banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Testing my new 30W DIY tube/ss hybrid kit amp (Cort X6 SA Blackouts neck pu)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing my new 30W DIY tube/ss hybrid kit amp (Cort X6 SA Blackouts neck pu)

Started to put this together a couple of nights ago. it's an Aliexpress Tube pre/SS power amp kit I got shipped for $14.00. Bought the box for it off Amazon for about $10.00. Thought it would be fun to use with my modelers.

Here a quick/sloppy demo with my Cort X6 SA's Blackouts neck pu into my little Zoom G1X Four pedal (Nux Loop pedal into the Aux input) -> Amp kit's input -> Speaker out -> DI box -> DAW (Reaper)

Works great for recording & sounds really nice hooked up to my FRFR stereo speakers too. Louder than I will ever need for home use/practice/recording as well

Waitin to hook it up to my Mooer GE300 and see what that sounds like...
    Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-01-2020, 11:19 PM.
    "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
    If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Same thing ..this time with my Grote semi-hollow guitar... (passive "Fokin - Rocket Queen" A2 neck pu)

If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Awesome! Looks like a satisfying project.

Questions -
      ​​​​​​— are the power cables just twisted together without solder?
      - did it come with a 3 prong cable, or does it go out to some type
      of walwart?
      - did it already have jacks or do you need to modify it to accept 1/4”!
      Last edited by DankStar; 08-02-2020, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks! ...it was a fun little project to mess around with. I'm still not really done, need to add a few finishing touches lol.

Regarding your questions....yeah, the power cables were twisted together in the pics ...actually took those a bit earlier (while I was still checking the PS connections out)...

The output is solid state so just a two-pin input... like with most of my big hi-fi amps. It works with a 18-0-18V 5A tranny.

The two jacks in front are 'aux in' and 'headphone out'...but I used the 'speaker outs' at the back of the board (had'nt yet hooked them up in the pics) so I'd get the power amp output for my recording.. The 'headphone out' is just the preamp. As of now I'm undecided whether to use speaker posts/spring-type-connectors or 1/4" output jacks at the back for that..dont think I'll have place for both. The speaker connectors make it easy to hook up to my FRFR speakers, while the stero 1/4" inch out would be better for recording.

I'll also need some ventilation (drill a bunch of holes at the back/maybe the sides/bottom too...)..'cause it runs pretty hot with the lid on after an hour or so...

So still a little way to go...

Youtube

Comment

That is so cool. What is the purpose of the tube section? It appears to just serve as a power amp.

Comment

That IS cool. Did it include the tubes for $14? Can you overdrive the tube front end for real tube distortion? Gotta link?

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post
              That IS cool. Did it include the tubes for $14? Can you overdrive the tube front end for real tube distortion? Gotta link?
              Thanks.. really like it myself! Yeah, with tubes. It does'nt really seem to distort much ..seems pretty clean. Maybe if you throw in a diode somewhere haha?

I got this kit in March but it reached me a couple weeks ago (thank you covid 19 lol) ....unfortunately they have gone from free shipping to $37.oo for shipping by DHL. The good news is they dropped the price from $14.00 to $11.00 or so .

They've really upped shipping costs across Aliexpress ridiculously for Covid 19, but if you look around you will probably still find someone selling it with free/low shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...27424c4dJI5pjE

Youtube

Comment

Hooked it up to my Mooer GE300 last night ("Znm Lead" patch) ...sounds pretty fine I think!

With my Cort X6 SA's Blackouts neck pup...

Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-03-2020, 08:41 PM.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Top-L View Post
                  That is so cool. What is the purpose of the tube section? It appears to just serve as a power amp.
                  Thanks! The tube section is a preamp/buffer... (I can use it as just a tube-pre from the headphone output). The output (power amp) stage is solid state.. (main/speaker outputs)

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Phantasmagoria View Post

Thanks.. really like it myself! Yeah, with tubes. It does'nt really seem to distort much ..seems pretty clean. Maybe if you throw in a diode somewhere haha?

I got this kit in March but it reached me a couple weeks ago (thank you covid 19 lol) ....unfortunately they have gone from free shipping to $37.oo for shipping by DHL. The good news is they dropped the price from $14.00 to $11.00 or so .

They've really upped shipping costs across Aliexpress ridiculously for Covid 19, but if you look around you will probably still find someone selling it with free/low shipping.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3281...27424c4dJI5pjE
                    I just ordered it from that link. Shipping was only $1.08, but with a $2 "new user" discount. So my total was $12.67. This will be fun to play with.

Thanks for the heads up.

Comment

Sweet! ...& no problem.

....sounds really nice recorded from the headphone output (preamp out) as well, but I'm done with the clips now

Youtube

Comment

Plz post box link and it’d be sweet if you tolexed it!

Comment

Bought the box locally on Amazon.in (India) ..so I'm not sure if it's available to buy/ships to the US (?) I can't find the link in my purchase history either so sorry about that dude....

As for Tolexing ...too much of a PIA

I like how it looks anyway

Just going to put some rubber feet at the bottom & I'm done as far as aesthetics go
                          Last edited by Phantasmagoria; 08-04-2020, 01:05 AM.

Youtube

Comment

Mine's going to go into one my "flea-market" wooden cigar boxes.

Comment

Working...
                            X