Real Marshall vs. a Modelled Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Marshall vs. a Modelled Marshall

Got a new modelling amp (and pickups!), and decided to post up a clip.

Probably not difficult for most to tell which is which, but...take a guess.

clip is By-Tor & the Snow dog, so there is some heavy delay and phasing- boost is the Dunlop Echoplex set to "kill". Room recording with ZOOM Q3. Same distance/position from speaker on each clip. Only difference is amp. All pedals straight into front of amp.

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Real Marshall vs. a Modelled Marshall

Normally the first thing I look for in comparisons like these are dynamics and whether or not they come through.

Admittedly I only listened to the beginning with the chugga rhythm and it's hard to pin down dynamics with that passage.

However, the midrange between the two tone is very different; 1st one is warm and the second is scooped.

Based on the warmth:

Clip 1 = real Marshall
    Clip 2 = modeler

Comment

Just looking at the waveform, 1 Real, 2 Modeller.
      sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
      - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

In for the reveal.
        Nope...

Comment

Guess I'll give it until tomorrow for the reveal.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

My guess is #1 is the 'real' Marshall. #2 sounds very (artificially) compressed.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I'm going with the herd on this one.

What model is the 'real' marshall
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

DSL40c green crunch into a 2x12 evh cab with g12m 20/25w speakers.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                  DSL40c green crunch into a 2x12 evh cab with g12m 20/25w speakers.
                  You swapped out the speakers in the EVH cab? Cuz those come stock with G12H Anniversary 30 watters.
                  Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                    You swapped out the speakers in the EVH cab? Cuz those come stock with G12H Anniversary 30 watters.
                    Ive had a dozen different combos/speakers in that cab.

Comment

Alrighty- the "big reveal"

If y'all WERE a Herd, you'd be digesting in some Lion's Belly.

Clip #1 is a VoxVT20X
                      Clip#2 is the DSL

It was not my intention to try and "fool" anyone, I really just made a couple clips to compare, and wanted to see what others thought.

I think the real difference here is how the recorder handled the signal. The Vox, though running nearly full blast, still doesn't hold a candle in volume to the Marshall, so maybe the recorder squashing more volume is the culprit. In the room, the VOX sounds pretty much like @$$. Nasal, brittle and cardboard midrange, but it recorded pretty well! I'm really surprised no-one picked up on the squishy digital attack as I hit the strings on clip 1. On the DSL the attack is clean and immediate. I did do all my listening through studio cans once I uploaded to soundcloud, so maybe what people are listening to the clips with is an issue too.

So yeah..studio magic vs. in the room vs. in the mix. All a big factor.

Comment

Actually, I pretty much expected to be wrong for that very reason ... a modeler is meant to be used for this purpose and already should have everything you need to have a recording-ready tone. The raw amp would need work. If you high passed and compressed the Marshall it would sound virtually identical to the Vox in all likelihood. As it stands now, the Marshall sounds really bloated and unusable.
                        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I thought #2 sounded too pristine to be a tube amp. Aside from lacking warmth, #2 seemed too "polished" to be true.

Comment

Does this sound any better? (Its just a pickup demo noodle I recorded for a friend the same day).

Last edited by JeffB; 02-21-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Well, the copious reverb on track #2 kinda gave it away...
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                              ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Working...
                              X