banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

80s inpsired synth pop demo -- (almost) all of my synths playing at once!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80s inpsired synth pop demo -- (almost) all of my synths playing at once!

Started working on an 80s inspired synth pop project which I hope takes off the ground ... never done anything like this before so I really don't know if I can come up with an entire set's worth of material.

Anyway, here's what I have thus far. This was recorded live, no post production of any sort. The sequencers and synths used were:
    Arturia BeatStep Pro >
    Arturia MiniBrute (bass)
    Dave Smith MOPHO (square wave pattern)
    Roland JV-1080 (drums)

Arturia BeatStep >

E-MU Proteus/1 (muted pattern)

Arturia KeyStep >
    Moog Mother-32 (square wave lead)

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-05-2017, 06:15 AM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: 80s inpsired synth pop demo -- (almost) all of my synths playing at once!

Click image for larger version

Name:	synthpop rig_1.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	5798224

Click image for larger version

Name:	synthpop rig_2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	5798225

Comment

At first I thought this was a Nathan thread haha

Sounds great. A little too bubble-gummy for me, but it sounds just like what I think of when I hear 'synth-pop'
      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Ha! Well, I was actually alive in the 80s. =p

My usual synth work is definitely more brooding than this, but I have these step sequencers waiting to be used and the Internet is stuffed to capacity with boffins twiddling about with analogue synths making soundscapes. So to my mind I want to go in the other direction.

I am quickly realizing that using sync'd MIDI devices like this poses a lot of challenges very unique due to the simplistic nature of the control as well as the limitations of the step sequencer. You are actually playing the sequencers as much as you are playing the actual synths. There is this preconceived notion that it's like playing softsynth tracks in a DAW where the reality is the complete opposite.

Thanks for listening!
        Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-03-2017, 09:48 AM.

Comment

Updated the demo to its current state; added reverb (Lexicon Alex) to a couple of the synths and re-recorded it.

Comment

hip man - very hip
            It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

Originally posted by Hurricane View Post
              hip man - very hip
              Ha, that's me: one of the Cool Kids lol.

Thanks for listening!
              Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-07-2017, 07:10 AM.

Comment

As I listened to your song I started to feel the same vibes as Johhny Nash's song's synth's :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKvmlj2k_fM @ the1:35 mark

Great job man .

EZ :

HR
                It started for me with Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in 54 on a Blues Harp and progressed , then life .....some death ....Evolving as I went like a small rock in a stream rounding out as I went with the flow as I go through the white waters and waterfalls of life . Life has always been interesting to me

Comment

Wow thanks, that song has a brilliant arrangement/execution/production.

Comment

I LOVE it!!!

Needs a guitar though....clean, a little compression, some delay.
                    Maybe a distorted chord held under the main riffs

I'm feeling Dale Bozio singing...

When I was getting back into "band" mode - original 80's synth pop one of my top choices. Only reason I didn't do that was Hollywood Blvd Glam Metal came together first!

Imagine - there could be a ton of pics of me on here with a skinny tie!!!!
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Ha! Thanks for listening.

This project is inspired by the earliest synth bands: Kraftwerk, Human League, OMD, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Gary Numan; not the synth-charged new wave pop/rock that followed in the mid 80s: Duran Duran, Boy George, Wham, Utlravox, Spandau Ballet, etc.

What I like about this era is that it's not all pop songs, there is a fair amount of experimentation as well.

So, at least for now -- no guitar, just the classic lineup of a singer and a guy with a keyboard!

The other interesting thing about this style is that, while you save on rehearsal time, that's offset by a lot of programming and knob-twisting!
                      Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 04-08-2017, 10:55 AM.

Comment

That was awesome..... had an old 80s video game vibe to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by macki View Post
                            That was awesome..... had an old 80s video game vibe to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            Likewise! (Don't know a thing about synth-pop..or synths in general though )
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
                            X