No announcement yet.

Solo question (bending + holding notes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solo question (bending + holding notes)

I would love to solo like those that can bend and hold a note over a several chords in a progression. Weird thing is, anytime I try that, even though I may be in the right key, the note seems to clash with all but one or two notes. So how do players do this and make it work? I’ll try to find some examples of what I’m talking about. Rocky George did it a lot in Suicidal Tendencies.

heres one example, about 33 seconds in. he hits a note then a harmonic and dives it with the whammy. Is the whammy part more calculated than it sounds? If I tried that it would sound like garbage. His sounds musical, ya know?

Last edited by DankStar; 07-28-2020, 10:10 PM.

My guess would be to aim for/bend to the common tones of the chords in question. For example AMaj7, C#m7 and DMaj7 all have a C#, so bending to the C# and holding it should work over each chord without clashing. Does that make sense? I'm not too confident in my knowledge, to be honest...

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
      My guess would be to aim for/bend to the common tones of the chords in question. For example AMaj7, C#m7 and DMaj7 all have a C#, so bending to the C# and holding it should work over each chord without clashing. Does that make sense? I'm not too confident in my knowledge, to be honest...
      Yeah, I think I need to think more like that when I work out a solo.

Comment

His solos and lead runs on that whole album are just incredible. They always blend so well into the song. Such an under-appreciated player by the mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by nexion218 View Post
          Theoretically it makes perfect sense.

Comment

I think in the song, it is probably extreme volume causing that long sustain. Guitarists over the years have tried all kinds of things to have that sustain, from pedal compressors, to onboard sustainers.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Lots of distortion, possibly compression, plus a long delay. And like Nexion said, pick a note that is in all the chords you are playing over.

Comment

Well...

There's a mathematical essence in what makes "harmony" harmony.-

It's related to the fibonacci sequence.

Small numbers, like, the octave is 2/1;

and then it goes, 3/2, 4/3 (and so on, if I'm right?)

The "equal 12 note" scale we all use on our guitars, aren't 100% in tune, but close enough-

So if you play the octave, or (I can't remember the english word for it), the next tone in the overtone sequence-

it will sound "more in tune" with all the chords in the songs. (Not counting for any transponations (sic?)

Cheers!

-Erlend
                If somethings important- send a PM. I might be offline for long periods. Rock on!!!

Comment

DankStar, do you know if he is using a Harmonizer Pedal or playing naturally? I am a little familiar with his playing style but I have no idea what gear he is using.

It's possible that a pedal like this will get the same result without you having to change how you play - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s53q-hZb_bc

Comment

I tend to do similar things when layering up guitars for recording. I use an Ebow to do it...the notes change depending on the harmony of the song, but it is a really cool effect.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                      I tend to do similar things when layering up guitars for recording. I use an Ebow to do it...the notes change depending on the harmony of the song, but it is a really cool effect.
                      I didn’t know that. I need to try one of those

Comment

Working...
                      X