School me on DAWs, IRs, amp simulators and computer recording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on DAWs, IRs, amp simulators and computer recording

Apologies if this has been asked to death, but I looked through the last year's worth of posts here in the Tips and Clips room and didn't see anything directly on-point, and with the speed that software moves, I figured going back much further may be fraught with stale info. So here it goes...

I'm looking to get a home recording setup going. I bought a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre interface and have a reasonably new Mac laptop. I also have a Mesa TC-50 head with the DI out option. I'm not afraid to spend money on good equipment, but this is also a hobby so I don't want to spend thousands. Here are my general questions :

1. Do you have a recommended (accurate and easy to understand) resource for learning basics about DAWs, IRs, computer recording in general?

2. What DAW(s) do you recommend? Why?

3. Are any amp simulators actually good? If so, what do you recommend?

4. Or will I get much better results using my Mesa and IRs for cab simulation? If so, do you know of good IR libraries (I'm not going to have the ability to record my own cab)? I also have a bass (and a pre-amp) that I'd like to record with.

5. Are there things that you think newbies often overlook or don't think about that I should be aware of? Any advice you think is good to impart on people looking to get into home recording?

I've started looking into these things, but there is so much out there and I'm not really sure what is trustworthy and what is simply advertising shaped to look like reviews. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    DayGlo

I just had to pick a DAW, watch a bunch of tutorials, and learn as I go. I use Traction Waveform, which is a great DAW for a guitarist. I use Helix Native, or my Fractal connected via USB. THe newer Mesas with the CabClone included would work, too.
    The best advice is to learn the basics from watching videos, but then record as much as you can. There is no substitute for good playing and good arrangements...almost all DAWs can capture the sound that you input.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thanks! I figured that YouTube University was going to be my best bet, but felt a bit overwhelmed with all the content and not being able to assess how good the information they are giving is.

I'm curious, how do you like Helix Native?
      DayGlo

Comment

Helix Native is great for those that don't have something like a Fractal or Sansamp hardware unit. It is easy to tweak, with lots of presets available out there. There are good sales now and then, so it is worth keeping an eye on. I do use aftermarket IRs, from Ownhammer, which are amazing.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I like reaper as a daw. Download is free, powerful and simple to use. Lots of youtube tutorial videos to learn along with.

If you get a decent mic, and practice with all sorts of settings, they all can make great music.
          Last edited by 80's_Thrash_Metal; 11-21-2020, 01:43 PM.
          https://open.spotify.com/artist/7e2g...TLy6SQH5nk44wA

Comment

Another Reaper user here. It’s not actually free, but the demo is full-feature and the cost is low for non-professional use.

I’ve been recording guitars through my tube amps with dummy load, with an H&K Red Box in between for cab/ mic simulation. It’s not as flexible as a library of IRs, but it gives good results with just a few switches to flip. I spend my working life dealing with software, so it’s nice to just deal with a hardware box when it’s time to play.

There’s no use spending big money on mics if you’re not in a treated room. Having a couple different mics to learn on would be good, though. An SM57 is the no-brainer first choice. For a second, different mic, try a moderately-priced condenser like a Rode NT1 or similar. Those two will cover a lot of ground and let you figure out what you like or don’t like.
            Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
            Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
              Another Reaper user here. It’s not actually free, but the demo is full-feature and the cost is low for non-professional use.

I’ve been recording guitars through my tube amps with dummy load, with an H&K Red Box in between for cab/ mic simulation. It’s not as flexible as a library of IRs, but it gives good results with just a few switches to flip. I spend my working life dealing with software, so it’s nice to just deal with a hardware box when it’s time to play.

There’s no use spending big money on mics if you’re not in a treated room. Having a couple different mics to learn on would be good, though. An SM57 is the no-brainer first choice. For a second, different mic, try a moderately-priced condenser like a Rode NT1 or similar. Those two will cover a lot of ground and let you figure out what you like or don’t like.
              I'm using Ardour on Linux, but would recommend Reaper as a great beginner DAW on Windows. If you're using a Mac, Garage Band is a great place to start with an upgrade path to Logic Studio if you really want to go there.

I agree that an SM57 is a great choice for a beginner microphone; I like it best on guitar cab or snare drum, but it'll work for a quick scratch vocal take. However in an untreated room I wouldn't recommend a large diaphragm condenser as a second mic. The room I record in has rather minimalist DIY treatment, and the other two mics I kept are an SM81 that I use on acoustic guitar and an SM7B for vocals. An SM7B and Cloudlifter will run $400-550 depending on new/used/condition/etc, but it's great in poorly treated spaces due to its excellent off-axis rejection.
              Originally posted by crusty philtrum
              And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by 3'scompany View Post
                1. Do you have a recommended (accurate and easy to understand) resource for learning basics about DAWs, IRs, computer recording in general?
                Just YouTube your brains out, otherwise get a conversation going with a long-time user of the software you choose.

For me, ProTools. Industry standard, native to Mac. Anything done in it can be taken to a studio later and finished off without a hitch. But if you're beginning and will never do that, there are more than half a dozen options. Even GarageBand is quite effective to get your feet wet in home recording. Some viral artists got their start using GarageBand.

Lots of amp simulations are great. I've used Line 6, Tech21, Zoom. I've heard AxeFX in person, which sounded pretty dead-on. Also, in-the-box like IK Multimedia have some reasonable simulations (though not so flexible, it's not like having the actual amp and turning the knobs behaves the way the real amp does; really they just have some good pre-set sounds.)

4. Or will I get much better results using my Mesa and IRs for cab simulation? If so, do you know of good IR libraries (I'm not going to have the ability to record my own cab)? I also have a bass (and a pre-amp) that I'd like to record with.
                IME cab/mic simulations are not so good. They improve the sound a bit, but they are not quite right. YMMV

5. Are there things that you think newbies often overlook or don't think about that I should be aware of? Any advice you think is good to impart on people looking to get into home recording?
                Don't set up your listening environment (monitor speakers) against a wall, or in a squared off room without sound treatment. You'll never hear exactly what's on the recording because the room reflections will alter the EQ and sound of what you are hearing. And keep the airspace clear around your speakers (don't have racks of gear nearby reflecting the speaker sound to your ears.)

Comment

Thanks so much for the input so far! Much appreciated!
                  DayGlo

Comment

I'm just getting in to Studio One. I'm using a Native Instruments Komplete 2 interface, and that came with a download of Guitar Rig 5. I've also got an Alesis V-Mini USB keyboard to access other soft instruments etc. My first 2 attempts are elsewhere in Tips and Clips, and it's a pretty steep learning curve, but good fun!

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it's a plan!

Comment

Apologies if this has been asked to death, but I looked through the last year's worth of posts here in the Tips and Clips room and didn't see anything directly on-point, and with the speed that software moves, I figured going back much further may be fraught with stale info. So here it goes...
                      Recording technology hasn't changed much in the past 15 years.

I'm looking to get a home recording setup going.
                      Welcome to the hobby! It can be a challenging and rewarding pastime.

I bought a Focusrite Clarett 2Pre interface
                      Great choice, I love Focusrite products, too!

and have a reasonably new Mac laptop.
                      Should have enough grunt for recording projects as long as you don't go too heavy with the soft synths.

I also have a Mesa TC-50 head with the DI out option. I'm not afraid to spend money on good equipment, but this is also a hobby so I don't want to spend thousands. Here are my general questions :

My recommendation is to forego the DI output from your Mesa head and use a speaker-level load capture/IR combination device like the Two Notes CAB series, or Suhr. I recently switched to using the CAB M with my amps and I really like it! You will need a dummy load for your amp, however, so you will need to research what the best option for you is.

Logic Pro X. It has great workflow, world-class stock plugins, amazing workflow, and it runs natively on a Mac. It's intuitive to use and has a great (and great-sounding) adaptive drum sampler/player as stock. It's affordable, will play nicely with any PnP hardware you have, has a wide base of knowledgeable users, has multiple options for bouncing down to mp3 and other formats, and has a TON of great-sounding sample instruments that come stock with the DAW.

Logic's am sims are good, but my advice is: ditch the sims, use your Mesa with a 2 notes CAB.

See above. For bass I would recommend using a dedicated DI, there are TONS out there, I like SSL, the new DI from Rupert Neve Designs is great, Radial, or the MXR bass DI+.

5. Are there things that you think newbies often overlook or don't think about that I should be aware of? Any advice you think is good to impart on people looking to get into home recording?[

I've started looking into these things, but there is so much out there and I'm not really sure what is trustworthy and what is simply advertising shaped to look like reviews. Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.
                      This is kind of all one subject. The main thing to keep in mind is that it's called engineering for a reason; don't set unreal expectations for yourself, and don't expect professional results overnight. Enjoy the journey!

This is an unmastered song from my prog rock project. The guitars are all using the CAB M with my amplifiers and pedals, the bass is DI, the synths are various hardware units. The drums were written with Logic Drummer (later played by a session drummer) and it was recorded/mixed in Logic Pro X.

Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 11-26-2020, 02:12 PM.
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
                      X