banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you need the Scheps 73 EQ? Yes, you do!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you need the Scheps 73 EQ? Yes, you do!

The Scheps 73 EQ is on sale from Waves for only $29. I grabbed it because that price is great, Andrew Scheps actually uses it daily, and I was looking for a non Pultec EQ for guitars.

Tried it very quickly on a solo'd guitar track. Great Mother of Mystery, is it a great EQ for guitar. Without turning a knob the guitar got all sorts of harmonic goodness going. It is not a subtle or surgical EQ, it's like the Pultec in that fashion -- just turn knobs until you are happy.

If you are mixing lots of guitars you should definitley add this to your arsenal along with the other standards: Pultec, Sie-Q, RS56 and eosis Air. I will be experimenting using this as a tone press as well for aux buses and seeing how it compares to the NLS which is my current favourite for adding harmonic content.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Re: Do you need the Scheps 73 EQ? Yes, you do!

Hm, $30 is pretty good...maybe... haha
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

It's $59 on the Waves website.

http://www.waves.com/plugins/scheps-...73-eq-overview
      '69 Fender Mustang bass
      '69 Gibson EB-1
      '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
      '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
      '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
      '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
      '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
      '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

$60 is still a great price, but it was $30 last week ... I got the Schep 73 and the Doubler for $50.

Comment

$60 is OK, not out of hand, but I tend to be pretty choosy when it comes to plugins. They're a lot like drugs: the more one buys, the more one wants.

I tend to watch for deals on the Plugin Alliance where I've gotten quite a few freebies that were good and several for $19 (their Friday specials). Normally those $19 plugins are in the $59-79 range.
          '69 Fender Mustang bass
          '69 Gibson EB-1
          '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
          '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz

Comment

Yeah, Plugin Alliance is great!

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
              I tend to be pretty choosy when it comes to plugins. They're a lot like drugs: the more one buys, the more one wants.
              I like having options and especially like stacking different types of plugins together since they all process the sound differently. Fab Filter or the stock Logic EQ is great for surgical EQ, but for color EQs you can get a lot of very cool sounds by layering different EQs.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                I like having options and especially like stacking different types of plugins together since they all process the sound differently
                While I agree with this process to a certain extent, I tend to focus on the material and the performances. If those aren't up to snuff these techniques amount to little more than putting lipstick on a pig.
                '69 Fender Mustang bass
                '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

While I agree with this process to a certain extent, I tend to focus on the material and the performances. If those aren't up to snuff these techniques amount to little more than putting lipstick on a pig.
                  When I am given something to mix I rarely have any control over the talent level involved. Sometimes you have to fix it in the mix as much as I would love to only have projects with amazing recordings of amazing, tasteful performances with great tone.

Comment

When I am given something to mix
                    I wasn't referring to what you (or I) might mix for others.

I was talking about our own respective stuff.

I don't mix for others.
                    '69 Fender Mustang bass
                    '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I wasn't referring to what you (or I) might mix for others.

I was talking about our own respective stuff.

I don't mix for others.
                      Ah, understood. But when you are done with the material and performance, when do you get to the fun stuff?

Comment

Ah, understood. But when you are done with the material and performance, when do you get to the fun stuff?
                        I guess our priorities and our focus are polar opposites (to each his own).

For my (time and) money, writing and performing are the "fun" stuff, or at least by far the most gratifying (particularly the former).

Re-amping and parallel processing a crappy song will never make it something it could never be.
                        '69 Fender Mustang bass
                        '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

I guess our priorities and our focus are polar opposites (to each his own).
                          I don't think so, just our methodologies; no judgement, as you said -- to each his own!

For my (time and) money, writing and performing are the "fun" stuff, or at least by far the most gratifying (particularly the former).
                          My favorite moment is when the arrangement snaps into place ... after that it's all work, work, work!

Re-amping and parallel processing a crappy song will never make it something it could never be.
                          Agree to disagree on that point, production is vitally important to a song's presentation outside of live performances in my opinion.

Comment

Agree to disagree on that point, production is vitally important to a song's presentation outside of live performances in my opinion.
                            But production cannot make a crappy song anything but perhaps an elegantly dressed-up crappy song: Lipstick on a pig.
                            '69 Fender Mustang bass
                            '69 Gibson EB-1

Comment

But production cannot make a crappy song anything but perhaps an elegantly dressed-up crappy song: Lipstick on a pig.
                              Yes, you have already established that line of reasoning.

Whilst it's alright to be proud of your songs to a certain extent, without even getting into the can of worms that is "by whose metric is anything deemed 'good' "... it does seem a bit elitist to say you actively avoid purchasing plugins because it detracts from le art. Art is subjective and making music salable is as much about the sound as it is about the actual content itself; hence one reason reason there are 2 million sub genres of metal.

And if your songs are good as acknowledged by the afore-mentioned metric ... there is nothing noble in depriving yourself the tools and options that can make them even better.

Comment

Working...
                              X