banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

good microphone to use for recording from guitar amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• good microphone to use for recording from guitar amp?

Been using iPhone to record and quality kinda stinks. Want to be able to get some good quality recordings to AB guitars, pickups, amps, speakers...

Re: good microphone to use for recording from guitar amp?

more guitars have been recorded with a sm57 than any other mic. that said, there are lots of good options out there. if you have something decent already then try that, if not a sm57 is a work horse that will do many things well.

Comment

Are you still using the phone as your recording medium? Or are you looking to get out of using the phone altogether? If so, there are lots of pre packaged recording packages you can get if you are starting from scratch.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
        Are you still using the phone as your recording medium? Or are you looking to get out of using the phone altogether? If so, there are lots of pre packaged recording packages you can get if you are starting from scratch.
        Starting from scratch and don't want to use the phone for recording anymore.

Comment

Great. In that case looks for an interface recording bundle. They usually have a mic, interface, and headphones.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
            Great. In that case looks for an interface recording bundle. They usually have a mic, interface, and headphones.
            Well I do have this Lexicon Alpha interface thing that got to use Guitar rig. Think just meed microphone. Would you recommend the SM57 or something else?

Comment

Used Scarlett 2i2 = $ 80. ($150 new)
              Used sm57 = $ 75. ($100 new)
              Reaper Daw = $ .00.

BAM!

Comment

Originally posted by RogerMexiko View Post
                Well I do have this Lexicon Alpha interface thing that got to use Guitar rig. Think just meed microphone. Would you recommend the SM57 or something else?
                The SM57 is a great starting point for recording electric guitar because it's already etched on our collective subconscious.

Comment

Can you believe that guitar players spend thousands of bucks on guitars, amps and effects and end up with a 50-dollar mic?

The SM57 is the only left on the mic cabinet cause all the 2000-dollar Neumann, AKG and RCA have gone to vocals!

Comment

I'm in the minority here, but I actually like the beta57 also, mainly for miking closer to the outer rim.
                    It's just too sharp and bright for the typical cone-cap area IMO, unless of course the amp's highs were rolled down lower than what sounds good in the room.

I guess I'd say it's better as a secondary blending mic.

Comment

When I was recording I routinely used:

Shure SM57 - $100
                      Sennheiser e609 - $130
                      Sennheiser MD421 - $350
                      Neumann U87 - $2000
                      • SM57 is all midrange. It's got nothing in the deep bass or high treble. great for lead guitar. evens out Fenders
                      • e609 is scooped and gets more scooped the closer to the cab. great for rhythm guitar. evens out Gibsons
                      • MD421 is an SM57 with all the bass and treble you were missing before. also has 5-step high-pass filter to tame the bass.
                      • U87 is almost back to SM57 midrange honk, except it sweetens up the best when mixed with the right mixer (e.g. Neve, SSL or other high-end type EQ; which can be done 'in the box'/DAW; e.g. you don't have to spend [even more] money)

Another fun trick is mixing two mics together. Try putting an SM57 and an e609 (two mics with opposite EQ curves) right next to each other (so both mic capsules are getting the exact same sound at the exact same time) then mix them together using a mixer or faders in your DAW until it sounds natural, like when you were in the room.

You can also adjust the EQ of the mic by how you aim it in the room.
                      • Want a Slash lead tone? Aim an SM57 straight into the center seam of the speaker cone from < 6" away.
                      • Want a more scooped rhythm tone? Aim it at the outer seam of the speaker cone from a few inches away.
                      • Want a mellow Jazz tone? Back the mic more than a foot or two away and aim it at the side wall of the speaker cone.

The best advice I ever heard was John Paul Jones of Led Zeppelin. He said, "Walk around the room until it sounds good and put the mic where your ear was."

You get the idea. Good luck.

Comment

Shure SM57 used to record guitar from amp.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                        X