Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Real Marshall vs. a Modelled Marshall

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
    no doubt that in he room, the difference is night and day between the two and the the differences are exaggerated due to the zoom recorder.

that said, the dsl crunch channel is voiced very differently from a plexi type amp. its more like a 2203 with increased low mids and low end, and less high midrange its very thumpy or boomy. It hass been difficult for me to get it to sound the way I want it to, and seems geared more towards modern crunch sounds, despite the name. It gets very thick and bloated with high levels of preamp gain, and brittle if you roll the preamp back without really pushing the master up to noon or higher.

I'm sure the oversized/deep EVH cab isn't helping.
    What tubes are in it?
    Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
      What tubes are in it?
      In the Marshall?

More like what tubes -haven't- been in it...I've had the preamp filled with os mullards and jan 5751 through everything new sensor makes.

Currently Mullard RI EL34s, v1- tungsol ri, v2 svetlana, jj83s in the CF and sovtek lps in the PI. Have some JJ KT77s too. I like them..they are different, but I don't love them...they take the amp to more 6L6-ish modern area I can't quite commit to.

But the general EQ of green crunch, no matter tubes, is not really in that nmv, early mv realm. It is it's own beast. Red 2 has more of that plexi style high midrange eq..albeit with way too much gain.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I kinda like em both, but the deep growl of #2 is more desirable to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
          I kinda like em both, but the deep growl of #2 is more desirable to me.
          "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

no doubt that in he room, the difference is night and day between the two and the the differences are exaggerated due to the zoom recorder.

that said, the dsl crunch channel is voiced very differently from a plexi type amp. its more like a 2203 with increased low mids and low end, and less high midrange its very thumpy or boomy. It hass been difficult for me to get it to sound the way I want it to, and seems geared more towards modern crunch sounds, despite the name. It gets very thick and bloated with high levels of preamp gain, and brittle if you roll the preamp back without really pushing the master up to noon or higher.

I'm sure the oversized/deep EVH cab isn't helping.
            STOP THE PRESSES!

I did the C19 resistor mod about an hour ago, and I think that is the solution I have been looking for.

IDK WTF Marshall is thinking putting that resistor there into the path of the Red Channel.
            I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

In the Marshall?

More like what tubes -haven't- been in it...I've had the preamp filled with os mullards and jan 5751 through everything new sensor makes.

Currently Mullard RI EL34s, v1- tungsol ri, v2 svetlana, jj83s in the CF and sovtek lps in the PI. Have some JJ KT77s too. I like them..they are different, but I don't love them...they take the amp to more 6L6-ish modern area I can't quite commit to.

But the general EQ of green crunch, no matter tubes, is not really in that nmv, early mv realm. It is it's own beast. Red 2 has more of that plexi style high midrange eq..albeit with way too much gain.
              I know I sound repetitive these days, but might I suggest the JJ ECC803S long-plate for V1 and PI? I've been loving them in Marshall-type circuits. There's something going on in the midrange that I can't describe well.
              Nope...

Comment

STOP THE PRESSES!

I did the C19 resistor mod about an hour ago, and I think that is the solution I have been looking for.

IDK WTF Marshall is thinking putting that resistor there into the path of the Red Channel.
                C19 is actually a capacitor and, looking at the schematic, seems to be a bright cap over the gain control. Snipping that will make a decent difference.

Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
                  C19 is actually a capacitor and, looking at the schematic, seems to be a bright cap over the gain control. Snipping that will make a decent difference.

http://music-electronics-forum.com/a...-60-02-v02.pdf
                  Sorry. Im not much of a technophile

Thats exactly what it does, it's been discussed ad nauseum for years over on the Marshall Forum. I just finally got around to taking the plunge.

It is a SIGNIFICANT positive change both in voicing of the Red channel as well as noise/hiss.. Its like I got another amp.
                  Last edited by JeffB; 03-01-2017, 08:44 PM. Reason: Moron

Comment

Working...
                  X