• Show
Clear All

• Eventide Clockworks H910 Harmonizer

Click image for larger version

Name:	H910.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	130.6 KB
ID:	5844627

Inducted into the TEC Hall of Fame. This unit is legendary and has been on countless legendary albums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eventi...910_Harmonizer

The Eventide H910 Harmonizer was first demonstrated to universally positive reactions at the AES show in late 1974. It was designed by Eventide's first engineer, Tony Agnello (who went on to become the president of Eventide's audio division). The pre-production prototype was a hand-wired box topped with a music keyboard controller. Jon Anderson of the band Yes was among those impressed, and he became a tester for the first prototype. The production H910 was released in 1975, offering pitch shifting (±1 octave), delay (up to 112.5 ms), feedback regeneration and other features in an easy-to-use box that sold for $1,600. The H910 was named after a Beatles tune (the model number refers to the "One After 909").

The first H910 customer was New York City's Channel 5, utilizing it to downward pitch shift I Love Lucy reruns that were sped up to create room to run more commercials. Speeding up the reruns had increased the pitch of the audio, and the H910 was able to shift that pitch back to where it originally had been. Frank Zappa added it to his guitar processing rig. Producer Tony Visconti used the H910 to create the snare sound on David Bowie's album Low (1977), as did Tony Platt on AC/DC's song "Back in Black" (1980). Another popular application was to use two H910s slightly detuned with a small delay. Notable users of this twin Harmonizer effect included Eddie Van Halen, who used it for his trademark guitar sound, and Tom Lord-Alge, who used it for the vocals on the hit Steve Winwood song, "Back in the High Life Again" (1986). Recognizing the popularity of this application, Eventide later recreated it as the "Dual 910" program in the H3000 UltraHarmonizer released in the late 1980s.

The H910 Harmonizer was recognized by the AES with a TECnology Hall of Fame award in 2007,[4] and on November 10, 1976, Eventide filed a trademark registration for "Harmonizer," and Eventide continues to maintain its rights to the Harmonizer trademark today.[5]
    I have plugins for this, but will I be getting a real one? Perhaps... ... ... ...

Re: Eventide Clockworks H910 Harmonizer

H9 has its own emulation of it...
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Awesome! But seems rather extravagant just for micro-shifting since there are a myriad of other ways to do that now. However, it is very very cool if you get a hardware version of one!!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        H9 has its own emulation of it...
        The Pitchfactor also has a lot of H910 algorithms. They are both great sounding cost effective alternatives seeing the price an original H910 goes for these days.

Comment

I was beyond stoked when they finally made a VST of this (since they had a PT version our much longer) and I use it ALL the time. Yes, there are better, more clean, more sophisticated pitch shifting boxes, but the H910 just has a SOUND and is great on so many sources. With that said, I use it to mainly to thicken snare drums and widen vocals. Probably wouldn't bother dealing with the hardware version myself.
          TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Pitch shifting the snare didn't mess with the phase relationship with the overheads?

Comment

Not in the way I use it. On a snare it's VERY subtle. I use it much like Tony Platt and Mutt Lange did on Back in Black. Detuned to about 93, play with feedback/ anti-feedback and mix to taste (honestly, I'm in about 5-10% most of the time). Fattens and spreads it just a bit. I find it helps the close mic sit in the mix better alot of the time too. Keep in mind with everything, this varies per tune. Sometimes I use just the short delays as well.

Originally posted by Tony Platt
              Quote:
              Originally Posted by Rockman View Post
              Hi Tony,

It's an honor and a pleasure to have you here. I had a follow up question about the drum sounds, if you don't mind... I was particularly interested in how you got such great depth on the snare sound on that album. I read somewhere that there were some delays and an eventide H910 involved. Would you feel comfortable expanding on that topic a little? To be more specific... What kind of settings did you generally use on those delays? And how far down did you detune on the H910? (which I assume was blended in with the original snare).

Thanks Tony!

Rockman
              You are absolutely right! We fed a gated snare signal into an H910 detuned to about 93 with the feedback and anti feedback up. This was a real pain as it would fail to trigger sometimes. Yes it was just under the real snare. no other harmonizer will work!! I often use short delays to fatten up the sound of many instruments.
              From THIS THREAD for those who care to hear more about Tony's answer on BIB.
              TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Interesting. I've never used time based effects on drums at all, besides for phase correlation; I will try this out!

Comment

Yeah I'd use the current Eventide stuff, except this is for studio applications, not guitar rig and... I gotta get the original.

Comment

Looking forward to hearing all about it when you get the box in the flesh!

Comment

After thoroughly researching, I've decided on the Pitchfactor. I simply don't want to have to re-cap and refurbish a 40 year old piece of gear should it decide to get tired; plus ebay is a total crapshoot.

The H9, surprisingly, does *not* have line level ins/outs (but it is listed under "Studio" section on their website). Conversely, the Pitchfactor *does* have line level ins/outs (but is listed under "Stage" section on their website). So yeah, gonna need line levels for the hotter studio config. Pitchfactor is it.

It's funny with the YouTube demos of the Pitchfactor; practically everybody focuses on the pitch shifting arpeggiating and crazy whammy noises and totally ignores the H910/H949 doubling side of things; of which put Eventide on the map.

Comment

Yup, it's one thing when you are a pro studio with on staff techs and another when you are an end user.

Comment

I went with the PitchFactor.

Good thing I did my homework (I always do anyways) - I needed line levels and the H9 ain't got it; Pitchfactor does.

Now I can offload my Eventide plugin (I have them) need to an actual hardware piece. Typically the plugins don't eat up too much CPU cycles unless you're doing strange things or, in the case of one of my fave settings, doing the dual H910 setup.

To be honest, although I've fiddled with all the other bells 'n' whistles in it, and they're cool and wild and all, I mainly use the Pitchfactor for the H910/H949 effect of doubling guitar.

It's all wired up and sitting pretty in my studio rack now. Remote controlled so to speak via 30ft (need a hub for this length) USB cable. Use the H9 software to change presets or tweak the dials.

Comment

Owning both units I find the H9 to be much more flexible. Line levels are convenient but not absolutely necessary for most applications. If you would like my take on the unit check out my review on the Eventide website. I did my homework, I always do.

The H9 Max is the ultimate stereo multi FX pedal with reverb, pitch shifting, delay, chorus & more. Offers Bluetooth wireless control app.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	5801101

Comment

Working...
                            X