Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sultan of Swing solos

Originally posted by NothingHappens View Post
    Actually I'm not feeling the solo here so much. I think your playing is technically very good. But what's missing is some muscle/aggression. Perhaps what I'm hearing is that your amp isn't "popping" enough or something. It sounds too safe/clean. But that's not a big problem to overcome. Like I said your playing is technically very good.
    You don't muscle Knopfler. If you want muscle and aggression you go to Beck, he is the most angry player on the planet and muscle and aggression happens:

Comment

Hey daenius, I never did get you rig info down? It looks as though you're using a Tom Anderson guitar but after that how is the signal dealt with?

I think what I'm driving at is a tone issue. But just beware that the tone thing manifests itself as a physical playing thing. I definitely play groovier when my guitar is plugged into my 1974 quad reverb vs. directly into the mixer. When it's plugged directly into the mixer (in my studio) the notes just behave totally differently and then I do as well.
      https://soundcloud.com/johns-music-2

Comment

Originally posted by NothingHappens View Post
        Hey daenius, I never did get you rig info down? It looks as though you're using a Tom Anderson guitar but after that how is the signal dealt with?

I think what I'm driving at is a tone issue. But just beware that the tone thing manifests itself as a physical playing thing. I definitely play groovier when my guitar is plugged into my 1974 quad reverb vs. directly into the mixer. When it's plugged directly into the mixer (in my studio) the notes just behave totally differently and then I do as well.
        Totally agree with you on the tone thing! Here's how I like to describe "tone" as it appears to the player vs the audience:
        Think of the audience as the audience at a NASCAR event, and they're all looking at race cars... What do they think? "Damn, those cars are fast!" Of course they're fast, and they are all damn fast to the audience. What if you asked the DRIVERS? They'll tell you "oh this car handles like this, accelerates like that, and cornering with it feels this way and that way". Now that's something only the DRIVER will feel, the audience will just see a fast car zipping by.

The same with tone, really. We've all heard amp demos and guitar demos recording professionally by professional players and they all sound damn good, regardless of the price point or anything objective about the product. However, when you play through that product, that's when you notice how it reacts to your playing, and how that inspires or hinders your playing. The listener will never know nor feel that, other than the fact that it may potentially cause you to play better or worse, but only you the driver will know how the race car accelerates when you floor that pedal.

My rig in that video was this:

Tom Anderson Short Scale Classic with SF2 noiseless single coils and an HN3+ humbucer. I used strictly the middle pickup for the recording.
        Zinky Blue Velvet 25 Watt combo amp with the clean channel, gain at about 12 o'clock. Great amp with such a fat, punchy, yet clear and articulate clean channel that has tremendous amount of head room. This is why I was able to have the gain up fairly high for that saturation and slight compression without losing clarity or causing the amp to get too dirty.
        SM57 mic to the amp, placed just a tad off the dead center.
        Small amount of reverb and delay were added later through Guitar Rig 5
        I did apply a small amount of EQ to cut out anything below 60Hz in my DAW as well.

That's about all I could remember! Hope it helps

Comment

That was great, and I'd respectfully disagree on it sounding "too safe/clean". I thought it had plenty of feeling - it's not 100% Knopfler, and it doesn't have to be; there's only one Mark Knopfler.

Hope you post more stuff here in the future.

Comment

Working...
          X