banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsessive Compulsive
    replied
    Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    FWIW . . . I've found that it's almost always better to get the sound and EQ you want by adjusting the amp and guitar BEFORE recording. Then you barely need to EQ anything to get it sounding great. Whenever I find myself heavily EQing a track, it seems that I've made a mistake somewhere.
    Garbage in, garbage out.

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied
    Re: I've come to the conclusion that the pros have more than a 1 grand mic/interface

Originally posted by Clint 55 View Post
    So there's a lot I can be working on with my upper/mid tier equipment. Do you think room acoustics is important also even for close micing?
    It's less important, but yes it makes a difference. I particularly notice with low end when you're recording at high volume.

I've built a couple 3'x4' and 6" thick panels wrapped with burlap and stuffed with rockwool. They're excellent at absorbing reflections. When close micing something, or if I want to kill room sound I just move some of the panels really close to the amp/acoustic guitar/drum and then record the part. The panels eat the reflections going out, then reduce them further coming back in. It's really handy if you're doing recording in your basement rather than a fancy studio with an anaechoic chamber. :P

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

So there's a lot I can be working on with my upper/mid tier equipment. Do you think room acoustics is important also even for close micing?

Leave a comment:

• Swampy
    replied

#1 Performance
    #2 Good mics and the correct placement (also know polarity/phase relationship)
    #3 Proper compression (Tracking to eliminate peaks and/or mixing to help glue tracks together)
    #4 Proper EQ
    #5 High Pass filtering (get rid of unneeded lows to eliminate a muddy mix)
    And much, much more.

Not necessarily in that order, but kind of.....8)

Edit:
    # 2.5 Good Preamps. Most modern, lower cost interfaces have more than adequate clean preamps.
    Last edited by Swampy; 12-11-2019, 09:19 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

Lots of good info!

Leave a comment:

• 80's_Metal
    replied

There is a ton of info on the YouTube.

I watch these videos all the time, they have taught me a lot.

Example:

Leave a comment:

• GuitarStv
    replied

FWIW . . . I've found that it's almost always better to get the sound and EQ you want by adjusting the amp and guitar BEFORE recording. Then you barely need to EQ anything to get it sounding great. Whenever I find myself heavily EQing a track, it seems that I've made a mistake somewhere.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

Would I eq a single clean track? I have a 7 band eq pedal. Would it be good to get a giant eq device to learn it better?
    You can eq until you’re content with what you are hearing. I’d suggest a free eq plugin.

Record your track and eq later...you will absolutely be making changes as the entire recording evolves.

Leave a comment:

• Gtrjunior
    replied

A huge part of a pro sound is done in the mastering process. You need specific software for that. The one I have is super easy to use. There are a bunch of presets you choose from and there are a few editing choices but it pretty much does it for you.
    Everything just “sits”better in the mix and you then can set your overall volume of the recording from there. It’s not necessary to worry about the individual volumes of the tracks while in the recording phase...just set your gain staging for the best signal and the mastering will handle the volume later.

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

You like Nirvana.
    Take a listen to this.
    https://soundcloud.com/demanic-1/ast...ation-12072019

Leave a comment:

• Demanic
    replied

You also have to keep in mind bandwidth. That and frequencies in a track will stack with each other in a final mix of multiple isolated tracks.

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

Would I eq a single clean track? I have a 7 band eq pedal. Would it be good to get a giant eq device to learn it better?

Leave a comment:

• LLL
    replied

Wtf. How do I get pro sound??
    For starters, learn the EQ spectrum. Inside and out. All frequencies.

This will also help tune your ears to said frequencies.

EDIT:

WAAAAT?

Leave a comment:

• Clint 55
    replied

I'd like to go back to skoo to see what equipment and techniques are used. I think I might take a class at the JC or do private lessons for recording.
    Last edited by Clint 55; 12-07-2019, 01:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Mincer
    replied

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
    Listen to "isolation tracks" of well known recordings. They are great examples of what a good solo guitar sound in a living room vs a good on a recording sound is. I'll say I'm not a fan of the bass strings sound on your recoding. Too soft/mushy. But as said, that's a potential eq/compression issue. It would disappear in a mix I'd think.

I had some idiot at a show one night telling me we needed to scoop the mids on the guitars. Yeah - that would have sounded awesome with the bass & drums thumping away...Dumb@$$.
    I just love people coming up and giving 'unsolicited advice'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X