Improvised jam from last night's rehearsal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Improvised jam from last night's rehearsal

The solo section for one of our live songs has an improvised jam over a sequencer loop. This is totally unrehearsed and every time we try to bring something different into the mix. Ideas shift and morph as we play around each other. Makes for a rather trippy experience, proceed with caution.

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Improvised jam from last night's rehearsal

Pretty cool... very "Yes-ish" (at least to my ears). Nice build too!

Of course, you realize that you have a ten-minute solo "section" for one song, right? How long is the song in its entirety?
    Originally posted by The Commodores?
    "Chicken Brown Chicken Brown Cow"

Comment

Originally posted by BriGuy1968 View Post
      Pretty cool... very "Yes-ish" (at least to my ears). Nice build too!
      Thanks for listening!

Of course, you realize that you have a ten-minute solo "section" for one song, right?
      Yup, quite aware. Though, to be fair, the last minute is the actual end of the song, so it's more like a 9-minute interlude. 10 minutes would just be self-indulgent. :P

How long is the song in its entirety?
      The studio version of the song is about 8:20 long. The live version tends to be anywhere from 11-15 minutes depending on the interlude and when I feel we should bring it to an end.

This is a Crossover/Neo-Prog project so it's in keeping with the rest of the songs. And thanks for the Yes reference, there are lots of Yes (and Rush, Pink Floyd, Tangerine Dream, yadda yadda yadda) allusions in the songs.

Comment

Had me until like 3:43, though there's some very fast shredding happening after that the guitars sound like they're fighting with each other until 8.40, then it all comes back together and sounds cool again.
        Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
        Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
        Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
        Marshall 1960a
        Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Thanks for listening! That section continues to morph and is never the same twice, but thanks for your impressions!

Comment

Interesting.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
              Interesting.

That's one word for it!
              Thanks for listening!

Comment

Play in open Worship environments and we do stuff like that all the time. I will always have a recorder going as you never know when some thing really COOL will just happen in a spontaneous jam. If you record then you have a record and can go back use an idea or recreate a spontaneous moment then turn it into a real song. Cool to hear others doing this!
                Here are a couple examples from some of the stuff we have pulled out of nothing.
                This was a spontaneous tune from an event we did and I had my little Sony SX 700 just laying on a chair out front. Had there been no recording it would have been gone after the moment.

Really cool little open Worship jam of an impromptu group of musicians again recorded with the little Sony just sitting on a table in the back.

Different team same recorder just sitting on a window sill.

This is one of those good old fashioned Black Pentecostal Church PRAISE BREAKS! Think tent revival scene blues Brothers 2 LOL!!

Another team again same little recorder total off the cuff song so--.

PS playing the little Zinky Velvet on all the clips.
                Last edited by Ascension; 05-17-2017, 11:41 PM.
                Guitars
                Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Reminds me of late 70's Rush.

Comment

Working...
                  X