the mic swap. Do you ever use the SM7b for electric guitar or bass?

Comment

cool man, Ill leave the tracks up for a week then once completed, let me know what you think when I put em up

a cool dude from the heavy rock forum is a sound engineer and wants to take a crack at mixing this song, so it might be a wait depending on his schedule, but it should be worth it

Comment

amazing mix by my friend, you can compare microphones too:

new mix

Comment

The guitar does sound a lot better on the second track. I also noticed that the bass is a lot more clear in the mix - possibly just from the change of guitar tracks - and the drums are a lot deeper which I like. I'd be kind of curious now (I'm not suggesting whether this'd be better or not; just thinking of a little experiment) have you tried blending the DI with the mic'd track? I'd say you've pretty much decided the SM7b isn't the best at being the main device for recording acoustic guitars for the result you're trying to get, but I'm kind of wondering how it'd work out in more of a supportive role/ Something along the lines of supplementing the DI track by adding in some of the burps/buzzes/scrapes etc. that give an acoustic it's charm but are kind of left out when DI'd. It may or may not work out, but it's maybe worth trying at least to find out.

If you're ever wondering about a condenser microphone, look into Roswell Audio Mini K47, because I've heard nothing but great things about it - if the things I've heard are true then it's supposed to be one of the best microphones you can get for the money. I checked out a few demos and believed it enough to buy one for myself, and I am using it a little bit on the next track I'm working on (it's taking me forever to finish - there's a bunch of excuses on my part) so I'm only testing "testing the water" with it. Although admittedly I'm not that good enough at recording to demo/represent it in any way, and I won't be putting it through its paces on guitars until the next project.

Comment

cool man, new mics are fun! I usually get the entry level stuff and use it a ton, unless I know its proven like the sm7b for vocals. then I step up. Im really excited about my new mic, Ill definitely be using it for my acoustic album! Thanks for the listen, ya Peter put more of every instrument into it, ya know? He is super talented for sure. I like experimenting with layers I might try some stuff next time. Rock on!

Comment

Working...
                        X