hand cramps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hand cramps

so i was wondering if there was any kind of change i could make in say pick type/string gauge/picking style to fix an issue i have with certain songs. the songs in question are mostly downpicked/palm muted and downpicked and about half way through a muscle in my hand seizes up and hurts like a pain in well.... the hand! is this a suck it up an rub some dirt in it situation or is there a way to remedy this? also for reference muscle in question is in red

Click image for larger version

Name:	handy.png
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	5843112
    [shameless advertisement] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh1..._as=subscriber

Originally posted by BloodRose
    And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Re: hand cramps

Originally posted by dazedandconfused001 View Post
    so i was wondering if there was any kind of change i could make in say pick type/string gauge/picking style to fix an issue i have with certain songs. the songs in question are mostly downpicked/palm muted and downpicked and about half way through a muscle in my hand seizes up and hurts like a pain in well.... the hand! is this a suck it up an rub some dirt in it situation or is there a way to remedy this? also for reference muscle in question is in red

[ATTACH=CONFIG]78196[/ATTACH]
    Make sure you hold your pick as loose as you can without dropping it, you don't have to hold it very tight.
    My youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/skateking60

Comment

Yup, also impossible to give you any real advise without seeing you play.

But yes, relax, and do some stretching beforehand.
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

would changing my string gauge or pick gauge help at all? like i use dunlop 10s, and dunlop maxgrip .88s so idk... and how exactly would i streatch my hand properly befor playing?

And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Comment

google

In this article, I go over some hand stretches for guitar players — I do these before each rehearsal, gig, or recording session.

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post
            sweet thanks

Comment

Originally posted by dazedandconfused001 View Post
              would changing my string gauge or pick gauge help at all? like i use dunlop 10s, and dunlop maxgrip .88s so idk... and how exactly would i streatch my hand properly befor playing?
              You might want to try a heavier pick - try 1.3-1.7mm, the increased resistance from the pick makes it easier to speed pick and you don't have to grip as hard to be strong in the string.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

GNC has something for that

Comment

Originally posted by Driverfrown View Post
                  GNC has something for that
                  who is gnc?

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
                  You might want to try a heavier pick - try 1.3-1.7mm, the increased resistance from the pick makes it easier to speed pick and you don't have to grip as hard to be strong in the string.
                  i used to use 1.2 but i couldnt play as fast but idk i could go back... thus far the streaches have helped alil.

Comment

GNC is a vitamin and supplement store...some people forget we all don't live in the same country or part of the country hah

Comment

GNC = General Nutrition Center. A health food/vitamin supplement chain. Any similar natural health-type store should carry a similar type of remedy, be it a topical solution or a pill or a powdered mix for muscle/joint health. Typically plant-based stuff and fish oils and proteins. You're not likely to get steroids or such so no need to worry about growing one massive hand.

Without a picture or video of your picking hand in action, it's difficult to say whether your picking technique is the problem and suggest an adjustment. What works for George Lynch doesn't work for James Hetfield, etc.
                      Originally posted by Brown Note
                      I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                      My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                        GNC = General Nutrition Center. A health food/vitamin supplement chain. Any similar natural health-type store should carry a similar type of remedy, be it a topical solution or a pill or a powdered mix for muscle/joint health. Typically plant-based stuff and fish oils and proteins. You're not likely to get steroids or such so no need to worry about growing one massive hand.

Without a picture or video of your picking hand in action, it's difficult to say whether your picking technique is the problem and suggest an adjustment. What works for George Lynch doesn't work for James Hetfield, etc.
                        oh. see i saw g in an acronym and assumed guitar.... also what kinda thing would i get? mostly my aproach has been straech befor hand, be in pain 3/4 through the song, ignore said pain til songs over, then massage said area. i understand its hard to pass advice to someone without reference but i have like no camera.....so yeah.... thus far has been super helpful though

Comment

Guitarist Nutritional Centers. Awesome idea. Soon as I hit the lottery....

As for treatment, first go see a medical professional so they can tell you exactly what it is. See several who specialize in different fields: muscles, joints, and even bones, as they will all probably have a different opinion based on the information you provide them, the depth of their knowledge in their given field of study/specialization, and how much money they get from whatever pharmaceutical company products they will write you a prescription for.

Always get a second opinion before committing to a treatment, because even the person who graduated medical school with the lowest passing grade is called "Doctor".

Seriously. It could be a pinched nerve, it could be muscle damage, it could be a weak joint, or it could be a foreign body like a splinter or fine sliver of glass, metal, or anything stuck under your thumb that is pushed into a nerve when you apply constant pressure from holding a pick.

It could be poor circulation in your hand due to a pinched nerve in your shoulder. Or it could be that you simply need to tweak the way you hold the pick, or that the pick is too thick, which requires more pressure to hold, or too thin which requires more pressure to keep rigid enough to achieve the speed and note character you're going for.

Maybe you just need a big variety box of picks to sort through until you find "the one".

Maybe you're pinching a nerve or otherwise cutting off the circulation right at the joint in the middle of your thumb by squeezing too hard?
                          Maybe your thumbnail is cutting off the circulation because of how far toward the tip of your thumb you hold the pick?

Maybe it's just a muscle cramp from exertion. Do you get them in your calves at times? Have you tried any "home remedies" like eating a banana or drinking pickle juice when it happens? I get cramps in my feet and it feels like my toes are trying to tear themselves free. I eat a few regular dill pickle slices (like what you'd find on a burger) and they go away.
                          Last edited by DrNewcenstein; 02-01-2017, 10:00 PM.
                          Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

Guitarist Nutritional Centers. Awesome idea. Soon as I hit the lottery....
                            seems like a great idea

As for treatment, first go see a medical professional so they can tell you exactly what it is. See several who specialize in different fields: muscles, joints, and even bones, as they will all probably have a different opinion based on the information you provide them, the depth of their knowledge in their given field of study/specialization, and how much money they get from whatever pharmaceutical company products they will write you a prescription for.

Always get a second opinion before committing to a treatment, because even the person who graduated medical school with the lowest passing grade is called "Doctor".
                            cant afford all that crap O.o

Seriously. It could be a pinched nerve, it could be muscle damage, it could be a weak joint, or it could be a foreign body like a splinter or fine sliver of glass, metal, or anything stuck under your thumb that is pushed into a nerve when you apply constant pressure from holding a pick.

It could be poor circulation in your hand due to a pinched nerve in your shoulder. Or it could be that you simply need to tweak the way you hold the pick, or that the pick is too thick, which requires more pressure to hold, or too thin which requires more pressure to keep rigid enough to achieve the speed and note character you're going for.
                            im sure im just needing a bit more hand strength

Maybe you just need a big variety box of picks to sort through until you find "the one".
                            idk maybe ive been using the .88 for a long time i can always switch back though

Maybe you're pinching a nerve or otherwise cutting off the circulation right at the joint in the middle of your thumb by squeezing too hard?
                            Maybe your thumbnail is cutting off the circulation because of how far toward the tip of your thumb you hold the pick?

Maybe it's just a muscle cramp from exertion. Do you get them in your calves at times? Have you tried any "home remedies" like eating a banana or drinking pickle juice when it happens? I get cramps in my feet and it feels like my toes are trying to tear themselves free. I eat a few regular dill pickle slices (like what you'd find on a burger) and they go away.
                            probly just a cramp from exertion cuz i get similar aches and pains in other places at times.

Comment

Logging more hours on guitar has always helped me with this.
                              As a life-long resistance trainer (a "sensible" egoless one btw) hand cramping has always been a problem for me when I'm not getting in several guitar sessions/wk.
                              If I just get-in an hour or two several days/wk all my cramping issues are resolved enough to not be a bother.

George Lynch has openly stated that lifting/training started to massively(pi) diminish his ability to play relaxed and fluidly, therefore he ended giving up the weights.

Comment

Working...
                              X