Fingerpicking difficulty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fingerpicking difficulty

Hi. I am one of those strange people who use different hands for different things. I write and eat with my left hand (as well as most daily tasks such as brushing my teeth and shaving). I play basketball right handed (although feel more comfortable blocking shots with my left hand), and throw things mainly with my right hand. I also play the guitar right handed. Does anybody else have the same issue I have with fingerpicking? Is it because I'm left handed for fine motor? I feel awesome playing with my dominant hand on the fretboard, but I have little to no fingerpicking ability. I also have a habit of down plucking strings when doing any string skipping, which I understand is not a good habit. To make things even more complicated, I broke my right wrist a few years ago, it didn't heal properly, and ended up having surgery a year later to remove my ulnar styloid and repair a torn TFCC, which also could be something that makes fingerpicking feel awkward to me, but I'm guessing that the awkwardness is more based on my being left handed for fine motor. Does anybody have any fingerpicking tips for somebody who is naturally left handed for fine motor?

Re: Fingerpicking difficulty

As with anything, practice makes perfect. As well, you may encounter physical limitations due to the medical issues with your right hand. Barring those, it's common to have psychological blocks, where you say "...but I'm Left-Handed" and that indirectly influences your Right-Handed performance on certain things, particularly the fine-motor aspects, because you have already convinced yourself of it.

You are ambidextrous. You can do anything with either hand equally well. Now go and prove that to yourself by practicing your fingerpicking.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
      As with anything, practice makes perfect. As well, you may encounter physical limitations due to the medical issues with your right hand. Barring those, it's common to have psychological blocks, where you say "...but I'm Left-Handed" and that indirectly influences your Right-Handed performance on certain things, particularly the fine-motor aspects, because you have already convinced yourself of it.

You are ambidextrous. You can do anything with either hand equally well. Now go and prove that to yourself by practicing your fingerpicking.
      I'd like to think that I am ambidextrous and can do anything with either hand equally well, but I've never been able to write with my right hand at all. I've never been able to use a fork with my right hand (although I am conveniently right handed for using a knife, although it's hard to know if it is just because I adapted). I wish I were right handed for writing and eating. I'd stop smearing and I'd stop bumping elbows with people. While I often hesitate as to which hand to use when learning a new skill, there are certain things that I will always be left handed for. I do agree with you that I should practice fingerpicking though. I don't tend to enjoy it because I'm so much better at flatpicking, which is very relaxing to me, but I will be much more versatile if I can fingerpick.

Comment

You need muscle independence exercises for you hand. I learned some when I was studying classical guitar. You might search the internet for some hand / dexterity exercise videos.

Comment

My wife is one of those people. Comes in ''hand''y at times.

Comment

A couple of thoughts, which just come from random stuff I've read (some of which about phantom hand syndrome - fascinating stuff).

1) Tune your guitar to an open tuning - G or DADGAD for example - then take your left hand off the fingerboard while you practice fingerpicking - devote your complete attention to your right hand.

2) slow down your fingerpicking practice, so that you're literally at snails-pace, then speak the fingers (thumb,1,2,3,4) when you want them to pick.

3) start simple - thumb 1 thumb 1 repeated 30 times, then thumb 2 30 thumb 3, etc. Then do this same thing with different string intervals - E and A, E and D, E and G, etc. after a week, you'll begin to feel the fingerpicking become more natural.

4) for string skipping, search up video lessons by Paul Gilbert, he has a great "sectional" approach to teaching this, breaking it down similarly to what I've done here, so that you can build up muscle memory without the disappointment of trying too much too soon. His Artist Works lessons are worth the investment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Here's odd - I use all 4 fingers and my thumb when playing bass, but can only use 2 plus my thumb when playing guitar. It's been 40 years, and I still can't figure it out.
              aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

This Paul Gilbert vid showed up on my YouTube feed today. A great example and could prove useful.

Comment

Great vid from Paul. NOTHING about fingerpicking. Thanks for playing.

Comment

I am left handed, mostly, but do plenty of things with my right hand (throw, drum, eat, play guitar). I have thought about this, too. I came to the conclusion that fingerpicking is a learned skill, much like boogie woogie piano is to your left hand. Neither hand knows what to do when they start, but humans are really adaptable. If you couldn't eat with your dominant hand, you'd get really good at eating with your other one. I think it is more about training. It comes easy to some people- I use hybrid picking (pick & fingers) because I hate dropping my pick for the acoustic intro of a song, or learning a classical piece. We can get good at anything, it seems.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

One of my brothers learned banjo first - so he's a natural at fingerpicking. If you wanna see something funny, hand him a pick and watch him play "La Grange".... with all upstrokes on the offbeat. Can't play rock'n'roll to save his life, but if you need some Jim Croce or George Harrison stylings - he's your man.

Comment

Originally posted by ICTGoober View Post
                        Great vid from Paul. NOTHING about fingerpicking. Thanks for playing.
                        Note: original post mentioned string skipping issues as well as fingerpicking, posting the vid was an extension of my first reply aiming to help out OP. Thanks for playing.

Comment

I am a lefty but play guitar righty. I agree that fingerpicking is tough.

As Beau suggested, classical exercises down slowly will help build mucle memory. I laos agree with Vinces suggestion to take the leftvhand off and focus on the right.

One other trick my classical teacher made me do was to use a rubber band to tie my pinky and ringfingers together. I had a bad habit of sticking my pinky out, causing a lot of unnecessary stress in my hand. It also helped strengthen the ring finger. Now they move together no matter what I am doing LOL. Feels wierd but definitely worth a try!
                          “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Working...
                          X