banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New songwriting demo, FARMER GILES OF HAM (Genesis, Renaissance, NWOBHM)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New songwriting demo, FARMER GILES OF HAM (Genesis, Renaissance, NWOBHM)

The shortest song for the upcoming album at only 8 minutes in length, I like how this once came out. It traverses some different stylistic ground than my other songs: a strong Renaissance influence in the middle section and a NWOBHM/old school metal vibe in the last section.

This is all temp sounds, now ready for the session drummer and reamping!

UPDATE 11 JULY 17: Reamped the guitars and bass for this song.

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 07-11-2017, 07:01 PM.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: New songwriting demo, FARMER GILES OF HAM (Genesis, Renaissance, NWOBHM)

Reamped the guitars and bass tracks; OP has been updated to reflect this.

Comment

Sounds ace dude..it really goes all over the place ..love the tones! The bass stands out and sounds awesome (the mix is very well balanced, so it's not that it's too loud..just great tone & position in the mix) . That Arabian nights kinda section with the orchestral/synth stuff & sweet solo, sounds epic as ****! Nice old-school \m/ jam with the twin guitars at the end there too. Very cool tune
      "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
      If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

What's the purpose of such extended playing and procrastination? Is this supposed to be clubbing music or something? And eh...I think I hit road bumps in some places.

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post
          Sounds ace dude..it really goes all over the place ..love the tones! The bass stands out and sounds awesome (the mix is very well balanced, so it's not that it's too loud..just great tone & position in the mix) . That Arabian nights kinda section with the orchestral/synth stuff & sweet solo, sounds epic as ****! Nice old-school \m/ jam with the twin guitars at the end there too. Very cool tune
          Thanks! Once the vox are in, the musical shifts may make a little more sense because the narrative will be there. I view the thematic shifts as musical scene changes, plus I get bored quickly and like playing music that echews the verse/bridge/chirus structure. Heh, I call that middle section the Sheharizade section, so we are on the same page there!

Comment

Originally posted by Obsessive Compulsive View Post
            What's the purpose of such extended playing and procrastination?
            Why do people climb mountains?

Is this supposed to be clubbing music or something?
            Really can't tell if you are trolling or being funny here, so I am assuming 'funny'. Also assuming you are not a fan of prog, which is fine, but it strikes me as odd that you would take the 8-plus minutes out of your day if you are not into it.

And eh...I think I hit road bumps in some places.
            I don't understand this comment. You, as a listener, hit road blocks? Or you heard something wrong with the playing, timing-wise?

Comment

Originally posted by Lampy H
              Awesome work, as always. That lead work is great, and I absolutely loved everything from about 2:00 to 5:30. I also really dig the bass riff underneath that main NWOBHM rhythm toward the end. A perfect example of guitar and bass locking in without mimicking each other. Reminds me of the main riff from After Forever by Sabbath.
              Thanks for listening and for the kind words! There is a little Opeth vibe in that part as well (to my ears) which I didn't notice until afterwards.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                Why do people climb mountains?

Really can't tell if you are trolling or being funny here, so I am assuming 'funny'. Also assuming you are not a fan of prog, which is fine, but it strikes me as odd that you would take the 8-plus minutes out of your day if you are not into it.

I don't understand this comment. You, as a listener, hit road blocks? Or you heard something wrong with the playing, timing-wise?
                I used to love Dream Theater up until 2004 when they started to sound very corny with Train of Thoughts. I still enjoy tasteful prog these days especially Chick Corea's works with Return to Forever.

I meant, why do you keep your song so damn long, shouldn't there be a purpose to it? Like conveying a story or ideas that cannot possibly be completed in 3 minutes? Otherwise your music would be similar to clubbing music, but at least electronic dance music has its reason for infinite repeats and delay, cause it's music to which people dance.

Or is there a minimalistic theme ala Philip Glass?

As for the road blocks, I meant, the entire song sounds like patchwork built of unrelated pieces.

Comment

Anyways I rather dig it!
                  Love the changing moods, feels like small movie parts.
                  Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 07-14-2017, 05:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
                    Anyways I rather dig it!
                    Love the changing moods, feels like a small movie parts.
                    Thanks!

Comment

The first 30 seconds of the intro sounds a lot like this, starting at 1:45

Comment

Then at around 4:35 it sounds similar to Metallica's intro to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or "Creeping Death" or maybe something else but it's definitely Metallica; I can't remember which one.

And just before that (the middle eastern bass part), it is similar to the bridge of Iron Maiden's "Mother Russia" and "Seventh Son of the Seventh Son".

Comment

The first 30 seconds of the intro sounds a lot like this, starting at 1:45

Yup. So?

Comment

Then at around 4:35 it sounds similar to Metallica's intro to "For Whom the Bell Tolls" or "Creeping Death" or maybe something else but it's definitely Metallica; I can't remember which one.

And just before that (the middle eastern bass part), it is similar to the bridge of Iron Maiden's "Mother Russia" and "Seventh Son of the Seventh Son".
                            You have already established the fact that you don't like the song or my songwriting. What is it with the constant trolling?

Comment

Well maybe he is sleepy and just does all of this to stay awake?
                              Dunno what it is he wants...don't care!
                              I like that track!

Comment

Working...
                              X