Tube vs. Tube Marshall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tube vs. Tube Marshall

So now a head to head. Both through same signal chain and cab and recorded the same way (Zoom in the room) Only difference is some reverb on the DSL clip.

Another all tube Marshall ( I promise! No Skullduggery here)

DSL
    Last edited by JeffB; 03-06-2017, 09:09 AM. Reason: screwed up.
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Re: Tube vs. Tube Marshall

OK

?
    I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

sorry everyone

I screwed up and posted the modeller clip instead of the DSL clip. its fixed now.

Comment

A head to head of what? Whats the other amp?

Also, ignore mjsmablahblah...he's been spamming **** for awhile.
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Kamanda~SD View Post

Okey doke..Ignoring

Another all-tube Marshall vs. DSL.

Which one sounds better to you?

Comment

I, too, am curious about what amp the other amp is. And, yeah, if I were still a mod...
            Nope...

Comment

Oh I see, you're not telling us on purpose yet hah

I prefer the first one myself. But I am a fan of crunchy, bright, face rippin' type tone's to begin with (hence my love affair with 800s). The DSL sounds good but certainly darker, thicker, but almost like it's waiting to unleash itself...
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I'll give it bit to.see if anyone else wants to chime in on the new clip ("marshall3")

Comment

Oh I see, you're not telling us on purpose yet hah

I prefer the first one myself. But I am a fan of crunchy, bright, face rippin' type tone's to begin with (hence my love affair with 800s). The DSL sounds good but certainly darker, thicker, but almost like it's waiting to unleash itself...
                  +1

First one sounds great and LOUD. My only concern would be not being able to open it up that much very often. Is it a 50W NMV perhaps?
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

U.K Made, too!

I haven't really played this thing in 2 years. Not using the internal speaker (as I said before) it is running through my EVH cab,just like the DSL.

Only the amp's natural gain until the 2:20 ish mark (when I kick in the ep pre). Settings were slightly diff than in the pic here. I did some tube rolling after I recorded the clip and made some slight adjustments.

As Kamanda eluded to- the DSL sounds throttled back unless the Master is over 1/2 way up. Its just pre-amp distortion and doesn't really do it for me. The C5 is full tilt (and roughly same volume as vt20x clip in my other thread) and the tubes are pushed hard and the speaker is moving pretty well too.. The C5 has it's quirks, but with right speakers, eq settings, and tubes it will do a great NMV crunch of it's own. EDIT- AND though not quiet, it was much less volume than the DSL.. Jimmy Page knew what he was doing with all those little amps in the studio
                    Last edited by JeffB; 03-06-2017, 09:17 PM.

Comment

The DSL sounds more fine-tuned (EQ-wise) for a guitar track for a full song; slightly scooped and rings clear.

The 1st sounds constipated (doesn't ring clear) and would need lots of massaging to be used as a guitar track.
                      Last edited by LLL; 03-06-2017, 10:02 PM.

Comment

it's definitely the wrong sort of mic for recording a guitar track.

Comment

Working...
                        X