Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

      The things that you wanted
      I bought them for you

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

        I've always got to figure out where my dog is before recording with condenser mics. So many takes have had to be tossed because she decided to bark to go out, to go clacking across the floor in from of the amp, do some loud snoring, or started rolling around on the floor at an inopportune moment. I usually have the amp up high enough that it's not caught until mixing (dog's stone deaf and often sleeps right in front of the amp).
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

        Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

          Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
          I've always got to figure out where my dog is before recording with condenser mics. So many takes have had to be tossed because she decided to bark to go out, to go clacking across the floor in from of the amp, do some loud snoring, or started rolling around on the floor at an inopportune moment. I usually have the amp up high enough that it's not caught until mixing (dog's stone deaf and often sleeps right in front of the amp).
          Those are the pieces of magic you want to keep on your recordings! Lol

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

            I think I upped my tone.

            https://soundcloud.com/clint-jones-2...ralin-hhh-demo

            Good laptop, good interface, good consenser, good amp, new Fralins. Also moved the amp out from under my desk which was making it muddy and put it in the middle of the room. From contemplating the recorded sounds I like, I realized they sound full but that you can still hear the room a little. So I ended up with the mic 4 inches away from the amp which gave me a good balance of full tone and some room detail. I also realized the eq you hear when you're playing just in your room has nothing to do with the sound of the recorded tone so I eqd the amp while running the setup through my headphones. Took about 7 takes of tweaking to find a sweet spot. 2 things you guys have been telling me. Get your mic/amp placement and eq right. U still gotta have good gear tho.
            Last edited by Clint 55; 01-07-2020, 05:13 PM.
            The things that you wanted
            I bought them for you

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

              Can't really listen until I get home, but I do have to ask, what are you listening to when doing your mixes? You mentioned earbuds in another thread and I would say that is the worst, down with laptop speakers. Did you get some decent reference headphones or better, some decent monitors?

              BTW, I just picked up a set of Kali LP-6 monitors, they are amazing for the price ($149 each). Front ported, and lots of easy to use adjustments for the environment they are used in. Much clearer than the old BX8a set I've had forever, especially in the small room with terrible acoustics I have.

              FWIW, back to your OP, monitors are some of the most expensive pieces of equipment in pro studios with some setups north of $100k, the LP-6s are really good for $300.
              Last edited by devastone; 01-09-2020, 10:20 AM.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                I got some good over ear phones.
                The things that you wanted
                I bought them for you

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                  Originally posted by Gtrjunior View Post
                  Those are the pieces of magic you want to keep on your recordings! Lol
                  Agreed. I want to hear a whole album about and featuring that dog.
                  The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

                  Lead guitarist and vocalist of...



                  Keep up to date on our Facebook

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                    Sounds like your amp is set relatively quiet, so the neumann can work well for that application. It's better or capturing quieter sounds, like acoustic guitar, or the sound of the room, for applications like drums. I would be careful, however, not to throw too many spls at it. Condensor microphones typically aren't designed to handle tons of sound pressure, so you'll want to move it further away than 4 inches if you record your amp with any significant amount of volume. Also, I disagree completely that an sm57 sounds like crap. There's a learning curve to it, and placement is a huge part of that, but it's honestly my favorite mic for milking a cab.

                    You can get a lot of traction out of an upper-mid level interface, and though it is true that the whole signal chain matters, in my experience, you can achieve respectable quality without breaking the bank. It doesn't matter how transparent your mic pres are if you haven't learned what to listen for while mixing, and I imagine investing thousands up front thinking you'll automatically achieve pro quality as a result would be an expensive exercise in frustration. What type of DAW are you using? You're on the right track with watching instructional videos, but I recommend searching out ones that more closely mirror your setup and the tools available to you.
                    Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                    Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                    Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                    Marshall 1960a
                    Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                      My gearslutting shifted a bit, I now own a variety of microphones, AD/DA interfaces, mic preamps and the like.

                      Differences are huge. Also started modding mics a bit.

                      Plus that kind of gearslutting takes up a lot less space in the home. Unless of course you start acoustically treating your room

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                        Originally posted by AmirH View Post
                        Sounds like your amp is set relatively quiet, so the neumann can work well for that application. It's better or capturing quieter sounds, like acoustic guitar, or the sound of the room, for applications like drums. I would be careful, however, not to throw too many spls at it. Condensor microphones typically aren't designed to handle tons of sound pressure, so you'll want to move it further away than 4 inches if you record your amp with any significant amount of volume. Also, I disagree completely that an sm57 sounds like crap. There's a learning curve to it, and placement is a huge part of that, but it's honestly my favorite mic for milking a cab.

                        You can get a lot of traction out of an upper-mid level interface, and though it is true that the whole signal chain matters, in my experience, you can achieve respectable quality without breaking the bank. It doesn't matter how transparent your mic pres are if you haven't learned what to listen for while mixing, and I imagine investing thousands up front thinking you'll automatically achieve pro quality as a result would be an expensive exercise in frustration. What type of DAW are you using? You're on the right track with watching instructional videos, but I recommend searching out ones that more closely mirror your setup and the tools available to you.
                        A close sm57 and a condenser capturing the room is a great approach.
                        Good advise

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                          Originally posted by AmirH View Post
                          Sounds like your amp is set relatively quiet, so the neumann can work well for that application. It's better or capturing quieter sounds, like acoustic guitar, or the sound of the room, for applications like drums. I would be careful, however, not to throw too many spls at it. Condensor microphones typically aren't designed to handle tons of sound pressure, so you'll want to move it further away than 4 inches if you record your amp with any significant amount of volume. Also, I disagree completely that an sm57 sounds like crap. There's a learning curve to it, and placement is a huge part of that, but it's honestly my favorite mic for milking a cab.

                          You can get a lot of traction out of an upper-mid level interface, and though it is true that the whole signal chain matters, in my experience, you can achieve respectable quality without breaking the bank. It doesn't matter how transparent your mic pres are if you haven't learned what to listen for while mixing, and I imagine investing thousands up front thinking you'll automatically achieve pro quality as a result would be an expensive exercise in frustration. What type of DAW are you using? You're on the right track with watching instructional videos, but I recommend searching out ones that more closely mirror your setup and the tools available to you.
                          Yep. The quiet amp with correct tone and recording rig that records accurately is working much better for me than a pos dynamic "put in the right place". The sm57 can suck my balls. Learning techniques only with budget gear is a false dichotomy. You can get good gear then learn how to use it. I am watching videos that pertain to my setup. The 1st one is how to mix with a daw (or analogue). The 2nd one is how to master using plugins in reaper. The 3rd vid is a producer that I know the most about since he produced In Utero and I'm interested in analogue technology.
                          The things that you wanted
                          I bought them for you

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                            Eh, I don't know ..all my fave albums were probably recorded with SM57's in front of an ordinary 4x12 & they sound great to me.

                            Having said that I personally find nothing exciting about clean guitar tones (never have & most prob's never will) ..so maybe uber-expensive condenser's are the only the way to go to get your jolly's if that's your kinda stuff ..I would'nt know

                            For rocking out nice & loud (and having that energy translate to your recording)..nothing beats an SM57/decent dynamic. There's a reason why they're still around & are nearly everyone's 'go to' mic
                            "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

                            I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

                            Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                            If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.


                            Youtube

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                              I'm happy for you that you think an sm57 does an ok job when the amp is turned up all the way.
                              The things that you wanted
                              I bought them for you

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

                                Most amp's I've played don't sound anywhere near their best dimed..so why would I want to record them that way? But yeah..for best results I think there should be a bit of air being moved
                                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

                                I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

                                Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.


                                Youtube

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X