How to raise/lower volumes on treble/bass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to raise/lower volumes on treble/bass

What options (including DAW and pedals) do I have for raising and lowering volume of treble and bass of a guitar that I am recording with. I put volume in bold because it seems anywhere I adjust treble/bass settings I lose, well - treble and bass. Or am I missing something and there is no way to adjust one without affecting the other ?

What I am trying to accomplish (more exactly) is to lower the volume of my 'treble' strings (E,B,G). When I either lower treble or raise bass on the amp or guitar, it also impacts the 'bass' strings (D,A,E).

Re: How to raise/lower volumes on treble/bass

probably hosed short of changing pickup height/angle. The problems are:

1. your bass strings have frequency content thats in the treble range as well

2. there does not exist an implementable filter which has a true shelf response...ie you can't just affect one frequency.

3. your filter won't change the volume of the individual strings because there are multiple frequencies on each string. How would a filter know whether you are playing Mid E on your low E string at the 12th fret, your A string at the 7th fret or your D string at the 2nd fret? the same logic applies to all strings.

The main problem is that once youve picked up this signal with a guitar pickup, youve lost a certain amount of "information". You can't easily get it back, probably the easiest way if this is a real problem for you is to adjust your pickup height or your playing style,
    Originally posted by kilphody
    There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

if you just want pretty close, you can use a graphic equalizer with a pretty heavy Q factor on the frequency you are trying to affect. The one I use is from Melda Audio, its free and has a visualizer
      Originally posted by kilphody
      There is no such thing as useless knowledge.

Comment

You can also spend the time to eq the parts of the track using bass and treble strings separately. If things sound good otherwise and there's one little part that's too woofy, I'll eq the flub out of that part only.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          You can also spend the time to eq the parts of the track using bass and treble strings separately. If things sound good otherwise and there's one little part that's too woofy, I'll eq the flub out of that part only.
          Yes, multing is our best friend in the studio!
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

You really need to fix the problem at the source. Adjust your pickups.
            TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Thank you for all the info. The guitar was just set up, so I didn't want to mess with the pickup height. Although looking at my options, it seems to be worth trying first. I will just count the screw turns so I can put them back to where they were.

Comment

I know alot of techs that don't touch pickup height on a setup since its so personal. go at er, you cant hurt anything.
                TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Depending on whatever DAW you're recording in to, there also may be plugins where you can use compression on frequency bands separately ie you can compress your treble levels one way and your bass levels another way to get them even.

Also keep in mind that lowering/cutting bass or treble frequencies that are there is always doable. It's a lot harder to raise the levels of frequencies that aren't really there in the first place. Also, this may seem like a dumb question, but how old are your strings? With old strings, the wound strings will have less perceived volume than the treble strings because they're usually more affected by age and will sound duller over time more so than the treble strings. I've noticed this especially on bass guitars with some strings sets - especially roundwounds - where the D and G strings are loud and clear but the E just sounds like it is missing.

Comment

Working...
                  X