banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

30 day modular synth deep dive/composition challenge (sketches inside)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 day modular synth deep dive/composition challenge (sketches inside)

I've recently become very annoyed at my inability to write anything lasting with my modular synth setup. I found that as it grew, my actual productivity/usability with the modular decreased. This is not an uncommon phenomenon and one that I've struggled with over the past 3 years or so. Part of the reason is that my personal method of composition and the way the modular synth works are antithetical: I tend to have an idea pretty much conceptualized from scratch: the theme, tempo/key changes, instrumentation, etc. But the modular synth is more about sonic exploration, finding the sweet spots and undiscovered sonic countrysides or skylines not achieved through typical means. (I don't even use a standard keyboard or MIDI controller with my modular setup).

So, I've decided to challenge myself! I have a swath of time off between now and the end of the year and I am going to use that time to try and crack the Modular Code. Every day for 30 days I am going to compose and record a single piece of music using the modular. The only rules I have for myself are that 1) I have to do it every day for 30 days, and 2) I have to try a new patch or synthesis method for each composition. Everything else -- tempo, instrumentation, key sig -- is up for grabs.

I'll post the fruit of my labors here in case anyone is interested in taking the journey with me into the deep corners of synthesis and electronic music composition.

DAY 1

DAY 2

So far I have started very small and very simple: just three modules, two of which are semimodular synths in and of themselves: The Moog Mother-32 and Moog Subharmonicon. The 3rd modular is a sequencer which I use as my master clock and to sequence the Mother-32.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

DAY 3 (with patch notes)

Click image for larger version

Name:	CxZCrlF.png
Views:	133
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	6033156

Comment

What’s your setup?
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

As far as workflow is concerned, I have three sections to my setup.

SECTION ONE is 15U/104hp of Eurorack modular synths.

Name:	ahM1WGx.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	6033373

SECTION TWO are a few standalone MIDI synths (there are a couple missing from this photo, I swap them out depending on what I need).

Name:	GRATfI8.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	6033374

SECTION THREE is another 12U of rack-mounted synths from Roland, E-Mu, and Kurzweil.

Comment

Wow, that’s incredible.

I’m kind of glad I never got into Eurorack, it’s as addicting as guitar pedals but quite a bit more expensive. Thankfully a few apps have scratched the itch for me.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Which apps are you using? I know VCV is really popular, though I've never used it. I think there's also an app for Ableton that's a virtual modular synth, and there's the softube plugin.

I really love the modular but aside from the occasional subtractive synth line I've made virtually no substantial music on it, which is why I'm doing this challenge. No more faffing around lol.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              SECTION THREE is another 12U of rack-mounted synths from Roland, E-Mu, and Kurzweil.
              Wow. I have that same little Boss drum machine. Amazing how good it sounds for being 30-something years old.

Comment

Originally posted by ArtieToo View Post

Wow. I have that same little Boss drum machine. Amazing how good it sounds for being 30-something years old.
                Yup! I have a few drum machines but that’s still my favorite!

Comment

Another day, another patch.

Okay, now I feel like I'm starting to really scratch below the surface. This patch is based on similar 'marbles' patches, but instead of it being a single pitch that ping-pongs back and forth, I did my own take on it by randomising pitch from the Turing Machine and also creating random hocketing via the Quantimator. The randomisation if via Branches.

Sound:

Sight:
                  Click image for larger version  Name:	MVBnzCN.png Views:	0 Size:	116.8 KB ID:	6034147
                  Last edited by TwilightOdyssey; 12-01-2020, 05:42 PM.

Comment

DAY 5.

Comment

DAY 6.

Comment

DAY 7.

Comment

DAY 8.

Comment

DAY 9.

Comment

DAY 10.

Comment

Working...
                              X