problems in sheet music

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problems in sheet music

ok so im writing out a guitar piece for my band and i ran into an issue, the peice is in 4/4 at 75bpm and uses triplets but in the 3rd riff where thers a bunch of power chords (e5, g5, a5 simple af powerchord progression) idk if i write it as triplets, or chnge time sig to 3/4 and put 12 eighth notes. here is 5 mesures of what i have (was writing on paper had to throw together a png for question is why it looks crappy. around mesure 6 is where idk what to write. also i made some of the tab numbers pink to make what number was there more obvious.
    heres the sheet music
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tablature-with-treble-staff.gif
Views:	1
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	5843770
    and heres the music
    https://soundcloud.com/amedeas-kenny...n/sdforumshelp
    [shameless advertisement] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh1..._as=subscriber

Originally posted by BloodRose
    And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Re: problems in sheet music

6/8 is often used for double timing /triplets within a 4/4 time sig. That would work for your first few bars you have there.
    Last edited by GoldenVulture; 04-24-2017, 06:15 AM.
    sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
    - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Since everything is in a triplet feel, just change it to 12/8 instead.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
        Without accent marks it's impossible to really should be, but I suspect it's not 12/8. There is also a measure of 4/4; it looks like it alternates between two different time sigs.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

If it's constant triplet 8th notes like in the example, I would write it in compound meter like what I have below. I also changed some of the music to accommodate what you played on the example in your Soundcloud.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Steel Guitar.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	5800153
          Line 6 Helix
          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

The real question is what is the drum beat behind this. Straight four? Write is 4/4 and triplets. Half time shuffle? Write it as 12/8.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
              6/8 is often used for double timing /triplets within a 4/4 time sig. That would work for your first few bars you have there.
              Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              Without accent marks it's impossible to really should be, but I suspect it's not 12/8. There is also a measure of 4/4; it looks like it alternates between two different time sigs.
              Originally posted by akio View Post
              The real question is what is the drum beat behind this. Straight four? Write is 4/4 and triplets. Half time shuffle? Write it as 12/8.
              ok.... alil overwhelmed.... lol, ill admit i havent dealt with actual sheet music in like....5? yeah 5 years. so im alil rusty... ok alot rusty. so based off of faulty memory and lack of consistent thought i THINK that its supposed to be in 4/4 because when listening to what my drummer played on a different demo i have he hit on 2 and 4 so i think its 4/4. although i was mainly curiouse about the power chord riff at the end of the sound cloud clip i put up. luckily (or unluckily idk idc) my bassist only reads tab which was who i was writing it for to begin with so all of my hard work and effort in adding sheet music to help him sight read what the rhythm is and where his cues were next to the guitar part is all for naught..... so in other words as long as i can memorize the crappy 3 chord riffs that i come up with i dont need to write out my parts ever.... im not bitter..........
              If it's constant triplet 8th notes like in the example, I would write it in compound meter like what I have below. I also changed some of the music to accommodate what you played on the example in your Soundcloud.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]79998[/ATTACH]
              HOLY HABERDASHERY BATMAN! have i been writing an octave higher than i should have been???? also what do you use to make ur sheet music? ive been using blank copy paper and a really nice ruler.... honestly i think yours looks a tad neater.....
              [shameless advertisement] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh1..._as=subscriber

Originally posted by BloodRose
              And, any time you get hung up with your vocals, scream YA UH! OOOOOOOO... Works for Het...

Comment

Originally posted by dazedandconfused001 View Post
                ok.... alil overwhelmed.... lol, ill admit i havent dealt with actual sheet music in like....5? yeah 5 years. so im alil rusty... ok alot rusty. so based off of faulty memory and lack of consistent thought i THINK that its supposed to be in 4/4 because when listening to what my drummer played on a different demo i have he hit on 2 and 4 so i think its 4/4. although i was mainly curiouse about the power chord riff at the end of the sound cloud clip i put up. luckily (or unluckily idk idc) my bassist only reads tab which was who i was writing it for to begin with so all of my hard work and effort in adding sheet music to help him sight read what the rhythm is and where his cues were next to the guitar part is all for naught..... so in other words as long as i can memorize the crappy 3 chord riffs that i come up with i dont need to write out my parts ever.... im not bitter..........

HOLY HABERDASHERY BATMAN! have i been writing an octave higher than i should have been???? also what do you use to make ur sheet music? ive been using blank copy paper and a really nice ruler.... honestly i think yours looks a tad neater.....
                Well you could absolutely write a 12/8 piece where the snare hits are on 2 and 4. It also matters what else he's playing in between. If he's tapping triplets on his hi hats or ride in time with your triplet stuff, then go 12/8. If he's just doing hi hats on the beat, then I would still go 12/8 but that's because I like writing in compound time.

I use Guitar Pro 6. I'm gonna be upgrading to 7 as soon as I get my tax return.
                Last edited by Johnny the Kid; 04-26-2017, 01:33 PM.
                Line 6 Helix
                Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Why not simply record all the pieces yourself and have the other players learn it that way?

Free printable staff paper here:
                  Print blank sheet music for free, guitar and bass tabs too, ready-to-print music staff paper

poke around the menu, they have tablature as well
                  Originally posted by Brown Note
                  I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                  My Blog

Comment

Working...
                  X