The most INSANELY DIFFICULT riff I know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The most INSANELY DIFFICULT riff I know

This is the most challenging riff I can play. It starts out relatively simply (!?) and then just gets harder from there over THREE levels of difficulty. Just a 3min video, and the 3 levels are explained and demonstrated within. Let me know what you think! What is the most challenging riff that you know?

Re: The most INSANELY DIFFICULT riff I know

That actually is a pretty difficult riff to play. Counter point on guitar imo is more work than reward though. I'd rather hear just really fast rhythms for 1 line. The most difficult riff I probably know at the moment is Donna Lee.
    The things that you wanted
    I bought them for you

Comment

Yeah if you told me to play that at gunpoint, I'd pull the trigger myself

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
      Originally posted by Myaccount876
      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

While it is difficult, indeed, I would love to see that much effort going into something original.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Love it. nice vid.

I'm all about this style of play... I constantly blending counter melodies with picking and grabbing as part of the writing process -sometimes it works well with a band and sometimes it gets lost and not worth doing unless you are solo or on a record.
          “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

That was impressive, and definitely something I cannot do.

Welcome to the forum, way to enter with a bang I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
              Love it. nice vid.

I'm all about this style of play... I constantly blending counter melodies with picking and grabbing as part of the writing process -sometimes it works well with a band and sometimes it gets lost and not worth doing unless you are solo or on a record.
              Yeah I agree, it's too busy for a band setting, more just for fun at home! (or posting videos on the internet...)

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                While it is difficult, indeed, I would love to see that much effort going into something original.
                Well in that case, please enjoy this shameless plug

https://www.escapegoatedmonton.com/music

Comment

Uhh, have any of you ever listened to Dream Theater?
                  Or even Michael Hedges?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mooncat84 View Post
                    Well in that case, please enjoy this shameless plug

https://www.escapegoatedmonton.com/music
                    See, that stuff I like a lot better!
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Impressive!
                      Schecter C-1 elite(alt-5, Fullshred)
                      Fender Strat (Jb jr, ssl-2)
                      Mesa Boogie Rectoverb
                      Marshall 1960a
                      Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                        See, that stuff I like a lot better!
                        Thank you!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                          Uhh, have any of you ever listened to Dream Theater?
                          Or even Michael Hedges?

Sent from my Alcatel_5044C using Tapatalk
                          Haha I'm not saying it's the most difficult riff there is, it's simply the most difficult riff I know personally. I'm not super into Dream Theater, but I saw them live, they can definitely play! They sound like the kind of band that all met at a music college and were top of their class in each respective instrument lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Mooncat84 View Post
                            Haha I'm not saying it's the most difficult riff there is, it's simply the most difficult riff I know personally. I'm not super into Dream Theater, but I saw them live, they can definitely play! They sound like the kind of band that all met at a music college and were top of their class in each respective instrument lol.
                            I actually think that's a hard progression -but it's not the type of hard that I struggle with -as that progression is an exercise in pure coordination, which can broken down into it's constituent parts and slowed down and practiced until you get it the muscle memory and coordination and then slowly brought up to speed. but it is still very hard and an accomplishment to play it of course.

The riffs I think are insanely difficult for me are the type of riff using shear agility at speed that don't necessarily translate to a slower speed correctly due to string tension/bounce back, speed bending and feel etc -there are some riffs, you have to learn with a measure of speed to get the feel correct to even sound like them. -those type drive me f'in crazy
                            “For me, when everything goes wrong – that’s when adventure starts.” Yvonne Chouinard

Comment

Originally posted by NegativeEase View Post
                              I actually think that's a hard progression -but it's not the type of hard that I struggle with -as that progression is an exercise in pure coordination, which can broken down into it's constituent parts and slowed down and practiced until you get it the muscle memory and coordination and then slowly brought up to speed. but it is still very hard and an accomplishment to play it of course.

The riffs I think are insanely difficult for me are the type of riff using shear agility at speed that don't necessarily translate to a slower speed correctly due to string tension/bounce back, speed bending and feel etc -there are some riffs, you have to learn with a measure of speed to get the feel correct to even sound like them. -those type drive me f'in crazy
                              100% agree with your assessment of the parts. It's very slow going at the start, but once you've figured it out and gotten it into the muscle memory, it comes pretty quickly. But speed things, you've either built up the hand strength, coordination, and agility, or you haven't! There's a ton of lead playing as well that doesn't even remotely work at a slower speed; you kinda just have to get in there and go for it and with practice you can get the feel and timing right and turn it from a high-speed mess into something coherent and awesome sounding.

Comment

Working...
                              X