banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shure SM57 Mic Won't Pick Up Any Sound! Please HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shure SM57 Mic Won't Pick Up Any Sound! Please HELP!

Hi guys, I picked up an Shure SM57 and I'm new to recording. The mic isn't picking up signal and I was hoping anyone with experience or knowledge could help me get it working.

Signal: [amp -> SM57 mic -> cable (XLR to guitar cable) -> guitar interface (Behringer UCG102) -> garageband]

My Garageband input setting is the guitar interface and my output is my computer's output. I played my amp loud and the SM57 wouldn't pick up noise when I was recording, but however, if I tapped on the mic i got a super small signal.

I've tried messing the the input volume on the guitar interface and it still won't give me any signal.

Anyone that can help it would be extremely appreciated! (sorry ik this isn't really related to an amp forum but I figured you guys would be able to help)

Thanks

Shure SM57 Mic Won't Pick Up Any Sound! Please HELP!

Hi guys, I picked up an Shure SM57 and I'm new to recording. The mic isn't picking up signal and I was hoping anyone with experience or knowledge could help me get it working.

Signal: [amp -> SM57 mic -> cable (XLR to guitar cable) -> guitar interface (Behringer UCG102) -> garageband]

My Garageband input setting is the guitar interface and my output is my computer's output. I played my amp loud and the SM57 wouldn't pick up noise when I was recording, but however, if I tapped on the mic i got a super small signal.

I've tried messing the the input volume on the guitar interface and it still won't give me any signal.

Anyone that can help it would be extremely appreciated! (Is this a common thing people deal with? how do I fix this issue?)

Thanks

Comment

Re: Shure SM57 Mic Won't Pick Up Any Sound! Please HELP!

SM57s are built like brick ****houses. If anything, I'd bet the problem doesn't lie with the mic.

I would start troubleshooting with the Behringer piece. Try another mic that you know works.

Comment

how are you running the sm57 into the ucg102? the sm57 should have a balanced xlr cable (3 wires) and the ucg102 only has a 1/4" mono input (2 wires). id guess your xlr to guitar cable is the culprit but pretty sure the ucg102 is designed for you to plug the guitar straight in

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
          SM57s are built like brick ****houses. If anything, I'd bet the problem doesn't lie with the mic.

I would start troubleshooting with the Behringer piece. Try another mic that you know works.
          Ok so I used a cable right into the interface from the guitar and I used a fake amp in garageband and was getting a regular style signal (so the interface works right?). Could the cable connecting the interface and the mic be the problem (its a 15 ft "Hosa HXS-015 REAN XLR3F to 1/4 inch TRS Pro Balanced Interconnect Cable)?

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            how are you running the sm57 into the ucg102? the sm57 should have a balanced xlr cable (3 wires) and the ucg102 only has a 1/4" mono input (2 wires). id guess your xlr to guitar cable is the culprit but pretty sure the ucg102 is designed for you to plug the guitar straight in
            The cable that I'm connecting the "Hosa HXS-015 REAN XLR3F to 1/4 inch TRS Pro Balanced Interconnect Cable, 15 feet" I bought off of Amazon. That cable should work right?

Comment

depends on how the jack on the ucg102 is wired. try only putting the jack in half way so the tip and ring are making contact but not the sleeve. ideally youd want a xlr to 1/4" mono cable or adapter. and again, i believe the ucg102 is designed for a guitar to be plugged straight in rather than an mic'd amp

Comment

You need a SHURE low-to-high impedance transformer on the end of an XLR-XLR cable to make this work.

Shouldn't you be able to plug the guitar straight into the interface and bypass the amp and mic altogether?

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  depends on how the jack on the ucg102 is wired. try only putting the jack in half way so the tip and ring are making contact but not the sleeve. ideally youd want a xlr to 1/4" mono cable or adapter. and again, i believe the ucg102 is designed for a guitar to be plugged straight in rather than an mic'd amp
                  Isn't that what I bought though?
                  Would you recommend buying the correct cable you're talking about (please link one from amazon if poss) or should I buy one of those $100 Focusrite interfaces and buy an XLR to XLR cable?

Comment

At quick glance - you're trying to use an instrument level input on a device that doesn't provide any preamp gain that you could try to use with a microphone. It doesn't double as a microphone preamp/interface etc.
                    My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

Originally posted by Davii View Post
                      At quick glance - you're trying to use an instrument level input on a device that doesn't provide any preamp gain that you could try to use with a microphone. It doesn't double as a microphone preamp/interface etc.
                      Is there any cable that could make it work to save money or would I need to get a Focusrite and an XLR-to-XLR cable?

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                        You need a SHURE low-to-high impedance transformer on the end of an XLR-XLR cable to make this work.

Shouldn't you be able to plug the guitar straight into the interface and bypass the amp and mic altogether?

Bill
                        How is that different than the cable I bought?

Comment

Originally posted by ms1844 View Post
                          Is there any cable that could make it work to save money or would I need to get a Focusrite and an XLR-to-XLR cable?
                          There might be convoluted ways of doing it, but ultimately, if you want to start micing things up (be that your amp, voice, or anything else), then you're better off looking at a suitable interface to do that.
                          My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

What amp are you using?

Also, have you tried bypassing the mic and just going directly from the guitar to the interface? If not, try that and see if you get a signal.

Comment

I'm thinking of ordering the Shure Low-to-High Impedence Transformer that Bill was talking about and an XLR-to-XLR cable in order to save money.

Is this the one you were talking about?: https://www.amazon.com/Shure-A85F-Tr...ce+transformer

Will it work and sound good?

Comment

Working...
                              X