banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shure SM57 Mic Won't Pick Up Any Sound! Please HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shure SM57 Mic Won't Pick Up Any Sound! Please HELP!

That's the item.

Can you plug your mic and the cable you've been using into your guitar amplifier? Do you get sound out of it? (Be careful with your levels....guitar amps have a lot of top-end...it will screech like a banshee.) I'm pretty sure it won't have much output; the HOSA cable is useful in many situations, but it does not have a transformer.

I won't GUARANTEE that the mic to XLR-XLR to transformer to interface will work, but I'm 98% sure that it will improve the output.

Now whether it will actually sound good through your interface...I don't know. I'm doubtful; it's not designed for a vocal mic input.

Good luck.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Hey question, whats the point in the cable that I previously had? Like if it doesn't work that way then what's it good for?

Comment

AHA! I knew you were going to ask that!

I have a couple of these that I use to connect odd bits of PA rack gear I've collected over the years. One piece has XLR inputs and outputs. The next piece might be a budget piece that the designers didn't put XLRs in, but they did use 1/4" TRS jacks for "balanced line" operation. (Good for keeping things noise-free!) And then I might have to use the "reverse" cable to connect the next piece. From the gear's TRS OUT to a TRS-XLR cable, but this end is the opposite...it is like the end that fits into the mic.

Some Taylor ES guitars are wired with a TRS out.

My older Taylor 710CE has a Fishman STEREO Prefix Blend Preamp. So, common ground, plus mic out, plus the Under-Saddle Transducer. I can use a TRS-XLR reverse cable and then a Y-splitter adaptor to feed two separate channels of the PA. Now this gives me separate control over the tone and volume of the preamp's little built-in mic, and the UST in a separate channel. It is a complicated setup; time consuming, but when done right it gives me a very natural acoustic guitar tone...much better than I would get from the UST alone.

The XLR to TRS cable can be very handy as an adaptor cable, but it's not a "mainstream" cable in wide professional use. Its role is as an adaptor cable...a problem solver cable most often used to hook up non-standardized gear.

Throw it in a drawer, I can guarantee you will never, ever need it.

Throw it away, and within 10 days, you'll probably need to buy one!

Such is the way of the world, and life in pro audio.

That help?

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Very helpful! Thank you so much for the responses and information. By chance are you like an audio engineer or something or do you just know this stuff?

Comment

PhD. from the School Of Hard Knocks.

Been doing music and guitar 50+ years...I learned things. I gig, have my own PA, even made a living from it for 12 years or so. I read a lot, and have an extensive library of how-to audio tomes.

I don't do a lot of home recording, though. I have an old DAW for working out tones and songs, but never done any computer stuff like ProTools or Garageband.

You may still find that you will get the best amp tones using software plug-ins, at least until you have a suite of studio gear, a shelf full of professional mics, racks of processors and the knowledge to use it. A PRO can take a modest set-up and make it sound great, but there are many wannabees that could use a $1,000,000 studio and come out with crap. Get the knowledge.

Bill

Comment

Yeah as bill has said it won't work like this. If you don't want to get another interface (you probably should) their are cheap mic preamps you can find like art or behringer that will help.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
              Gondola Kid
              Bandcamp
              Facebook
              JimijaymesGuitarist
              Youtube

Comment

Working...
              X