banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A2 vs A3 Magnets: CC & PGn

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • A2 vs A3 Magnets: CC & PGn

    Ok now my experiment with a2's and a3's in my 14.40K CC, and my 7.40K PGn. Both are in my mahogany MIK ibanez s370. The height is the same, I marked the height on the pickup before taking them out to swap the magnet. the strings, the amp setting etc etc ... are all the same.

    C2 = CC with an a2

    C3 = CC with an a3

    PGn with an a2

    PGn with an a3

    Soon I will be getting my a4's, and intend to record controlled clips of CC and a neck PAF style HB, each with a2-5. But for now this is all I've got.

    B
    dr.barlo
    Mojo's Minions
    Last edited by dr.barlo; 10-22-2004, 03:59 AM.
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

  • #2
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    Very cool,

    I can't decide which cc I like better, they are both very cool.

    I like the A3 in the PGn definately smoother and seems a bit less tubby.
    Originally posted by Jeff_H
    I like the A3 in both better.....thanks for the nice comparison Doc!
    Originally posted by Rid
    CC with A2 was something....haunting stuff.
    Originally posted by RCM78
    The CC-A2 sounds much better then the A-3. The A-3 seems to have alot more mids and even less lows then the A-2. It sounds tinny and thin compared to the A-2.

    The PGn sounds good with either magnet. The A-3 seems to sound more round with a little more low end.


    I kept the CC with the a2 (due to the floyd rose), and the PGn with the a3 as you hear it in those clips.

    B
    FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

    Comment


    • #3
      nice work....
      I like it if isame settings and riff is used. I just can better compare the sounds....

      I think I like the C3 over the C2
      RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
      TS 7 (modded)
      Hot Rod 50+ XL
      Framus Dragon 4x12
      V-AMP II for practice

      Comment


      • #4
        but i like the A2 PG over the A3 PG weird
        maybe
        'coz the difference with the pg is not that big
        RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
        TS 7 (modded)
        Hot Rod 50+ XL
        Framus Dragon 4x12
        V-AMP II for practice

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Marcel
          ... the difference with the pg is not that big
          I agree!

          I went with the a3 in the PG to get a little more highs while keeping the overall characteristics as they are.

          B
          FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by dr.barlo
            I agree!

            I went with the a3 in the PG to get a little more highs while keeping the overall characteristics as they are.

            B
            i am not really hearing more highs on the a3 pg. i thought the a2 has more highs though it's not logical coz a3 must have more highs...
            weird
            or maybe this are the high mids...
            RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
            TS 7 (modded)
            Hot Rod 50+ XL
            Framus Dragon 4x12
            V-AMP II for practice

            Comment


            • #7
              In my experience, A3 sounds a bit brighter than A2, but I think that is more from upper-mids. There may be more highs too, but they're the more transparent, twangy, more articulate highs rather than the chimy, sweet highs of the A2.
              Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
              Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
              Originally posted by Sosomething
              "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

              The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

              Comment


              • #8
                i like a3 in pg better too
                Guitars:
                87' Gibson Les Paul Custom- Stock PUs
                86' Carvin V220- Super distortion neck, tonezone bridge....
                87' Cort Unknown Model, Modded- Dimarzio Super Distortion Bridge with Alnico V mag.

                Amp:
                Bogner Ecstasy-stock Tubes
                Marshall JMP 50 watt- stock Tubes
                Fender Deluxe 90-Solid State..:-P

                Comment


                • #9
                  Awesome test! Thanks.

                  I liked alnico 3 in both. I was looking for more highs from a Pearly Gates neck and a CustomCustom bridge. Sounds like alnico 3's is what I should try.

                  How would I get alnico 3 magnets? How would I get the swap done? Would a guitar tech know what to do? HELP!

                  Guitars:

                  1. Gibson 57 Reissue with antiquity humbuckers
                  2. Gibson Studio (winered) with Pearly Gates set

                  Amp:

                  I. Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mr. Loud
                    Awesome test! Thanks.

                    I liked alnico 3 in both. I was looking for more highs from a Pearly Gates neck and a CustomCustom bridge. Sounds like alnico 3's is what I should try.

                    How would I get alnico 3 magnets? How would I get the swap done? Would a guitar tech know what to do? HELP!

                    I've gotten my magnets from www.ampge.com.

                    Swapping is easy. take out the pup (you don't need to de-solder or anything, just slip it out from under the strings) loosen the bottom plate screws, grab the magnet with a needlenose pliers, and pull it out. CAREFULLY

                    After that, just throw in the new magnet, tighten the plate screws and put the pup back in your guitar. Takes me about 5 minutes.:6:
                    Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                    Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                    Originally posted by Sosomething
                    "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

                    The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by korovamilkdud
                      I've gotten my magnets from www.ampge.com.

                      Swapping is easy. take out the pup (you don't need to de-solder or anything, just slip it out from under the strings) loosen the bottom plate screws, grab the magnet with a needlenose pliers, and pull it out. CAREFULLY

                      After that, just throw in the new magnet, tighten the plate screws and put the pup back in your guitar. Takes me about 5 minutes.:6:
                      Thanks a bunch.

                      Now that you mention how to grab the magnet and pull it out, I remember some thread from the old forum containing a guide about how to swap magnets. Or was it the custom/59 thing? I am not sure.

                      ???
                      Guitars:

                      1. Gibson 57 Reissue with antiquity humbuckers
                      2. Gibson Studio (winered) with Pearly Gates set

                      Amp:

                      I. Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/faqdescr.shtml#flipmagnet

                        Check it out. You'll like it.
                        Originally posted by Pink Unicorn Horsey
                        Dumbness on massive idiocy with the stupid dumb-dumbnity of ridiculous WTFation in the dumbass of you-idiot.
                        Originally posted by Sosomething
                        "How do I improve the tone of my ThrasherKidzz-O-Blaster combo??"

                        The answer is always "burn it, dumbass."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by korovamilkdud
                          http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/faqdescr.shtml#flipmagnet

                          Check it out. You'll like it.
                          I did check it out and I liked it!

                          Thanks korovamilkdud.
                          Guitars:

                          1. Gibson 57 Reissue with antiquity humbuckers
                          2. Gibson Studio (winered) with Pearly Gates set

                          Amp:

                          I. Marshall JCM2000 DSL401

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            there was also a site with nice pictures about flipping/changing magnets ...
                            RG 550 [JB | SingleSizedHole(TM) | V1 (to be replaced)]
                            TS 7 (modded)
                            Hot Rod 50+ XL
                            Framus Dragon 4x12
                            V-AMP II for practice

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I am very glad that you guys found it helpful. That was the purpose!

                              Mr. Loud, I see that korovamilkdud did a great job in answering all your questions. Welcome aboard the magnet-swpping frenzy!

                              B
                              FaceBook; SoundCloud; Barlo's Blues; Barlo Digitalized; Soundclick!;

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X