Home Recording Free/Cheap DAW Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home Recording Free/Cheap DAW Recommendations

I'd like to get a decent DAW to use on my Windows 10 loaded laptop. I used to use my MacBook for recording (admittedly not often) and had Garageband and a version of Presonus Studio One on it. Since that died I have dabbled with Garageband on my iPad, which is ok for sketching ideas, but very limited in functionality

I'm looking for something with easy 'beginner' access that I can use to gradually build my understanding and skills in recording.

As I'd be recording at home I would more than likely have to get my guitar/bass tones using Amplitube on the iPad. I have the iRig 2 interface for that, but I'd still have to get those sounds into my laptop. I'm pretty certain I still have an old Behringer UCG102 that would help, but not sure how best to set things up. Would I be better recording tones on Garageband and importing, or using the output of the iRig through the UCG102.

I'm working on an extremely tight budget, so free/cheap is good for any solution. I'm not looking to produce awesome quality finished tracks, but mostly something decent for my own enjoyment. That being said, I'd like to be able to share stuff, and not be embarrassed by what I produce.

Any help/advice gratefully received!

Cheers!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Re: Home Recording Free/Cheap DAW Recommendations

The good news that many DAWs now have a free of charge (or very affordable) 'lite' or 'studio' version you can download.

If you are looking for simple and free, just get Reaper. It can be as complex as you like in terms of feature set, or you can run it super simple.

Alternatively, if you are going to be using a microphone at some point, you can get an interface with a bundled DAW of your choice.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

^ Bang on. I would certainly get Reaper...it's really a no-brainer for this type of situation.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

+1 to Reaper. From simple raw 4-track demos through some simple yet mean video editing to mixing / mastering commercial album sessions with 100+ audio tracks, it can do it all with stunning stability and flexibility.
        Wackor
        Ørdøg
        NecroPolo
        Diabolus in Musica
        SIDrip Alliance
        Book of Shadows
        RKH

Comment

Another vote for Reaper. I ran it free until I knew it would do what I wanted then ponied up the $60 or so it costs.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Reaper fanboy. There's nothing the big names do that's beyond Reaper's reach.

$60 US for a home use license; free updates for 3 versions (including sub-version and bug fixes).
            sigpic
            "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
            --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
            Originally posted by Lewguitar
            In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Thanks fellas. Reaper it is!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Working...
              X