banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Correct way of string height (action) setup on a Stratocaster?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct way of string height (action) setup on a Stratocaster?

I’m a little bit confused about what is the right way of adjusting the string height (action) on a Stratocaster, supposing that the string height at the hut is already set.
    I have being searching on the internet and I have found 3 different ways:

1) From the Fender setup guide: You measure the height at the 17th fret using the fender recommended measures for the bass and treble side.
    2) From an article of John LeVan (PremierGuitar): You place a capo on top of the 1st fret and then measure the height at the 12th fret. He says that “This creates a “zero” fret and temporarily removes the nut from the action equation.”
    3) From several webpages on the internet: You measure the height at the 12th fret, but without using a capo on the first fret.

What do you recommend for the action setup?

Re: Correct way of string height (action) setup on a Stratocaster?

I'm not going to type a long blow-by-blow on the subject, just a few blurbs:

1) Action preference is purely subjective; some like it really high, some really low, others in-between
    2) Only you know what you like
    3) That being said, I always recommend a little higher action in general because the strings ring true (which equals more tone)
    and if you like to bend, it'll make it easier
    4) On a Strat, don't forget that how you setup your floating trem (decked, floating) also affects your action and string slinkiness

Comment

Follow the procedure in the Fender setup guide. This supposes that the nut height is correct, but unless you are doing something whacky with string gauge or have replaced the nut, most Strats ship with a nut that is very playable.

As LLL mentions, get your relief and float dialed in and intonation roughed out, then start adjusting saddle height. Strats are great to learn setup on, everything is so adjustable you really learn how everything interacts.m

For me, the numbers in the guide (4/64" range) works well with a little tweaking after to dial it into my preference.
      Last edited by PFDarkside; 02-22-2017, 02:48 PM.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Thank you for your attention. I used the Fender values because I thought that Fender is something like a "Bible" for a Stratocaster setup. But I feel that using Fender values the strings are too low for my playing style. I have read that many guitarists like SRV or Jimi Hendrix used really high string height, so I will raise my action now that I know that there is no "Bible" on this, and that I'm not breaking any important "rule" if I don't follow the Fender recommendations.

Comment

Working...
        X